Got Diagnosed With Lyme Disease Today....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like my hunting days are over for a little while. Got confirmation on what I had already suspected; that stinkin', rotten infection affectionately known as Lyme disease is living and growing inside of me. I'm in MD and this is one of the worst states for this filthy, evil scourge.

I had it before back in 2007 and walked around for 6 months misdiagnosed by at least 6 doctors. By the grace of God I went to a Baltimore hospital in one of the worst neighborhoods in town and the doctor who examined me knew what it was immediately. At that point I was at stage III, with a paralyzed face (looked like a stroke victim), terrible double vision from misaligned eyes, pain in every muscle and joint from head to toe and a chronic, never ending headache I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

After a 6 week round of doxycycline I was back to my old self. Although I've continued to test positive for this scourge ever since, I've been asymptomatic the entire time; until now.

Apparently my luck ran out. I was either reinfected at some point or just came out of remission due to getting a nasty virus and compromising my immune system. I'll never really know because I never even knew when or where I was bitten the first time around.

The "go to" medication, doxycycline has gone from 34.00 a month to over 400.00. They claim it has something to do with the supply being affected from hurricane Sandy. I don't believe it but that doesn't change anything. Amoxicillin works pretty well too but you have to take more of it. A 10 day supply is about 14.00.

"Natural" antibiotics or antimicrobials won't kill this stuff. Don't believe anyone who says it will. This stuff is virulent and you need very strong weapons to defeat it. The natural stuff can't hurt but don't take the chance. If it doesn't work you'll be far sicker by the time you realize it. Use the big guns along with the natural stuff.

I HATE taking antibiotics and haven't taken any since September for an infection on my lower leg and before that, 7 years ago for the last round of Lyme's. But I welcomed it today because I know it will make me better eventually. I always load up on probiotics as well. It makes the anti's much more tolerable.

The reason I'm posting about this is as a warning to ANYONE whose been bitten by a tick at any time this season. I'm not seeking sympathy or tips on treating the infection. I'm pretty well versed on Lyme, it's treatment protocols and it's co infections.

Keep in mind that it no longer matters if it's a deer tick, a dog tick or a run of the mill, common woods tick. They can ALL carry it now as well as other nasty bacteria that can wreck your life. It can take months or even years for symptoms to present after being bitten. It can hide inside you and strike at a weak moment when you least expect it.

If you suspect you've been bitten, GO GET CHECKED OUT ASAP. If you wait, your life could be changed for the worse for a very long time; perhaps permanently.

I spent every night of the summer out 'til dark in many places in the woods, in the weeds, the streams, the rivers, etc. I was likely bitten at some point and never noticed. Fortunately, I recognized the symptoms over the last two weeks or so; achy joints, muscles, low grade fever and chills, ,pins and needles in the extremities, hypersensitivity of the skin, brain fog, difficulty doing routine things, dropping things when I shouldn't, an awful headache that NOTHING touches, inability to sleep more than a few hours at a time and a general felling of non well being that WILL NOT go away until the bacteria is destroyed.

I swear, I even saw a guy in a gray winter jacket standing on the sidewalk as I drove by and when I blinked my eyes, he was GONE. This happened about two hours ago. This is some spooky stuff, believe me.

If you live on the east coast or the Northeast, be especially vigilant where ANY tics are concerned. It's hard to believe that such tiny critters can have such a life changing impact but they do. I cannot stress this enough. Don't think it "can't happen to you" because it most definitely can and will if you're not careful.

Again, if you've been bitten, go get tested and/or treated ASAP before it starts growing inside of you. It will be money VERY well spent and you'll never regret it. This stuff is SOOOOOO NASTY. I cannot stress this enough.

The first time, I TRULY believed I was dying. I had NO FEAR whatsoever and it would have been a welcome relief. That's how bad this can get.

As for me, I've been through this before and I've been through worse more than once. I'll get better sooner or later. I'm happy I was able to put a name to it so I know exactly what I need to do.

I plan on getting better soon and getting at least a few more hunts in before the ground freezes. Keeping a positive outlook is always good medicine.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW, empathy to you dude.
I seem to always feel them crawling on my skin before they dig in

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had Lymes too and I swear I was going to die! out of work for several months and then still had to wear braces on my wrists to keep me from hurting when I used the computer. Worse part was have to let my two daughter inlaws bathe and clothe me since I was almost paralyzed from neck down.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had no idea it was so bad

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never knew the symptoms..thanks for the post, and get well soon. I hunt in up in MD once a year or so, (in-laws), and now know to be careful.... good luck to you

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to read what happened to you and hope for a speedy recovery!

Thank you for the details of it all because it has me thinking! A few days ago I found Something
attached to my little toe that I had to rip off! After soaking my toe in vinegar it seem to clear up!

Though now, your post has me thinking that I'd better get it tested.
Best of Luck!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you get to feeling better.

I thought I had it a couple years ago but it turned out to be lymphoreticulosis from, apparantly, a thorn that poked my lip while out hunting and got infected and went into my lymph system under my jaw, which would have been cat scratch disease. But I'm one of the few lucky ones that it went septic and ran hard through my system. I went from 210 pounds to 155 pounds (I'm 6'3") and had no strength and was lethargic and pretty down. Back up to 180, which I'm trying to hold, but I still notice I don't have the 3/4 the strength and energy I did six years ago.

Maybe I'm just getting old?

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW, empathy to you dude.
I seem to always feel them crawling on my skin before they dig in

When you start getting the neurological symptoms, you sometimes still feel them crawling on you but you look and there's nothing there. It's insane.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you get to feeling better.

I thought I had it a couple years ago but it turned out to be lymphoreticulosis from, apparantly, a thorn that poked my lip while out hunting and got infected and went into my lymph system under my jaw, which would have been cat scratch disease. But I'm one of the few lucky ones that it went septic and ran hard through my system. I went from 210 pounds to 155 pounds (I'm 6'3") and had no strength and was lethargic and pretty down. Back up to 180, which I'm trying to hold, but I still notice I don't have the 3/4 the strength and energy I did six years ago.

Maybe I'm just getting old?

Dang dude. I'm glad you're better.

I've lost about 20 pounds. I thought it was from all my workouts, exercise and activity over the summer but now I'm thinkin' it may be 'cause I've been getting sick as well.

I was 173 about two months ago. This morning the doctor weighed me and I'm at 153. That's what I weighed in high school. At least my love handles are gone for now.
Guess I'll start drinking milk shakes and stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had Lymes too and I swear I was going to die! out of work for several months and then still had to wear braces on my wrists to keep me from hurting when I used the computer. Worse part was have to let my two daughter inlaws bathe and clothe me since I was almost paralyzed from neck down.

That's pretty tough dude.
I'm glad you were able to recover. Some people aren't so lucky. My sister's neighbor has had it for 11 years. He takes IV antibiotics at home and can't drive anymore.

My doctor told me I'm actually very healthy and in excellent shape. Hopefully, that's a good sign. The last time it took a few weeks but I did recover.

That feeling of dying is crazy though. I swear I had no fear at all which really surprised me. When you're in pain with no end in sight, death doesn't seem that horrible, at least, it didn't for me at that point. I just wanted relief from the pain.

They gave me morphine and a shot of Demerol and it never even touched that headache. It did knock me out for a while though. Being unconscious can be a great thing at times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to read what happened to you and hope for a speedy recovery!

Thank you for the details of it all because it has me thinking! A few days ago I found Something
attached to my little toe that I had to rip off! After soaking my toe in vinegar it seem to clear up!

Though now, your post has me thinking that I'd better get it tested.
Best of Luck!

The thing is, if you get bitten, the bite may heal but if just ONE bacteria enters your bloodstream, you're in trouble. They can either hide for a while or start multiplying immediately. This infection can be very opportunistic and come at you REALLY hard when you're dealing with something else. It almost always attacks the brain sooner or later and produces some really strange symptoms. Hallucinating is quite common if it gets bad. The "brain fog" is pretty much a standard symptom. It's hard to describe but I promise you that you don't wanna' find out. You just can't think cognitively at times. The best way I can describe it is that you lose your "sharpness" and mental "quickness" and clarity. It just kind of slows your mind down. It really sucks.

Also, the classic "bulls eye" rash doesn't always appear and if it does, it doesn't necessarily appear at the bite site.
The night I was diagnosed in the ER the first time I had no rash for 6 months but that day 13 of them popped up all over my body.
Someone was really watching out for me at that moment. I believe that's what sealed the quick diagnosis. What a blessing those nasty rashes turned out to be. The doc started treating me immediately.

I remember I thanked him when he told me what I had. He said, "It's not good; in fact, it's pretty bad". But I told him that at least now I could begin treatment and hopefully get better. I was truly thankful.

Then he asked my permission to let some young students have a look at me because he had never seen that many rashes at one time. I remember I was wearing nothing but a pair of boxers and I didn't give a damn at all. They were all girls too. I told him to bring em' on in and in they came to examine me. I felt like a lab rat but I guess I enjoyed the attention at the time.

Hopefully they learned something useful to help some other poor wretch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had no idea it was so bad

If left untreated for too long it can become a permanent affliction. It can truly ruin a life and the lives of everyone involved.
I'm very lucky I had the presence of mind to get checked out. For a while I thought I just had a common bug but it wasn't getting better; just worse by the day.

I'm so glad I went and found out. My regular doctor is out of town so I went to a clinic. It cast me 173.00 but it's money well spent. You cannot put any price on your health.

I have every intention of being out there swingin' my detector ASAP. I totally believe in mind over matter, not to mention the occasional strong medicine where it's needed.

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Garrett424, I wish you a speedy recovery. I've had neighbors and friends who've had it, and I certainly wish you the very best. Terrible disease. It robs you of your senses and your comfort. It robs you of your life, yet allows you to live in misery. Such a waste.

Keep your chin up, and stay on those meds! Take your vitamins and eat right. Vitamin C, baby! :headbang: Drink lots of water and exercise. Before you know it, your immune system will kick the crapola of of that infection!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Garrett424, I wish you a speedy recovery. I've had neighbors and friends who've had it, and I certainly wish you the very best. Terrible disease. It robs you of your senses and your comfort. It robs you of your life, yet allows you to live in misery. Such a waste.

Keep your chin up, and stay on those meds! Take your vitamins and eat right. Vitamin C, baby! :headbang: Drink lots of water and exercise. Before you know it, your immune system will kick the crapola of of that infection!

Thanks.
Fortunately, I've been taking vitamins, minerals and probiotics for decades. I also drink lots of water and gave up junk food entirely about three years ago.
It does make a huge difference.

I have every intention of getting better and getting at least a couple more hunts in. Nothing wrong with a positive goal right??

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
you still feel them crawling on you but you look and there's nothing there. It's insane.
Dam!! I know your pain, I will pray for you. Had it for 2 years, made me retire early but like you I had a very good doctor in Washington DC. Had me on Clarithromyc, Bactrim, and Doxycycline. I can pass along all the info she sent to me if you want, it may take me a day to find it but I still have it some where. I do know you have to keep moving or it will totally disrupt ever second of your life. (specially when your at your weakest point, the night) Stay strong and Never give up the fight to live. I almost did but thank God I am a better person now and enjoying retirement to it's fullest. Prays for you my friend!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dam!! I know your pain, I will pray for you. Had it for 2 years, made me retire early but like you I had a very good doctor in Washington DC. Had me on Clarithromyc, Bactrim, and Doxycycline. I can pass along all the info she sent to me if you want, it may take me a day to find it but I still have it some where. I do know you have to keep moving or it will totally disrupt ever second of your life. (specially when your at your weakest point, the night) Stay strong and Never give up the fight to live. I almost did but thank God I am a better person now and enjoying retirement to it's fullest. Prays for you my friend!

Funny you mention the night.
I doubled up my 1st dose of antibiotics yesterday and took 4 benadryl tabs. I slept about 7 hours straight for the first time in about three weeks. Before last night I was lucky to get 3 hours. The pain in my legs is what was keeping me up more than anything. Every night I've been waking up, soaking in a hot tub for about 20 minutes and taking 800 mg. of ibuprofen. I also found that if I drink coffee with the medicine it works better and faster. The downside is, it definitely doesn't help the sleeping problem.

I was also on Bactrim about a month ago and for a while I was convinced my symptoms were a reaction from that medication. They kept getting worse by the day and then I realized that something else was going on. I was being treated for what they called "cellulitis" on my lower right calf but now I'm thinking that's probably where I was bitten and it got infected due to my weakened state. Eventually the symptoms were unmistakable and I knew what I had to do.

The Bactrim also made my gums swell after a week or so despite taking probiotics along with it, so I stopped taking it. I've since learned that it's a very powerful and sometimes dangerous drug. They actually heavily restricted it's use in the UK due to too many complications and reactions.

Thanks for the well wishes. I WILL keep moving. That's important. I have no intention of allowing this thing to knock me down like it did the first time. I plan to do everything right given the fact that I know what I'm dealing with now. It's far better to know than not know.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you recover soon, your detector misses you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions