Importance of threshold?

FollowTheBeep

Jul 15, 2014
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
Racer, ACE 250, Propointer AT, Cen-tec pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am planning on upgrading from an ACE 250 and I'm considering the AT Pro but my biggest question is in regard to threshold. Most of the midrange detectors have threshold but I really don't know how important that is. I mainly detect parks, large fields and old farm houses in central IL. Other detectors that I'm considering are the F70, the F5 and the Omega 8000.

Any advise would be appreciated.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Threshold can do two things for you depending on the detector~ one it lets you know the detector is working :) in the other variations in its tone can tell you changes in ground conditions (conductivity) a clue you may need to adjust GB as well as indicate that you may be passing near or over a target. All metal mode is probably the most useful function when paying attention to threshold as discriminate modes tend to have very fixed cut offs when reporting target or ground conditions.
It depends on the detector~ some have threshold but its just a tone and does nothing~ others provide useful information.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Concerning threshold Mike Hillis in writing about the Fisher F5 said it best. " The threshold is the door that controls what signals get in. At 0 the door is wide open. Below 0 the door is partly shut. Above 0 threshold does not open the door more, it merely increases the volume. A higher threshold is usually preferred when you're looking for very small targets, small gold for instance." That coupled with the gain makes for a very powerful detector.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
well, in the "old" days, threshold meant something. Nowadays, computers inside the detector decide "beep" or "no beep", .... and threshold is merely the default sound for "nothing" or "no threshold".

Still though, I much prefer a threshold. Because as d-dancer says, sometimes that tells you the machine is "on", haha. And if you have a machine like the excaliber or Sov., for instance, the dropping-out of the threshold tells you that you just went over something rejected (iron or whatever). So too is it with the 6000d series: that nulling "told you something". Something that if you'd have zero threshold, you'd not have heard. Thus a lot of guys don't like the silent search of machines like the CZ, etc....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the machine and its capabilities, but I like to think of the threshold as being that secondary means within the search cone. Return signals have to be strong enough to trigger an actual tone response, whereas, with the threshold "hum" responses that are too weak to trigger an actual tone response can often be detected in the disruption of the threshold, these usually being extremely small or very deep targets. As Tom in CA already pointed out, on machines like the Excal & Sov these threshold disruptions can also offer clue of potential targets that would otherwise be missed. When return signals are very weak sometimes the machine can't process them accurately, so it basically refuses to tone, so there have been many good deep recoveries made simple by noticing these various threshold disruptions.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO
Threshold is not super important 'to me'
As Tom & BS said it has it's advantages , It really depends on the person & the site,targets your hunting.
As my first machine was silent when I got an Older Big Box XLT the threshold Annoyed me. ' But was able to tune it out'
Then I got another newer mfg, 1998? XLT & It has the Threshold on in the back ground all the time, Did not tune it out this time , I just got used to it.
With the Tejon I enjoy the Silent Search but a person can get used to whatever the Sounds IMO.

Really the only time the Threshold noise of the xlt bothers me is when I'm next to a road or other loud noises that make hearing my pin-pointer much harder.
Don't care for the Vibrate mode on my PP much but would use it if I had to.
So ,'Whatever Floats Your Boat'.
GL
Davers

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the ETrac, I prefer threshold barely audible. When it blanks, momentarily goes silent, an undesired target is usually under coil. Not always though. Depending on site, I will investigate a blank further.
Each detector you've mentioned are good. Obviously, the ATPro is waterproof. Pro-mode can be deep. The F70 is blazingly fast and light as a feather, but is initially hard to tame it's chatter. The F5, is much like a Tesoro Cortez. Adjustments are easily made "on the fly". All things considered in your circumstance, I'd probly purchase an ATPro.
Give Bart@BigBoysHobbies a call. He will surely help you.
GL
Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread