NO TREASURE, BUT A MUST READ POST: HORROR STORY OF A TICK AND EHRLICHIOSIS
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: NO TREASURE, BUT A MUST READ POST: HORROR STORY OF A TICK AND EHRLICHIOSIS

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    6990 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

NO TREASURE, BUT A MUST READ POST: HORROR STORY OF A TICK AND EHRLICHIOSIS

GOT NAILED BY A LARGE BLACK LEG TICK COMMON TO NORTHEAST , ON 10/27. FOUND AND REMOVED IT ON 29TH. IT WAS DEAD AT REMOVAL AND NOT ENGORGED, SO I GAVE IT NO THOUGHT. ON 11/4 WENT ON A HUNT AT 1 PM AND BY 3 PM NOTICED I HAD NO STRENGTH TO DIG PLUGS, HAD TROUBLE WALKING A STRAIGHT LINE AND FELT TUNNEL VISION AND LIGHT- HEADED. GAVE UP AT 5 PM AND DROVE HOME 10 MILES ALL THE WAY WITH THE HEAT ON. 11/4 WAS NEAR 60 DEGREES ALL DAY. GOT HOME, RAN THE PELLET STOVE UP TO 76 DEGREES AND I'M STILL SHIVERING. NEXT DAY I GO TO A SCHEDULED VISIT TO THE DOC ON ANOTHER MATTER, NURSE TAKES MY TEMPERATURE AND SHOWS IT TO ME-----102.1 DEGREES. AFTER TELLING THE DOC ABOUT THE TICK, DOC SENDS ME HOME SAYS TAKE SOME TYLENOL AS IT'S FLU SEASON. I SPEND THE FULL DAY AND NIGHT IN BED UNTIL 5 AM THURSDAY MORNING WHEN I GO INTO FULL BODY UNCONTROLLED SPASMS. I CALL 911, DRINK A QUART OF WATER AND THE SHAKING STOPS BEFORE THE RESCUE SQUAD ARRIVES IN 10 MINUTES. THE EMERGENCY DOC PUTS ME ON IV SALINE DRIP WRITES A SCRIP FOR DOXYCYCLINE, MY TEMP AT ARRIVAL IN THE ER WAS 101.9. FULL BLOOD WORK WAS TAKEN TO CONFIRM THE PARTICULAR VIRUS AND THEY SEND ME HOME AT NOON. KEY DETAILS ARE -- AROUND 7 DAY INCUBATION BEFORE SYMTOMS, THERE IS NO RASH OR "BULLS-EYE", AFTER THAT, IN 1 TO 2 DAYS YOU FEEL LIKE YOU GOT HIT BY A BATTLESHIP AND LASTLY THE FINAL SYMPTOM AFTER THE CONVULSIONS IS------COMA. THIS BEATCH IS RIGHT UP THERE WITH EBOLA AND LYME. NOW I KNOW ALL TYPES OF TICKS CAN WREAK HAVOC ON YOU. BETTER NOW, SO BACK DIGGING ON TUESDAY.

ec
    May 2013
    Ecuador, America
    2383 times
    Thank you for sharing this important information..

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    8301 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Wow glad you're ok bud. Scary stuff
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3197 times
    Prospecting
    So what was it? I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever 18 months ago. Hit me the same way, but I was watching for the initial symptoms, and when they showed up, I hit the Doc's. I had really bad headache, fever, and extreme fatigue. Doxycycline killed it, but I was weak and tired for another 10 days.
    Jim

us
    Oct 2014
    NY
    Whites V3I
    90 times
    Hit a local historic park last week. Came home and found ticks crawling all over me. I think I found them all but it really sleeved me out. Signs all over the park telling you that the ticks have Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Keeping ,my fingers crossed and will stick to the grass fields for now.

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    6990 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    THIS BUG IS VERY SIMILAR TO RMSF. ALSO WANT TO MENTION IT SUCKS MOISTURE CAUSING SEVERE DEHYDRATION, ALSO CAUSES LIVER ENZYME ISSUES, CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM ISSUES INCLUDING EXTREME WEAKNESS AND FATIGUE. MY THOUGHT PROCESSING WAS GREATLY IMPAIRED AND SLEEP WAS NOT POSSIBLE. THERE IS ALSO A POSSIBILITY IT CAN INCREASE CHANCES OF DEVELOPING PARKINSONS OVER TIME, ACCORDING TO THE RN. THERE IS NO IMMUNITY SO YOU CAN BE RE-INFECTED. EHRLICHIOSIS IS SNEAKY SINCE THERE IS NO RASH OR PAIN AT BITE SITE AND IT IS JUST ONE MEAN SUCKER PUNCH

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16313 times
    Relic Hunting
    Seems that these little buggers will get us all, got bit earlier this summer and I spent two hours digging a hole in my thigh making sure I got it all out.

Glad you feel better and called it in, too many family Dr.'s seem to have no idea when it comes to ticks.

us
    Zodiacdiverdave

Mar 2011
    The North Atlantic Ocean
    XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
    1368 times
    clad to hear you got through it all right Ace. I hate those little buggers.
    ZDD
    Living the dream

Charter Member
    us
    John

Feb 2013
    Arkansas
    I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, Nokta Anfibio, White’s TRX, Profind 35
    1343 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow, glad you made it. Prayer needs to be said for you because folks TYPICALLY have symptoms for years.

This past Spring, I was moving furniture for someone and got a red bite on my chest. I itched, swelled up in a knot and hurt for weeks and after week 2 turned into a bulls-eye. I didn't display any symptoms other than the bite, but I was concerned. I've had thousands of tick bites, but thankfully nothing of concern resulted from them as far as I know of.

Take care.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3197 times
    Prospecting
    Anybody that KNOWS they were bitten by a tick needs to be watching for ANY flu-like symptoms for the next 14 days. If anything shows up, get your butt to the Doc. And DO NOT let the Doc tell you it's flu. Every day that treatment is put off increases the risks of lifetime problems. This IS a BIG deal, for outdoor people.
    Also, treat your outdoor clothing with Permethrin. It's cheap, and easy. Once treated, you're good for a month, even through several washings. Then treat again.
    Jim
    pat-tekker-cat and TJE like this.

Feb 2013
    Longview, Texas
    1906 times
    Another symptom is it causes you to forget to take the all caps key off

us
    Jun 2012
    Northeast PA
    Minelab Etrac Garrett Propointer Garrett Propointer-AT Sampson T handle shovel
    10334 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    holy crap ace, good thing you got treated when you did!, sorry that happened to ya but thanks for the heads up

glad youre feeling better, a few keepers will make ya feel even better!!

us
    Knowledge in machine struck coinage and colonial through 1800's Relics.

Feb 2013
    New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Woods
    Teknetics T2 SE (DST) Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup) 15" T2 coil Pro-Pointer Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Fisher F2 Fisher F-Point
    5697 times
    Coins and Relics
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I hope you feel well soon, hopefully because you treated it so soon the symptoms will not last for a while.
    2014-2017 Finds
    1700s Sundial
    165? french liard
    1696 1774 1730s 17?? copper
    1723 irish penny
    1730 KG coin toy
    2x AU 1803 LC
    1722 1/2 Penny
    1779, 1781 Real, ? 1 Real
    NJ Copper 1786
    1805,1838 LC
    26 Coppers 17 colonial
    175 1720-1850 buttons
    40 Musket Balls
    1906 1912 1934 dog Lics
    16 1700s Buckles 1 silver
    2 1700s spigot
    3 Thimbles 1 silver
    Cleaning Finds:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...ns-relics.html

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    6990 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    BLOOD WORK RESULTS CAME TODAY, POSITIVE FOR LYME, POSITIVE FOR ANAPLASMOSIS, BOTH CAN BE CARRIED BY BLACK LEGGED TICK COMMON TO NORTHEAST.

us
    Jun 2012
    Western MA
    Garrett at pro
    876 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by port ewen ace View Post
    BLOOD WORK RESULTS CAME TODAY, POSITIVE FOR LYME, POSITIVE FOR ANAPLASMOSIS, BOTH CAN BE CARRIED BY BLACK LEGGED TICK COMMON TO NORTHEAST.
    Hope you get that taken care of. One of my dogs got anaplasmosis and he was pretty sick for a while until the antibiotics kicked in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links