A darker side of Relic/treasure Hunting.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This my not make since but here goes....

2 times in the past year I have heard from guys saying how the "Obsession " of Relic hunting
hurt their family in the past ,both saying things like " I should have spent more time with my wife & kids. My favorite quote was from this past weekend, "I know how the 49'ers Felt".

Many times my wife complains about my detecting , my son is 61/2 & Cares nothing about detecting
(i think this is normal for 6 & a Half). While I do not hunt everyday , I hunt Sundays all day usually , maybe all day once a week & a couple hours maybe once a week. I do the Day during the week more so in the spring & Fall or on a site that's under development & going away quick.

I don't see much wrong with this but she does , we still do things as a family but 80 % of their time is 'wife= Smart Phone, Games' & 'Son= Video Games , Movies "again Normal".

I have an Addictive Personality & Keep wanting that "Rush" of Finding something Cool.
but then again in the End as they say " You can not take it with you" & One can have only so much Stuff most people will never see anyway.

As humans many like me always want more 'Greedy Much?'
Heck I would find "The Holy Grail" & be out looking for the Ark the next day..:icon_scratch:

Reckon how much is Enough ???

Anyone else Feel like this or Know someone who does?

Just Thinking ....

Davers

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the virtual world has to be controlled or it will consume one's life. As a parent and spouse I think part of that role is doing just this, maintaining some measure of control over the environment and content around your children and your relationship. Life is meant to be lived, not watched or texted. Everyone should have the right to choose their own path in life but there is a balance that also must be maintained, especially in the young who are still going to experience, and should experience, a lot of new content. Excess of anything is bad so perhaps you and your wife need to sit down and set some new parameters. When you get my age and your children are grown and they have their own lives you will have all the time in world but right now your family needs you and this time will pass away faster then you can possibly know.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is not limited to relic hunting.

Golf, drinking, smoking, religion, sailing, fishing, hunting, eating, internet forums, knitting . . . anything can be addictive.

Moderation is the best thing - Cleobulus

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Golf, drinking, smoking, religion, sailing, fishing, hunting, eating, internet forums, knitting . . . anything can be addictive.

Exactly. OP, can't you take your family along? When I go, my son (2y/o) likes to dig. My wife walks around for exercise. Maybe your son will want to play in woods.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear about these issues all the time. I'm single & that's looking better & better everyday. I don't like being told what to do, having a boss even annoys me. What's wrong with having one day to yourself? NOTHING AT ALL!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all have obligations, family, work, community, etc. In order to take care of these obligations we must take care of ourselves first.
And I kinda feel bad for kids these days. $500 cell phones, computers, gaming systems and many more, entice kids to stay in the house. Back in the day, we had none of that. We came home from school, changed into our "play clothes", grabbed the bicycle and headed for the nearest ball field. Home was for eating and sleeping.
Just my 2cents. Just wish I had an 1864 2cent piece. ;)
Good luck
Peace

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I thought it was gonna be another ghost story!I think Charlie nailed it,there are worse things you could be doing with your time.And one sin is no greater then the other so to speak.Personally hunting refreshes my mind and soul,not to mention probably keeps me out of trouble.Besides the family,gotta enjoy something in life man.HH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mangum hit the nail on the head.

I can understand the moral/ethical obligation to deal with one's kids. Sure. But in-so-far as spouses, it seems that they would have entered into the relationship with a respect for your personal space. Ie.: to have known ahead of time that you want to detect. And if the day-ever-came where I had to "get my wife's permission" of when & how much I can metal detect, that would be a sad day indeed.

I forewarned my wife before we married, that when duty-called (beach storms hitting, old-town urban demolition going on, etc...) that I would be gone. That's just me. She was pre-warned.

An analogy: Let's say you're a star NFL quarterback (Joe Montana, etc...). When the super-bowl occurs each year, you will be called on by the media to be at the star events, put in your comments to the sports analysis, etc... But lo & behold, your wife announces to you the day before, that on super bowl Sunday she wants you to go shopping with her. Or to the opera, or whatever. Seems to me that you could tell her "tough". I mean, with all due respect for the spouses wishes, it seems that sometimes, they can not, nor should not, be able to "tell you what to do".

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHILDREN AND FAMILY ARE THE REAL TREASURES!!

I look at detecting as a very enjoyable hobby, along with hunting, fishing, golf and other pursuits. I enjoy them when I can. Children and family are obligations I committed to when I said those vows, and chose to have children. Over the years we as parents sacrifice a lot in terms of time and treasure for our kids futures, and family.

Finding my first gold ring was pretty exciting. Finding a gold ring w/7 diamonds, and all the rings and gold/silver thereafter, or catching a 30lb salmon, my first 8 point buck. Good memories, but can't compare to holding my newborn children in my arms for the first time, your child saying "I love you daddy", watching your child's important accomplishments as they grow up. A new grandson. Those are the real things in life worth remembering.

As my youngest child is entering college, and I approach retirement, MY time begins, to enjoy my hobbies as I choose. As I look back, it was all worthwhile, no regrets in the sacrifices I made. Life is good!! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh i know what you mean Charlie P .
I'm still a Slave to Cig's & Know many a Man who has worked their 'productive' lives away and missed all the key points in their family's lives & Guy's who Golf or Fish Every Spare moment they have.
Hmmm..Many are recovering Substance abusers.
Moderation is def,the Key.
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. OP, can't you take your family along? When I go, my son (2y/o) likes to dig. My wife walks around for exercise. Maybe your son will want to play in woods.

Been There Tried That...LOL

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear about these issues all the time. I'm single & that's looking better & better everyday. I don't like being told what to do, having a boss even annoys me. What's wrong with having one day to yourself? NOTHING AT ALL!

Yeah I Recall You saying you were Single, 'Stay that way Until you are sure that you found the one that completely knows & understands you'..Dr Davers LOL

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was gonna be another ghost story!I think Charlie nailed it,there are worse things you could be doing with your time.And one sin is no greater then the other so to speak.Personally hunting refreshes my mind and soul,not to mention probably keeps me out of trouble.Besides the family,gotta enjoy something in life man.HH

Yep, Like I tell Her "I could be out chasing Skirt's" or "Spending $ 'Other than Gas' every Time I leave the House.
& Hey You got a few nice Rings out of it". Def, Could be worse.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mangum hit the nail on the head.

I can understand the moral/ethical obligation to deal with one's kids. Sure. But in-so-far as spouses, it seems that they would have entered into the relationship with a respect for your personal space. Ie.: to have known ahead of time that you want to detect. And if the day-ever-came where I had to "get my wife's permission" of when & how much I can metal detect, that would be a sad day indeed.

I forewarned my wife before we married, that when duty-called (beach storms hitting, old-town urban demolition going on, etc...) that I would be gone. That's just me. She was pre-warned.

An analogy: Let's say you're a star NFL quarterback (Joe Montana, etc...). When the super-bowl occurs each year, you will be called on by the media to be at the star events, put in your comments to the sports analysis, etc... But lo & behold, your wife announces to you the day before, that on super bowl Sunday she wants you to go shopping with her. Or to the opera, or whatever. Seems to me that you could tell her "tough". I mean, with all due respect for the spouses wishes, it seems that sometimes, they can not, nor should not, be able to "tell you what to do".

We been Married 11 years now & she knew I detected when we Got married & Her 'Trying' to tell me When I can & can't go detecting is where the Strife Comes in.
I figure as long as I'm still getting my duties around the house done it's Cool.

The guys I Originally Spoke of were Old School Relic Hunters ie, They Started Back in the Early 70's when the relics were MUCH more abundant & before Development Ruined 1,000'S of acres prime Relic Hunting Lands.
At our local Relic show I commented on one guy's Big Collection of Confederate Buttons & he Said " Yeah that's Many months of time put in digging those things, I was Obsessed & it was hard on my family"
I know hindsight is 20/20. One must make the best Decision he/she can on such matters now ( While we still can).

+ Joe Montana's Wife was getting $$$$$$$$ Paid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHILDREN AND FAMILY ARE THE REAL TREASURES!!

I look at detecting as a very enjoyable hobby, along with hunting, fishing, golf and other pursuits. I enjoy them when I can. Children and family are obligations I committed to when I said those vows, and chose to have children. Over the years we as parents sacrifice a lot in terms of time and treasure for our kids futures, and family.

Finding my first gold ring was pretty exciting. Finding a gold ring w/7 diamonds, and all the rings and gold/silver thereafter, or catching a 30lb salmon, my first 8 point buck. Good memories, but can't compare to holding my newborn children in my arms for the first time, your child saying "I love you daddy", watching your child's important accomplishments as they grow up. A new grandson. Those are the real things in life worth remembering.

As my youngest child is entering college, and I approach retirement, MY time begins, to enjoy my hobbies as I choose. As I look back, it was all worthwhile, no regrets in the sacrifices I made. Life is good!! :)

Sounds like you made some Wise Choices over the years. Very Cool..
Davers

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know excatly what you are talking about. When I first started, I was dragging my son around every chance I had..he was only 4 at the time. But I did that for a couple years. and then his mom ended up moving back to Florida and taking him with him. I lived (still do) with the guilt of being selfish and not doing things HE wanted to do. Thou we did have some good times, because he is a great kid. I just look back and wish I would have focused a little more time with him.

What sucks...is I go to Florida a few times a year, and STILL all i can think about is dectecting. Luckily my oldest boy (13) actually loves detecting and when he came to visit me this summer, we had a good full week of it and he never wanted to quit.

Im actually going there in 2 weeks to see them again, and debating if I should take the detectors...My oldest wants too, but I get so caught up in it, Its all i can think about, when I should be thinking about spending time with my family

Ok, sorry for all that..still working on my first cup of coffee

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see much wrong with this but she does , we still do things as a family but 80 % of their time is 'wife= Smart Phone, Games' & 'Son= Video Games , Movies "again Normal".

Davers

The answer is "everything in moderation". If everyone is spending all their time doing things alone, you have a real problem. Nothing wrong with having personal interests, but you have to have some time doing things together as a family.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
You detector guys think you've got it bad? Try being a gold prospector/miner! I'm out in the field for weeks at a time either looking for new areas to claim or working the claims I have already. When I'm not out in the field working, I'm in the shop building/repairing equipment!!! Try finding a lady that doesn't mind that! I can tell ya it's harder than finding proof of Big Foot. Of course this is the life style that I picked for myself and everything has its costs.....

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my wife was always happy to see me going out detecting. no matter how often i went, probably cause she got first dibs on any jewelery i found. plus we would save up all the clad till we had enough to go out to eat, see a movie. there are ways to keep the better half happy while we enjoy our hobby.

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it any wonder they call marriage an institution. as I observe the new modern woman demanding more and more influence over the family men are being religated to a subordinate role. modernation may bring us to a point where marriage will no longer be fulfilling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread