Anyone still smoke cigarettes?

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Back in the 70s as a teen, we thought it was cool to have a few puffs. In the early 80s as a new "adult" attending frat parties and bars, I smoked when drinking.
Once I surpassed "the bar days", and entered my 30s, I smoked after meals. Well, smoking lingured.
I've been trying to quit for 3 weeks now. Down to 5 a day. Crave sweets? Strange.
Anyone else?
Thanks
Peace
I smoked for a looong time.
Most of my life.
I quit over 4 years ago; 5 years this coming January.

The way I did it in one month was by chance, wasn't planned, it just got in my head to start doing something about it.
In December 14 2009 I've had four packs of cigarretes left. I started by smoking less, and by skipping my first cigarrete of the morning. Then I would skip the one after lunch. Not all the same day, just cutting down by skipping one smoke that you would normally not skip.
Anyway, the less I smoked in between, the more the next one felt like a buzz, and felt dizzy.
It really was making me sick.
You're breaking a routine and your system tries to adjust. Nicotine doesn't stay in your body too long, but the habit of smoking is what's harder to break.

Buy some nuts and raisins mix, gum or anything for when you have the urge to smoke. The urge will go away the minute you replace it with nuts, gum, etc... and you start to forget about it for another while and before you knew, you've only had two cigarretes when you would otherwise had 5 or so...

I haven't had a puff ever since
So I started associating smoking with dizziness. I couldn't even smoke a full cigarrete anymore
So I continued that pattern until I smoked my last cigarrete January 13th 2010.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really battling those periods of "sickness & dizziness" now.....tried to stop my smoking and caffeine intake cold turkey all at once. That didn't turn out too well. So now I'm using an e-cig and weening myself off of both. "1st of the year"....is my target date to be off of both for good. But I got to tell you, I'm eating everything in sight. :laughing7:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall the hell I put myself through, so I'd be able to inhalant cigarette smoke in my lungs and not be tagged a whimp and the hell I went through to quit. I'm maybe 12 years without a puff. Funny how unpleasant a smoker in public smells to me these days, but when I first tried quitting that smell of a smoker made me want a cig' real bad . I wonder how much money that all cost me ?? I still do like a bit of Skoal wintergreen long cut ever now and then when I need to put myself to a work project or the pressure is on me. Guess I'm still a codependent addict, but feel a whole lot better then I was as smoker. My prayers are for those who want to quit do find a way to success. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going on 4 months and a week or so since I quit. It's all about timing. You have to be ready to quit and build up the motivation (or disgust for the habit) before you take the plunge.
Otherwise, it will like the times when I threw my pack in the garbage only to fish it out the next day. :laughing7:
I feel like I'm done for ever and can hang around my smoker friends with no temptations.
Of course there's still the odd passing thought about smoking but when that happens, I laugh at how absurd that notion is!
The old expression "Never say never" is something I abide with but there's one exception.......I will NEVER smoke again!
Best of luck to anyone who is trying to quit. You have my support. :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Dave.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smoked for 16 years & haven't had one for over 2 months. E-cigs helped immensely.

SDBob

Jun 11, 2013
SE South Dakota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ5, Tesero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember like it was yesterday......
around 1970 when I was 10 years old I won a cigar at the carnival playing the crane game. You know, that little mechanical crane in the glass square box. I really wanted the Zippo lighter but got the cigar instead (can you imagine that happening today). First thing my friends and I did was hide behind the nearest garage and smoke that damn thing and I learned how to inhale ???
That soon turned into a 2 pack a day habit and more on the night shift. When I became a police officer in the juvenile division, one of my duties was teaching kids the dangers of drugs, alcohol, and cigs ect. I didn't want to be a hypocrite so I quit cold turkey.....can't say it was easy but it was the best thing I ever did. The cost now is unbelievable and I don't know how people can afford to smoke. Looking back at my Police career now that i'm retired it's interesting that when I was a rookie 9 out 10 cops, jailers, support staff all smoked. When I retired 2 years ago it was just the opposite.
For those of you on your quitting journey....keep it up, it gets easier:thumbsup:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never smoked myself but when my father quit he would constantly have a fireball candy in his mouth. When my neighbor quit he was constantly chewing on straws. Ive heard things like this will help to break the habit. Good luck!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This worked for me. Smoked for 20 years, clean now for 13 years.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to use these to get my medical Coverage to pay

Untitled23.jpg

been awhile so just Guessing at this point...but
I think I went 3 or 4 Months on step 1
then the same on step 2
soon after I started on Step 3 I just didn't feel I even needed
the patches anymore.

I did Smoke with the Patches the first week or so,
Becuse I really Didn't want to give up such an Enjoyable Habbit,
or waste a single pinch of Tobacco.
but to shut my Doctor's up I said I would take there $%^&% Patches :(

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a yeast infection in my throat thanks to the symbicort that has been prescribed to me... COPD sucks. I gotta be honest, I miss the days when I would smoke away without a care in the world, paying for it now...:BangHead: Still, no smokes since my meltdown last August, oh yea, I have also developed a relationship with my rescue inhaler...good times......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a yeast infection in my throat thanks to the symbicort that has been prescribed to me... COPD sucks. I gotta be honest, I miss the days when I would smoke away without a care in the world, paying for it now...:BangHead: Still, no smokes since my meltdown last August, oh yea, I have also developed a relationship with my rescue inhaler...good times......
Sorry to hear Dave....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a seller notion.....we plan a really nice, exciting T-hunting outing next year and the only way you can go is if you've kicked your habit, whatever that may be. That should motivate some people and even create that support group. :thumbsup:

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
..just like religion: only issue - accountability

be well..

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love my smokes. Having one while I write this.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
35 years hardcore smoker here...friggin loved to smoke.a little over a year ago I was wheezing every night,was getting winded too easily and decided to try to quit.A friend gave me an ecig vaporizor and bam...I quit.I'm totally addicted to my vape but the wheezing ended,got my wind back,sleep better,can taste things again on and on.Now my wife is 6 months without lighting up and rarely uses her ecig.

I'll get off the ecig but dam...best thing I ever did and the ecig made it easy for me.can vape in the house too...big plus for me.good luck !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread