Metal Detecting a 1953 Dodge

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are the horns....not rare.might get $100 scraping all that iron....and with a clean site you might find some coins.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of coins, take a look at where the drivers seat is or was. People often have money fall from their pockets in cars. Plus they would be silver in 53.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Good point but it is full of junk from the eroted car. I will check there soon. One of you think it is a horn why? Why not a speaker? Do u have information? May I see the info if there is any? Why do u think they are 100$? Are mine?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated they are the horns, the old cars usually had two. Not rare at all and no value.

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the frame,body parts,motor,scrap them for about $10.00 per 100 lb...throw the horns on top of the other metal for an extra 10 cents.looks like $120 laying around to me.....

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Having managed an auto salvage yard in a previous life I can tell you that if you have the spare time and the desire to separate various components you will make out better than scrapping it whole. For example the starter & generator will scrap as electric motors and pay a premium. The engine pays more as well. Transmission will go for the same per pound as the engine assuming that in those years they were still cast steel & not aluminum. Body will sell for a lower price than the frame & rear axle which are both considered either #1 or #2 unprepared steel. Any aluminum parts will bring more as well. Radiator & heater core are Copper. Strip out any wiring as well and keep it separate. You're young. Take the time to dismantle it and haul it in separated and you might have $300 there. :thumbsup:

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having managed an auto salvage yard in a previous life I can tell you that if you have the spare time and the desire to separate various components you will make out better than scrapping it whole. For example the starter & generator will scrap as electric motors and pay a premium. The engine pays more as well. Transmission will go for the same per pound as the engine assuming that in those years they were still cast steel & not aluminum. Body will sell for a lower price than the frame & rear axle which are both considered either #1 or #2 unprepared steel. Any aluminum parts will bring more as well. Radiator & heater core are Copper. Strip out any wiring as well and keep it separate. You're young. Take the time to dismantle it and haul it in separated and you might have $300 there. :thumbsup:

thats GREAT advice ,thanks for sharing that info.bookmarked for future reference....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions