Inherited Nostalgia

TwoDogMan

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Friends,

I'm a brand new member of this forum, and a complete novice at detecting. I'm here because I recently inherited a bunch of stuff from my uncle's estate, and one thing among the trove was ... a vintage early 80's Garrett American S1. I popped two new batteries in it, downloaded the owner's guide and, although it's now early winter in Wisconsin, I'm excited to try some treasure hunting. (I suppose that will be a springtime venture, but that gives me some months to bone up on some learning and tips.)

I do realize this unit leaves a good deal to be desired given modern technology, but there's something very gratifying for me in owning and using this relic, especially as it belonged to my beloved uncle. It works, and it looks like something out of a Sci-fi B movie ... but I think it's pretty cool.

While I don't expect to be the Indiana Jones of treasure hunting, I do expect that this venerable antique will bring me some enjoyable hours of wonderful fun. So, as a rookie, I'm opening up this thread to ask for advice, comments and any thoughts anyone might have.

I'm all ears. Thank you in advance for anything you might have to offer.

Clay

OP
OP
T

TwoDogMan

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Don. I'm hoping some of the seasoned members will have some insight on the American S1, or other good tips. I failed to mention in the original post that my uncle was a dedicated coin collector, and a good many of his coins were found with that old detector. I was honored and privileged to inherit his extensive collection of coins as well. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Clay,
I'm more 'seasoned' than over 95% of the members, but I have no knowledge of the S1. However, I can give you tips that, I believe, everyone will advocate: Be proficient in the use of your machine, do extensive research; and swing slowly.
Don...

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome TwoDogMan! You will enjoy this site as much as your "new" detector.
Try "air testing" various coinage, both silver and clad. Gold, if you're lucky enough to have it. ;) Jewelry as well. Listen for tone variances. This will help you in the field.
GL
Peace

OP
OP
T

TwoDogMan

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here she is in all her 1982 glory ...

TLR_2994 web copy.jpg

OP
OP
T

TwoDogMan

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome TwoDogMan! You will enjoy this site as much as your "new" detector.
Try "air testing" various coinage, both silver and clad. Gold, if you're lucky enough to have it. ;) Jewelry as well. Listen for tone variances. This will help you in the field.
GL
Peace

Thanks ... have done just that. She's an older girl, she is. I tested silver, gold, iron, tin, rings, coins ... even a jaw harp. Miss Garrett makes one tone only. Of course, she IS 32 years old. I feel blessed that she has a battery tester!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions