A New Scam On The Rise

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful selling those vehicles! Here's what the crooks have recently figured out. They walk away with the vehicle and signed title, however, you have no proof that you ever sold the car if they do not run that title trough the BVM.

So, say six months later that vehicle is involved in a drive by, a hit and run, a drug deal, whatever, guess what? When that vin # is run through the BMV you're still the last known owner of that vehicle. So, depending on the circumstances, you could be left with a lot to prove. Just a heads up for you tnet folks to consider.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Big Scoop for the heads up, good to be aware....I'm not sure if this would help in your defense but in Maryland when you turn your tags in you have to disclose what was done with the vehicle, sign a sworn statement, then you call and cancel the insurance. Not sure if this would pull you free and clear of the issues if they do not register the vehicle. I guess for me since I drive my vehicles till they die I don't have to worry, with your warning I'll make sure I finish them off with a few gun shots to the dash.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I sell a vehicle to a person I do a bill of sale and have them produce a drivers license so I put it on the BOS and what they do with the title once Iget it notarized with them in the presence of a notary is their business. I even turn the tag in so they are not left with anything tying the vehicle to me. But thanks for the heads up.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here in Indiana you keep your own plate and use it on your next car, so they would be driving without license plates

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great Dave why?

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
I ask buyers beforehand to transfer title before the keys are handed over, they all agree and return in lightning speed for "thier" new ride ..Remember no job is done untill the paperwork is finished .

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always get a bill of sales and keep the plates to use on a different car.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As was explained to me today at the tax collector's office, "Most people fail to understand that if the new owner fails to register the title, also true on boats, etc., then two things can happen. First, the state can notify your insurance carrier that you failed to plate the vehicle, which can cause problems as your insurance company might then assume you still own the vehicle. And second, in the event the vehicle is left abandoned or becomes the subject of a crime or property damage, etc., then that vehicle will be traced back to you, in which case you have no legal proof with the state that you ever sold the vehicle, this also excluding any other form of reciept that is not an official legal document. This could lead to many issues, even license suspension, loss of insurance carrier, etc." In Florida, at least, it is required that you notify the state of the sale and receive receipt from them so that a record of the sale will be on their file. I just did this today.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't remember the entire way it's done here in Idaho, but each person keeps their plates and use them on their next vehicle. There is also some signing of the title and a slip that you register with the DMV that the vehicle has been sold. If you don't follow these rules, there are fines! My son-in-law sold a car and wasn't aware of the rule about keeping the tags. He got a hefty fine levied against him a few days later.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem here. I only buy and sell my vehicles at one dealership for the last 25 years, and I see no reason to stop anytime soon.

Jeff(or)

May 17, 2007
I ask buyers beforehand to transfer title before the keys are handed over, they all agree and return in lightning speed for "thier" new ride ..Remember no job is done untill the paperwork is finished .

Same here, no problem, plus the sales documents have both signatures.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
by the time I sell off a vehicle it is pretty much headed for the scrap yard.I keep the bill of sale tho.If I see it abandoned at the end of my street I scrap it myself...u know...gotta do the green thing for ol king bama

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
In Texas there is an online form the SELLER can fill out to let the state know the vehicle has been sold. This is in place specifically to protect the seller if the buyer fails to transfer the title.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here, when you,the seller, sign the title, there is a portion of it that is what is called a release of liability, it is perforated so you tear it off and fill it out immediately and send it to the dmv, relieving you of all liability from that vehicle, you can also go to the dmv website online and fill it out there.

soonerdg

Nov 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure you're supposed to have it notarized when you sign the title. That would be your proof!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread