Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure, I have used black electrical tap before and had no ill effects that I could tell anyways.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of guys smearing their coil bottoms with J.B.Weld before. I've never tried it myself though.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm I would think the plastidip should be fine then. Now to just wait 5 months or so for the ground to thaw. Lol

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first question is, why? Is the coil cover not enough to provide ample protection?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've viewed a few videos with folks coating coils with different liquids or sprays. But, in 5+yrs, I've not had to replace a single coil cover.
Peace

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My area has lots of rocks and I have a can laying around from some car projects I did, so I figured a little protection is always a good thing.

I am sure the coil protector is just fine but I don't own one and thought why buy one if the plastidip would do the same thing.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ps I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions.Being new to the hobby I have all kinds of ideas with no idea if or how well they would work.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use plasti-dip, it will have to be resprayd from time to time... The good thing about plasti-dip is it can be removed if the coil has to go in for repairs as it can be peeled off if needed.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies greaser and TH. I didn't realize "plasti dip" is an actual product. That can be peeled off too. Now I'm curious.
I wrongly assumed "plasti dip" was a general term to coat coils.
Peace

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would be curious to hear your results. I would do a test site and bury a coin to the maximum depth your detector hits then dip it and repeat to see if it does. I would say if it does for most digs it would be neglibible unless on the outer fringe of the test of the coil by itself at it's most deepest ability to detect.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to hear from someone who has done it thanks TH.

No problem Kid sorry I didn't elaborate on that.

It's going to be a while for in ground tests from me MT but I will try and get an air test done this week.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greaser,

Plasti-dip is too rubbery. I would advise using spray on truck bedliner. No effect on performance and hard as a rock.

Although, I have had several detectors over the years, and I have never worn through a coil cover. When you look at the price of a can of plasti-dip or bedliner, you are better off just using the factory coil cover, AND IF you wear through it, but another one. THEY ARE CHEAP!

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember if you can't take it off the coil it voids the warranty if coil needs to be sent in for trouble ...

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greaser,

Plasti-dip is too rubbery. I would advise using spray on truck bedliner. No effect on performance and hard as a rock.

Although, I have had several detectors over the years, and I have never worn through a coil cover. When you look at the price of a can of plasti-dip or bedliner, you are better off just using the factory coil cover, AND IF you wear through it, but another one. THEY ARE CHEAP!

Mike

I have the plasidip from other projects so it would be essentially free I think I will give it a try and if it doesn't pan out it is easy to pull it off.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Plasti-dip spray. Plasti-dip is good stuff.
It's tought stuff with 3 coats!
It can be removed easily and replaced and your assured that your coil is waterproof. ( I know all about the so called water proof coils from the factory that still end up with water in them. )
A cover doesn't make a coil waterproof.
It's cheaper than buying covers if your running with multiple coils and multiple detectors. Just my two cents

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rustynailsandscrews.
Please elaborate when stating that you "know all about the so called water proof coils from the factory that still end up with water in them".
I have/had many coils over the past few years. Not one has been penetrated by water, with or without coil cover.
Thanks
Peace ✌

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use Dupli-Color truck bed lining, not truck bed armor...as for coil covers, to me they are a pain in the a-- to remove and clean. imho

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Who said the coil covers are cheap? like up to 15$ a whack been detecting 45 yrs and SOME of my coils leaked over time some time back. as stated use Dupli-color lining seems to work best for me. shortribs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread