The Bounty Hunter brand and its abilities to find gold....

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
usair727 said:
I dig(have my Son and Grandson) with me lol....I look and they dig, I dig it all if it is 6" or less they just hate to dig deeper the 6" inches.But here in my little town, dig it all or get nothing. I hate pull tabs....! the inventer should be made to pick up every tab that was ever used...!
phil

I think he was burned at the stake . . . . ;D

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Monty said:
Functional,(for some reason I want to call you funky!
Beats being called DisFunctional. :D
We agree on more points thand we disagree on. Virtually any detector will find coins providing you have the horsepower to get deep enough to find the "good stuff". My old BH will get down about 9,sometimes 10 inches and that is as deep as I am willing to dig most of the time. Also just about any detector will find gold, but it is up to the operator to determine when to dig it. It has the same or similar return as a lot of junk, and is therefore more difficult to find..

I would be willing to go down as far as a foot if I had a good indication that the nugget was big enough, (and that it really was a nugget). Even a nugget of a few grams, (about $50 U.S. at spot price), can justify several minutes digging to me, depending on soil conditions. Unfortunately, the larger nuggets seem to be around, or under larger rocks. :(

I was considering going up north to the Yukon, maybe summer of 2008 if all goes well, where they've found nuggets of a few pounds and more. I saw a picture of one that looked to be about 10 inches long by about 6 inches round. That would be a costly trip though, so I'd like to make sure I have a good MD with me, (and maybe a very large fuel tank).

Realde, I think they were talking about pure gold, nuggets to be precise. I think a lot of people who put down BH detectors aren't familiar with their top of the line units, rather see the really cheap models they put out for different retailers. And I'd have to agree with their assessment of the really cheap units, but what can you expect for a hundred bucks? I'm not trying to champion BH detectors, but if you have one of their better units you are not going unarmed and will probably do quite well once you master it. Monty

I'm really not up on which BH MD's could be termed "top of the line", as far as they're use for nugget hunting, or what price those units would cost. I've already been given advice on other brands, from those with experience using the older nugget hunting MD's here in B.C. along with price estimates on what I should expect to be able to buy them for on the used market. So, I expect that my next MD will be purchased off of eBay, likely from someone in the U.S., as the selection available from the local market in Canada isn't all that great.

Before I lay out any cash for another MD I have some items I have to sell, as I'm becoming asset rich and cash poor. I expect I'll have to wait until mid June, or early July before I make the big buy, when I have a better idea of my finances.

F.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were spending the big bucks for such a trip, I'd darn sure make sure I had a dedicated gold seeking detector before I went. Top of the line BHs will run between 4 and 6 hundred bucks with the extra coils. But since BH merged with Fisher, the have come out with two new hi-tech detectors under the Tectronics name. There are some posts on them here on the forum. Monty

jeffinflint

Feb 10, 2007
That small gold, such as jewelry, is why I use an MXT. Sure, it’s a bit sensitive, noisy, but that is what it takes to find that small gold. I don’t mind digging some “trash”, it’s the nature of the beast. If I dig a thousand pieces of trash in order to find that one diamond piece of jewelry, it’s better than a mountain of cladish coins, that have to be cleaned to even be worth face-value. The reason an ultra-sensitive machine like and MXT is nice, is because the post, or whatever you call that little needle type thing on the back of an earring, is very very small, But my MXT will detect it. No problem. There are other machines that run on a bit higher frequency that will also do the job.

Good luck and HH, Jeff in Flint, MI

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=Monty .. Realde, I think they were talking about pure gold, nuggets to be precise.

H Monty , as usual you are right, but I never have heard of any gold in Nature being pure, generally runs from 60% to 70%+.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Monty said:
If I were spending the big bucks for such a trip, I'd darn sure make sure I had a dedicated gold seeking detector before I went.

I plan to use whatever I make this summer, to cover the costs of the trip. If that means delaying the trip an extra year or so to get enough to cover the trip, then so be it. I don't have the resources to put out the cash in advance, in the hope I can recoup it later.

Top of the line BHs will run between 4 and 6 hundred bucks with the extra coils. But since BH merged with Fisher, the have come out with two new hi-tech detectors under the Tectronics name. There are some posts on them here on the forum. Monty

Thanks for the info on the BH and Fisher merge to Tectronics. Thats the sort of information that I like to see, as I would never have thought to ask. I never followed all the industry movements and only happen upon mention of companies like Compass going out of business.

I've heard of a company that makes the "Treasure Hunter" Md's, but they look exactly like some of the "Made in China" MD's I've seen and I have no idea if they are any good or not. Ditto with the Seban MD's? (I think thats what its called.) I keep seeing them on eBay, but can't find much mention of them anywhere else. There seems to be new brands coming out all the time now.

Most of what little cash I have is committed until the middle of June, so I'm just trying to get a feel for whats out there and what its capabilities are. I'm also watching the forums over at nuggethunting.com , but I don't see much mention of those "off" brands. I don't know if I mentioned it previously, but I have a couple of items of value, that I'm planning on selling on eBay next month and if I get anywhere near what they are worth, I would be seriously considering a high end MD. But, brand names don't impress me as much as actual capability in realistic local conditions.

Thanks again for the help!

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread