A darker side of Relic/treasure Hunting.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I think this situation goes hand in hand with the wife saying "you already have too many toys" ......a 67 mustang mod/restore and a 1975 Suzuki bike side project (bike is to make money for the Mustang) ......plus she has a ex husband who MD as well (in her case Deja vue) but she does get more into it when I find something interesting.......could be worse, I could be drinking and flirting (like her ex lol)

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I guess I am lucky also. My wife was happy to see me get excited about an activity. She supports my detecting even though it is not her cup of tea......

Mikeraydj: Whatever you're slipping into her coffee, the rest of us would give anything, and any amount of money, to have. You're a lucky guy.

Tony in Virginia

Dec 14, 2012
King and Queen County Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC / FISHER GOLDBUG
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Know exactly how you feel. Talk to your wife about your passion and tell her you will only go on certain days. It helps to "sacrifice"your day occasionaly to do something with the family.Good luck, but ultimately , you have to make yourself happy first.Or, just get falling down drunk on your day off , soiling yourself and your recliner.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Look at it this way, we spend the bulk of our organized time WORKING so we can exist at a reasonable level. People use to have HOBBIES like stamp collection, baseball card collecting, etc which help them to maintain there sanity and add a bit of contentment to there lives. Today, detecting is one of those hobbies that helps clear the mine. That's my view. Frank _Hay in sky.jpg

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said Frankn.
Not many are content, or at the least, thankful for what they already have?
Peace

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try detecting some parks and take your son so he can play on the swings and bars and what ever else they have for them to play. Take a picnic lunch and your wife along also. Then try to hit some beaches so he can play in the sand and swim there. I have taken my daughter since she been 5 she is now 11 and she is getting interested in it now. Took 6 yrs but now she will ask if we can go and detect. Not every time that I go just once in a while.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gonna huck in a little advice from my own expierience.I think you can have it all.At age 4 I started taking my little girl with me on short hunts...she would bring a butterfly net.When that got old(age 5 ish)I would bring her bounty hunter jr.just in case she wanted to try but always what ever toy or such she wanted.I kept the hunts short and sweet.
After her 7th birthday she started to want to go to places she would pick..she would run amok with her friend and I would do a bit of hunting.

My wife started to show some interest in researching places that would be fun for all of us to go..bam..success !!!I always have a machine with me in my truck so even a half hour hunt could be snuck in.

Fast forward to today,daughter is a teenager..loves to bring a friend and go on hunts with me.My wife has her own equipment and is damn good with it.The three of us plan trips,camp and look forward to time spent together more than ever before.This hobby has been a god send for us.If I want to go on a hunt with my huntin buddy I get nothing but heartfelt,"good lucks".
with a little effort and forethought I think you can have it all.
good luck
pat

Tony in Virginia

Dec 14, 2012
King and Queen County Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC / FISHER GOLDBUG
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm gonna huck in a little advice from my own expierience.I think you can have it all.At age 4 I started taking my little girl with me on short hunts...she would bring a butterfly net.When that got old(age 5 ish)I would bring her bounty hunter jr.just in case she wanted to try but always what ever toy or such she wanted.I kept the hunts short and sweet.
After her 7th birthday she started to want to go to places she would pick..she would run amok with her friend and I would do a bit of hunting.

My wife started to show some interest in researching places that would be fun for all of us to go..bam..success !!!I always have a machine with me in my truck so even a half hour hunt could be snuck in.

Fast forward to today,daughter is a teenager..loves to bring a friend and go on hunts with me.My wife has her own equipment and is damn good with it.The three of us plan trips,camp and look forward to time spent together more than ever before.This hobby has been a god send for us.If I want to go on a hunt with my huntin buddy I get nothing but heartfelt,"good lucks".
with a little effort and forethought I think you can have it all.
good luck
pat

You are very lucky.

joekidwell

Nov 8, 2014
Greeneville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a fisherman and I have a problem.

During the summer I try to fish once a week and it drives my wife crazy. I get three days off a week and feel that I deserve a beak after working 4-12 hour shifts in a row. It's not like I stay out all day, I'm usually gone 5 hours or less. Why can't I have a cool wife that loves to fish haha

tadbitangelny

Greenie
Feb 27, 2013
Finger Lakes NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find something your kid likes to do (besides video games) and make a point of doing it with him once a week. Pick your wife some flowers once in awhile or make her a romantic dinner for two or offer to do the laundry for the week. Once you put in the time to do something for her she won't care a hoot how much you MD. That's just some advice from the opposite site of the spectrum. It's all about balance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread