Best detector for $600-$1000

Nov 16, 2014
Wausau, WI
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering about peoples opinions on what metal detector brands/models are the best in the $600-$1000 range. I looked at some similar threads, but they were on lower end detectors. I have found that the Garrett At Pro and the Whites MXT Pro seem to be the top two. I know there are other brands out there such as Minelab and Fisher. I live in WI, so I highly doubt I'd be finding any gold with it, just mainly coins and relics.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet!
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have used the AT Pro and it's a coin finder!
I've also found silver rings and two gold rings with it.
Best of luck

OP
OP
S
Nov 16, 2014
Wausau, WI
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks, what kind of metal detector do you use now? And would you recommend any other detectors besides the At Pro and MXT?

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest a used CZ machine. Best machine I have ever used. The only downside is that with its current coil it struggles in iron. Ive been told that can be fixed with a 5 inch coil though.

I used the AT Pro for almost 2 seasons and while it finds coins, and is waterproof, the build quality and placement of certain things on the detector is really poor.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, if you are hunting parks or waterlines which are plentiful in Wisconsin - you can certainly find gold rings , pendants . I've had
the MXT (not the pro ) mine was about $700. 10 years ago - I'm sure you could get a used one for half that . I've been happy with
it- although I sure like the advantage that the AT Pro gives you being water capable ! Swimming holes , shallow beaches - Oh yeah!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a used etrac for around a grand, sometimes less. Then you'll have a machine that you won't want to upgrade for a long time.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryaan21, I am very surprised to hear about the AT Pro not being built well (poor quality?) this is the first I've heard of it - I'm no "Homer"
for a particular band or model - (I've made no secret that I like my MXT ) but the reports here on T-net have been glowing for a few years
now , so this is a real surprise to me .

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to talk about what type of hunting you plan on doing and what types of site you are looking at. There are too many options that are great in one place and not great in others.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with every word gunsil says. You can get an ETrac in great condition for under $1000.
I fully disagree with the ATPro's build quality. It's a quality machine. I've had mine in excessively harsh climates. It's never failed me or needed service.
Welcome steve the pirate and HH.
Peace

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT Pro speaker and headphone jack went to hell, sent it in, got it back with the problems still there. Arm cup is cheap plastic. These are the problems I had, have read similar throughout the forum world.

The placement of the headphone jack and the fact that you need to buy some more gear if you want to use good headphones is also a minus.

Having said that, I did find a lot with mine when it was working. It sounds off on coins better than just about any detector I have used. But the overall quality of the machine I bought was not good.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that the Technetic T2 SE is a good metal detector for coins and relics. Than again, that is the metal detector I use and I have never used any other detector in that price range.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest a used CZ machine. Best machine I have ever used. The only downside is that with its current coil it struggles in iron. Ive been told that can be fixed with a 5 inch coil though.

I used the AT Pro for almost 2 seasons and while it finds coins, and is waterproof, the build quality and placement of certain things on the detector is really poor.
21.. Is right here the headphones and coil connectors are just pure hell to get on right that is the reason i got rid of my AT Pro then the battery cover and the arm cuff .. it is just a real bad set up.. And i was a Garrett user for years.. But i will never get another AT Pro … I would have to say from 600 to 1000 would go with a .. Fisher or Whites , or Technetic …. under 600 a Tesoro ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
Nov 16, 2014
Wausau, WI
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thank you for your guys feedback, seems like there are some mixed feelings about the AT Pro. I am kind of leaning towards the MXT. I was wondering how often companies come out with new models because I dont wanna get the MXT and then a few months later they come out with a waterproof version.

OP
OP
S
Nov 16, 2014
Wausau, WI
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I would probably be hunting in parks, yards and some woods for relics and coins. Id like to go "off road" more but the DNR basically makes all state land off limits for metal detecting.

OP
OP
S
Nov 16, 2014
Wausau, WI
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to talk about what type of hunting you plan on doing and what types of site you are looking at. There are too many options that are great in one place and not great in others.

Well I would probably be hunting in parks, yards and some woods for relics and coins. Id like to go "off road" more but the DNR basically makes all state land off limits for metal detecting.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a Minelab 505 x-Terra user and am completely happy with it.If you are going to do any water hunting I might go with the 705 and it also has the backlight feature which the 505 doesn't.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get in touch with Monte over at AHRPS. He's a very knowledgable old man grasshoppa!!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with some others here. I love my Fisher F5. But if I were to upgrade I would go after an E-trac.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully disagree with the ATPro's build quality. It's a quality machine. I've had mine in excessively harsh climates. It's never failed me or needed service.

I questioned the ATP also when I got mine new. A few nit picky issues came up but they were minor. I've had mine for 2-3 years now and it is rock solid. I've fallen more than once were it flew out of hand. I even fell hard enough once going down a hill, to snap a shaft. It still fires right up. Decent depth and feature packed for the price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread