Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you have my permission ( just stay on public property unless you get the owner to ok it

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha ha. I was thinking I may have a "lost" bracelet I would like to recover if I need to get an ok. We'll see.

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to get a permission letter for the fairgrounds near me as it's owned by the county and I already knew it.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No dude in his right mind would tell you that you cant do anything.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah you got the blonde pass

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

.. is there someone I need to contact about getting permission? ......

I hunt fairgrounds all the time, and ...... just "go". If there's no express rule that said "no metal detectors", then ...... why would you think you "need permission" ? If there *is* a fence, they're no doubt for the fact that fairgrounds charge admission (when the fair is in session). So the fence is so that person's pay. And in-so-far as when no activities are in progress, my experience with fairs is that a good time to go is when the post-cleanup is going on, for example. Or other times when the gate is opened for other reasons. For example: Our fairgrounds has a few community buildings, where meetings like AA or veterans groups, etc.... are held. Or opened for when there's maintenance going on, etc....

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our Fairgrounds is within a 340 acre county park complex, and has several old home sites within its foot print, my go to spot before, during and after the fair. Just go, and make them find you, and come tell you that you cant detect. Good luck, Fairgrounds are a good spot, ours is over 100 years in the same place

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Checked it put today and the gates were locked. Private property sign posted. I still did a light sweep in the parking lot, nothing good. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a new place to check out. Thanks for the comments!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Checked it put today and the gates were locked. Private property sign posted. ....

Huh ? "Private Property" ? So is your particular fairgrounds a public fairgrounds, or a private property? Or perhaps it's one of those convoluted legal arrangements like this example:

There is a Rodeo grounds in my city, which ... is on city property. HOWEVER, the city "leases" it to a committee for $1 per year. And then, sure, there's signs that say "private property" (I suppose). Yet .... you tell me, is that private property, or public property? All I know is we help ourselves (gates bound to be open at various times, for various purposes). Have not had any problems . But ....... sure , that doesn't mean that someone *couldn't* gripe. So too could someone gripe if you hunt the city park sandbox. We're in an odd-ball hobby that draws lookie-lous, has connotations, etc.... So .... I hate to say it, but sometimes out-of-sight is out-of-mind.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now why would they lock the gates. I go from town to town and I hunt fair grounds, school yards and parks. I have not had any troubles detecting, and never seen any gates locked. Just keep checking back and check to see if there is a ground keeper if the gates stays locked. Good luck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked it put today and the gates were locked. Private property sign posted. I still did a light sweep in the parking lot, nothing good. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a new place to check out. Thanks for the comments!

the local fairgrouds here Is Private Property also.
but permission was easy to get.
The gates are never locked here though,
Because there is a Harness racing Horse Track that is used daily
to keep the horses in shape.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread