Going North for the Winter? What am I thinking?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What am I thinking, I do not know. While other folks are coming south for the winter I'm heading north. Is it because I miss Jack Frost? Hardly, he and I never did see eye to eye on things and quite frankly he's a big pain in the A$$. Every time I tried to warm up to him he gave me the cold shoulder, as I hear he does to most everyone.

Is it the turkey and pumpkin pie and all of the fixings, a house full of chattering people, most of whom I hardly know? I doubt it, though the turkey and fixings sounds pretty darn good, but I could easily have those things here in the company of temperatures more suitable to human existence. I like being able to feel my fingers and toes, I think we're suppose to be able to do that.

Icy and snowy slick roads. Do I miss this challenge? Do I miss applying the brakes and watching the stop signs slowly drift by? Could be as this is the one time I can break a law fully expecting to get away with it, slowly drive away even feeling good about it. Al Capone, Dillinger, and now me, nothing but a string of crimes in my wake, boots and earmuffs, scarf and hood, seven layers of insulated body armor.

Am I the sort of person who loves to feel of the wind in his face? Not really an issue when you can't even feel your face. Whiteouts are always great fun, now you see them - now you don't. It's sort of like a game of Hide & Seek played out among the ditches and trees within the vast landscapes. “Check it out! I found that bast@#d!” If you play the game well enough you might even win a new truck! Perhaps some fresh deer meat on the Christmas dinner table.

So why on earth am I going north for the winter? Well I'll tell you, it's like this. Dad and grandpa have been absent for far too long. That's why.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got a good memory,bigscoop................it is all that, and them some...........13 degrees today, but........not azz deep in snow, like some folks. Who the hell would live in Buffalo? Great family time ahead......enjoy! Stay warm!!!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoosier bound.....don't tell anyone I'm Hoosier....still don't know exactly what a Hoosier is?
"Hoosier"....sounds like a line of panty-hose. :laughing7:

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand a trip north and tolerating the cold and snow, to experience Thanksgiving and Christmas…….but not enough to pay for the flight and spend a day in travel…….something refreshing about 90 degree days and 70 nights…..
Bundle up!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Travel safe. At least it's easy to keep in your lane on the NY thruway this week.

16372318-mmmain.jpg

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand a trip north and tolerating the cold and snow, to experience Thanksgiving and Christmas…….but not enough to pay for the flight and spend a day in travel…….something refreshing about 90 degree days and 70 nights…..
Bundle up!

And naturally, I'm driving....:laughing7:.....but I so love the road trips!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you bring the long johns! The squirrels are getting very fluffy up here preparing for winter.
Don't forget to check along the plowed snow in parking lots, you'd be surprised what you can find.
Enjoy family and the holidays!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Be safe Brother and enjoy your time off and away. :thumbsup: