Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a subject brought up quite a bit, it involves cleaning your finds. I like to "restore" finds more than cleaning, it may not sound like a huge difference, but there is. ''Restoring'' a find is the process of removing any matter on the coin, but leaving the patina and trying to bring out the detail. Whereas cleaning is more harsh, most often the surface of the coin will be dramatically changed, sometimes resulting in ugly pitting. When cleaning finds it's important to realize that every find is different and will need different cleaning. For coins, I recommend being more careful in cleaning, and avoiding any abrasives, relics on the other hand can be cleaned a little harsher. Another problem happens when items are "overcleaned", overcleaning usually results with an ugly artificial look.

Copper Coins
When you are dealing with dug copper coins, I recommend avoid using lemon juice, vinegar, or any other acidic substance, using any acidic substance will sometimes destroy the surface of the coin leaving you with a pitted copper slug. Remember, Some coins are just too far gone, and no cleaning will help.

Here are a few processes I recommend using for cleaning copper coins: Hydrogen Peroxide, Olive oil/mineral oil, Q-Tip, Toothpick, a Simple Wet Paper towel compress, and WD-40

Hydrogen Peroxide: I recommend using this on coins that have a far amount of detail showing, I have had mixed results with toasted coppers, but it normal works fine on coppers with decent detail. Here's how to do it: First pour some Hydrogen Peroxide into a small microwave safe container, you only need enough to submerge the coin, but using a little bit more would help because some of it evaporates during boiling. Then put the Hydrogen Peroxide in the Microwave until it boils, remember DO NOT PUT METAL IN THE MICROWAVE. Take the Hydrogen Peroxide out of the microwave, and drop the coin in. You will notice bubbles forming, wait 30 seconds and take the coin out, dry it off and see what you think, if you feel it is necessary repeat the process. Hydrogen Peroxide will dry out the coin, so put the coin in Olive Oil for around a day to moisten it.

Olive Oil/Mineral Oil: This is a great but lengthy method of cleaning all copper coins. The oil will moisten the coin and bring out it's detail. First pour some of the oil in a container, enough to submerge the coin. Then put the coin in the oil and leave it there for anywhere from a week to a year. Remove the coin from the oil when you are done soaking it and remove what ever dirt may still be on it with a toothpick and paper towel. This method is great for bring out the detail on a corroded copper coin.

Q-Tip: This is the first thing you should do on a dug copper. Wet the end of a Q-Tip in hot water, and add some dish soap (dish soap is not necessary, but sometimes helps). Gently swab the surface of the coin with the Q-Tip, you will notice that dirt that you did not even know was there will be on the Q-Tip, rinse the coin and dry it.

Toothpick: You can either wet down the coin or leave the coin dry, I recommend wetting down the coin. Pick the grooves of the coin with the toothpick and rinse, repeat if needed.

Wet Paper Towel Compress (Best on freshly dug copper coins): Wet down a paper towel with warm water, fold up the paper towel around the coin and press it down. When you are done with the do the same thing with a dry paper towel. This method does a good job making dug coppers with a reasonable amount of detail look better.

WD-40: I have not done this method but I heard it works the same as olive oil and mineral oil. First soak the coin in WD-40, after a while remove the coin, rinse it and dry it.

Silver Coins:
These are the most simple coins to clean, other than gold coin. When you find a silver coin never rub it, the coarse dirt will leave tiny hairline scratches on the surface of the coin.
Most silver coins do not require any cleaning but some have a black tarnish and can be cleaned with any silver cleaner or baking soda and vinegar, when you find a silver coin, always rinse away the dirt with out brushing with your hand, for that will leave small hairline scratches.

Nickels and Clad Coins: Nickels almost always some out of the ground looking horrible. There are a couple methods of cleaning nickels. Also, You will never make a nickel look perfect again, they will always be pitted. Navel Jelly (as suggested by Tom in CA): Coat the nickel in Navel Jelly, the Navel Jelly will help take the brown red color off of the coin.

One method it soaking the Nickel in Worcester Sauce for a few hours, then remove it and rinse it with water. Another method is to use steel wool on it, just remember, that is your last resort for it will make the coin look unnatural and make it not worth any money, it's just good for getting a date or IDing a nickel. I have also heard of rubbing your finger on your nose/forehead area and getting grease on your hand, then rubbing the grease on the nickel.
----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------

Now we are moving on to relics, they are less easy to mess up, but still can be damaged.

Brass Buttons: I recommend using the Hydrogen Peroxide method on all brass buttons, it helps enhance any design, and make backmarks readable. Use the same Hydrogen Peroxide method here as you use on coins, as mentioned above.

Tombac Buttons: Cleaning tombac buttons is usually very easy, two methods are navel or aluminum jelly, or the rough side of a sponge. If you use aluminum or navel jelly coat the coin in the jelly for 20 seconds then rinse it and your button will look brand new, shiny and smooth. If you do not have aluminum jelly, you could use rough side of a sponge. Soak the sponge in warm soapy water, then rub the button on the rough side of the sponge until the button is smooth and shiny.

Gilded or Plated Items (Especially Gilded Buttons): Navel jelly or Aluminum Jelly works best on any plated or gilded item. If you find an item that may have gilding or plated on it coat some Navel Jelly or Aluminum Jelly on it, you will be happy with the results.
Lemon Juice: *Added 4/7/15* Heat some lemon juice in the microwave, when it is hot and almost boiling take it out. Dip a paper towel in the lemon juice until it is wet and wipe the relic with it (you will be amazed on how fast it works).
1902 Medal Cleaned with Lemon Juice Method. (Almost no gilt showed before cleaning)
20150331_204201 (1).jpg

Brass Relics: I recommend using a soapy brush of some sort (a tooth brush would work) on brass relics

Pewter Buttons/Relics: There is not much you can do on crusty pewter, a lot of times the pewter crumbles with cleaning.

Lead Relics or Bullets: They do not require much, if any cleaning. You can just rinse them or brush them with a soapy tooth brush

Iron Relics: *Added 4/07/15* Electrolysis works best for heavily corroded iron artifacts, such as nails, cannonballs, and other iron relics. It is the best method on those items and works wonders. If an item is thin sheet metal I don't recommend it because the electrolysis can leave small holes in the relic because the rust has compromised the metal and when the rust is gone there is no metal left under. I also don't recommend doing electrolysis on things other than iron, sometimes electrolysis works on some coins. If a coin is already pitted electrolysis is only going to make things was worse and leave you with a toasted
"cookie". Coins with very little to no be pitting can be made nice with electrolysis though, don't do anything with much collector value though because this method can be quite risky and makes copper coins look "unnatural"
Guide on Electrolysis
http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/electrolysis_rust_removal.shtml

Large Iron Relics: *Added 4/07/15* Brute Force (Hammertime:)) I have done this method before on larger iron relics, even on horse shoes. I use it to remove those chunks of corrosion from the surface. Anyways, Put the iron relic on a flat surface. Gently tap it with a hammer. You will see big chunks of corrosion fly off due vibration. When all the big chunks of corrosion are gone you can rinse it off if you would like. From there you could do electrolysis.
Don't do this method on anything small or thin, rusty iron is very brittle and can shatter with impact. Axe heads are the kind of thing I do that method on.

Olive Oil Soak for a day and Q-tip: Before and after on a 1690's Halfpenny
Before:
IMG_20141116_133852.jpg IMG_20141116_133905.jpg
After:
IMG_20141117_142213.jpg IMG_20141117_142226.jpg

Well, I'm done with this post, if you have any questions or ideas, post them or ask below.

Thanks for Looking,
Coinman123,

Attachments

• 1803.jpg
    1803.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good post. Thanx for typing all that out. I would add another method for nickels: Naval Jelly. For all other metals/coins that doesn't do anything, but for nickels, it works to remove the reddish/brown color.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful, detailed post. Sorry you now have carpal tunnel syndrome though. ;)
Seriously, I've had problems retaining patina on two large cents. I will save and try your methods.
Best post on overall cleaning/restoration I've yet to read. Well done!
Peace

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post. Thanx for typing all that out. I would add another method for nickels: Naval Jelly. For all other metals/coins that doesn't do anything, but for nickels, it works to remove the reddish/brown color.

Thanks, I have never tried that method, but it sounds like it may work good on nickels, navel jelly also does a good job at cleaning plated or gilded items too, I ended up adding it to the post recently. I forgot to mention some other methods too, such a never use a tumbler for any potentially good dug coin, more specific dug copper coins it will destroy them, only use a tumbler on clad.

Coinman123,

Last edited:

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent article! So with silver coins, can you over clean them and hurt the value? Or tarnx everyone you get?

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for this excellent tutorial. Very useful, I hope everyone gives it a read. HH

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent article! So with silver coins, can you over clean them and hurt the value? Or tarnx everyone you get?

If you overclean a silver coin it will get a very unnaturally shiny color with hairline scratches. Coins like that won't be nearly as valuable as one not overcleaned.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you overclean a silver coin it will get a very unnaturally shiny color with hairline scratches. Coins like that won't be nearly as valuable as one not overcleaned.

Keeping in mind that the vast majority of silver coins we dig have no collector value, and cleaning changes nothing.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Keeping in mind that the vast majority of silver coins we dig have no collector value, and cleaning changes nothing.

Agreed, I dip all my cheap worn tarnished 1950's and 1960's junk silver I find coin roll hunting in E-Zest, they are already only worth melt value and I think the cleaning makes them better to look at. If you have anything with any collectors value (Such as Reales, Capped Bust, Seated, and even barbers) try to be careful on cleaning them. Junk silver is not a big deal.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is E-Zest? I tried a search and all I found was a i-cloud services company.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post!.........I've Googled for cleaning guidelines, but was overwhelmed by so much conflicting information/opinions.............gotta print this for quick reference..........

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

tibortt

Greenie
Mar 11, 2015
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", X-Terra 705, 3 Khz, 7.5 Khz, 18.75 Khz, Digger.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you Coinman for the great post. I did not see electrolysis as a cleaning method in your post. Would you recommend it?

CoincDent

Greenie
Mar 30, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
OH my gosh! Thank you so much! I've begun the long overdo process of sorting and cataloging my coins. I grew up hearing that they should never be "cleaned" and the "restoration" process was something I've not ever heard about. I was always too afraid to attempt anything but a gentle wiping with a tissue...now I'm afraid that wasn't the right thing to do.
But this post definitely helps to clarify and provides some much needed education!
Thank you!!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Coinman for the great post. I did not see electrolysis as a cleaning method in your post. Would you recommend it?

Yes, For iron but not for any pitted coins of value. Electrolysis works wonders on iron though, I recommend it. I will add it to the post.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the current method I use on most coppers, I don't touch them in the field and when I get them home I put them in a cup of water, while they are underwater I rubbed them with a wet Q-Tip, I then just rubbed some olive oil on it.

Here's that method on a 1774 King George III Halfpenny I found today:
1774cleaned.gif

That "Spot" here it is in different lighting, that "spot" is not on the coin, it is just some olive oil that has not dried off the coin
IMG_20150419_132014.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread