CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 70s as a teen, we thought it was cool to have a few puffs. In the early 80s as a new "adult" attending frat parties and bars, I smoked when drinking.
Once I surpassed "the bar days", and entered my 30s, I smoked after meals. Well, smoking lingured.
I've been trying to quit for 3 weeks now. Down to 5 a day. Crave sweets? Strange.
Anyone else?
Thanks
Peace

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. I have tried many times. It is a very strong addiction. People will say, "Just stop". And maybe some can. Good Luck and keep at it. Not many can quit the first try. But, do not give up.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Used to smoke Red72s, but when i met my wife, years ago, she saw me smoking one of my only cigarettes in front of her, and said it was her or the cigarettes..

I chose my wife, but she allows any cigar that is given to me.. A great trade off indeed :)!!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started in the 70's as a teen, like you, pretty much smoked a pack a day up until 3 years ago. Had a massive heart attack, spent 5 days in the hospital, and have never touched another cigarette! You can do it ..........good luck

Pa_Dirtfisher

Sep 28, 2014
Mercer County
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Safari. Whites TRX pin pointer and Deteknix pin pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most dumb kids I started smoking at 13 because we thought we were "Cool" and I continued to smoke for the next 26 years. Last year on 9/26 I quit cold turkey and haven't smoked since. I was smoking over 2 packs a day when I quit, you just got to keep in mind if you have even 1 puff that you start back at 0 minutes all over again. Most people will hate or not believe it but it was the first and only time I ever tried to quit. So I guess I didn't try to quit smoking, I just quit. I also promised myself I would never become one of those preachy ex smokers. It doesn't even bother me to be around it at all or go out and have a few beers at the bar. Good luck, take it day by day and you'll succeed.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I at one time i smoked 3 packs a day my wife smoked 1 pack a day… We tried all the tricks to quit smoking only after meals eat life savers you name it we tried it it did not work like that … THEN back in 1971 i said to my wife lets just quit cold turkey no more smokes and no more stupid things we tried to do and ​….AND MY WIFE AND I HAVE NEVER SMOKED A CIG AFTER THAT DAY AND IF I AM RIGHT THAT WAS ABOUT 44 YEARS NOW … We just quit and never wanted a smoke after that day in 1971….. WILL POWER

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I smoked analogs from 19 to 35. I switched to ecigs and haven't looked back.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do it cold turkey, It takes approx. 3 weeks before it gets better. I quit for about a year but went right back to it. Had my yearly physical 2 weeks ago, and the doctor told me I had the early stages of copd. I'm ready to quit for good this time! I've just got to set a date to give up my Camels. Still not ready to give up my beer :laughing7: Anyways, good luck man!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! I quit 18 years ago cold turkey, while still drinking beer, that made it harder. I had the shakes for a week or so. I kept busy, doing anything to keep occupied. Now they have nicotine gum, Habitrol, Nicoderm CQ. I don't know if they help or not, but they are worth a try.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as a youth I tried baccy and weed and never cared for either. had many friends that did but somehow I was immune I guess.
However, the Ladies..........

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our friend Muddyhandz started a thread a few months ago titled "I Quit".....perhaps you could find inspiration and support on that thread.... If I was more computer literate, I would post the link to it here, maybe a Bronco or Dolphin fan can do it for me:dontknow:

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I quit 3 years ago cold turkey.I have a cigar once or twice a year.If nothing else i saved money.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got faith in you, you can do it. I smoked for 50 years, and most times it was 2 packs a day. About 4 years ago, I was working outside when I lost eye site in my left eye. Only lasted 15 or 20 seconds so I kept working. Next day, same thing but it lasted about 3 minutes. Long story short, wife made me go to hospital, they did a check of my carotid arteries, and with in 4 hours of of entering the hospital, I was in the operating room. Doc told my wife that my left carotid artery was 98 % clogged and it was breaking apart and it was the pieces that blocked my vision in the left eye. Then he scared me, he told me he had only seen 2 worse clogged arteries, 1 in a text book, and 1 in a cadaver. Had my last smoke on the way to the hospital. Now I use fire balls as a substitute smoke. Cheaper and better for you, and when your detecting a school yard, you don't have to keep looking over your shoulder to see if anybody is watching you smoke on school grounds.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I quit two years ago and have gained 75 pounds and that sucks. I can barley get around.

Papadawgdan

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Hanford, Ca
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been over 24 years since I quit, was a two pack a day guy. Finally was ready, went to a tobacco cessation class and quit drinking for a year. I wish you the best of luck and if you are truly ready you will find it to be that it will be the easiest time you ever quit.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quit 8 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. Watched my dad work his whole life, and then come down with COPD when it was time to retire. I figured that wasn't going to happen to me. I went to a seminar and got hypnotized. It worked for me, and I quit cold turkey.

Remember, they say that there isn't much that's worth doing that is easy. Stay focused and stay off the darned things. They'll be the death of you eventually if you don't, and the money you'll save in a year will be like finding a healthy cache buried in your own backyard.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I did :( I love the taste of a Good Smoke.

plus like roaddust66 , I haven't gained 75 yet.
but I can't stop gaining weight now :(

Last edited:

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I did :( I love the taste of a Good Smoke.

plus like roaddust66 , I haven't gained 75 yet.
but I can't stop gaining weight now :(

Hey, I gained about 50 lbs myself. Atleast I know that if I decide to start excercising, I'll be able to breathe while doing it. To be honest, that was the other reason I quit. Got sick of running out of breath while climbing hills out in the woods. Mushroom hunting in the spring is a lot more enjoyable now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting