CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree w XL-ProPro. Olive oil can do good things to coins.
If your piece of copper something is bent, don't try to reshape flat.
Don't ask how I know. ;(
GL
Peace

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I fully agree w XL-ProPro. Olive oil can do good things to coins.
If your piece of copper something is bent, don't try to reshape flat.
Don't ask how I know. ;(
GL
Peace
I know that ya'll know what not to do,haha! No details yet in the coin and may never be. I am pretty sure it is an old coin but I have no idea what. It seems thicker than some coins I've seen though. I will wait patiently. (<Drums table with fingers)

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Olive oil ain't the fastest. Longer soaked the better.
Be patient and keep drummin'. ;)
Peace

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not believe licking it will damage it

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I just wanted to let you know, never use anything acidic, such as vinegar, or lemon juice, for I will destroy any remaining detail on the coin, lemon juice or vinegar may make non-dug copper coins look shiny, but I will just destroy non-dug coins. Anyways, Good Luck on IDing you coin, and accurate diameter and/or weight will help narrow it down.
I'm guessing it's a colonial copper, most likely a King George Halfpenny

Large Cent 1796-1834: Weight: 10.89 grams Diameter: 29mm
Large Cent 1835-1857: Weight: 10.89 grams Diameter: 27.5mm
King George II Halfpenny: Weight: 9.37 grams Diameter: 28.2mm
King George II Halfpenny's Weights vary from 8.61-9.37 grams
King George I Halfpenny: Weight: Same as King George II, Diameter: 27.8 grams (note: distinctive rim, and high relief design)
King George III Halfpenny: Same as King George II half penny

King George I Halfpenny: $_57.JPG
King George II Halfpenny: normal_gb_1730_george-II_halfpenny_o_06_r_06.JPG
King George III Halfpenny: ha70.jpg

Thanks, Coinman123

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinman, you think acidic liquids destroy coins, you won't believe what I did with a tumbler!
Bout 3yrs ago, I dug an 185? Flying Eagle cent. (My first of 2) I recently bought a coin tumbling device at the time. I was so impatient to date the coin, I "tumbled" it. Now all I can discern is the eagle. Just imagine if it were a '56!
Who knows now.
Hard lesson learned.
Peace

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tumbling is best done only with cheerleaders

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard you could soak it in Distilled water and then freeze it. The water expands and brakes off the dirt.
I haven't tried this method, but it sounds safe enough. Good luck!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
it doesn't have much detail at all that I can tell and has been hit by a plow or something and is really green. I can see a very faint rim on this and I want to at least try and see if this has any detail at all and what it is. It was found along a very old road. Help,what do I do? Do I try lemon juice? Olive oil soak? Hydrogen peroxide?

Did you try nose grease, CG?

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that I have stopped laughing at that crazy JG I should really try and take a picture of it after I get it out of the oil compared to present day coins. If it's a coin,it will be my test coin to ruin or not because like I said, it has a huge gash in it. I still am in belief it is an old coin because of the edge I see. Coinman I am intrigued by those George' coins,they are rare to find I'm sure in Tennessee but you never know.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you take pics of it, try shining a flashlight from the side to show some shadows in the details... it helps.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that I have stopped laughing at that crazy JG I should really try and take a picture of it after I get it out of the oil compared to present day coins. If it's a coin,it will be my test coin to ruin or not because like I said, it has a huge gash in it. I still am in belief it is an old coin because of the edge I see. Coinman I am intrigued by those George' coins,they are rare to find I'm sure in Tennessee but you never know.

There is always that chance though, a lot of King George Halfpennies (or any coin from that time) were left in circulation for a along time, sometimes 100 years or more. In colonial America the British Halfpenny was the most used small denomination coin, and was still used a little in the early 1800's. I found a 1650's Louis XIV French Liard in a town from the 1730's, it was most likely in circulation for a while and brought over from Europe by a colonist. Also, There is the chance it may be a state copper from the late 1780's. Good luck, I hope it is a great coin.

Coinman123,

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is always that chance though, a lot of King George Halfpennies (or any coin from that time) were left in circulation for a along time, sometimes 100 years or more. In colonial America the British Halfpenny was the most used small denomination coin, and was still used a little in the early 1800's. I found a 1650's Louis XIV French Liard in a town from the 1730's, it was most likely in circulation for a while and brought over from Europe by a colonist. Also, There is the chance it may be a state copper from the late 1780's. Good luck, I hope it is a great coin.

Coinman123,
I need to leave it alone and let it soak some more but nothing seems to be coming off in the oil. I do swear I think I see the letter V around the edge but it might be wishful thinking too. Coinman what part of New England are you in? When we were in Maine a few years ago someone was digging in a park and we stopped to talk to him. He had just dug a Pine Tree schilling and I wanted to jump out and help him.:tongue3:

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay seriously I'm scared this is gonna be onna those threads that people dig up years from now waiting to see the results and I'll be the laughing stock of Treasurenet.I'm thinking this either is a coin gone so far it's not going to ever get any better or its something else. Carry on.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know what the mystery item is now,it's a large US cent! The olive oil is slowly working but I could make out the detail of the tip of one of the leaves on the wreath on the back of the coin. I know it's bent,I know it's toasted but it's my first 1800s coin and I am still excited and hoping to find another in better condition. Mystery solved.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to leave it alone and let it soak some more but nothing seems to be coming off in the oil. I do swear I think I see the letter V around the edge but it might be wishful thinking too. Coinman what part of New England are you in? When we were in Maine a few years ago someone was digging in a park and we stopped to talk to him. He had just dug a Pine Tree schilling and I wanted to jump out and help him.:tongue3:

I metal detect in New Hampshire, being in New England I have the potential to find items very old, where I live it's not as old as some other places in New England, for there is no 1600's activity where I live, but there is definitely a lot of 1700's activity.

Coinman123,

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what the mystery item is now,it's a large US cent! The olive oil is slowly working but I could make out the detail of the tip of one of the leaves on the wreath on the back of the coin. I know it's bent,I know it's toasted but it's my first 1800s coin and I am still excited and hoping to find another in better condition. Mystery solved.

congrats on your 1st 1800s coin, be patient take coin out every 2 wk and put in new oil, try for a month or 2
see if it gets any better. i have never tried this,but ive been told, you can pour the used O oil, through cheese
cloth and use it again on not so corroded metals

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread