The Gynaecological Hammered Penny

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
‘If the membrane bag of fluid in which the baby had developed had not broken by the time the midwife arrived the wise woman would put her hand up … and break the membrane with a specially sharpened fingernail, or a thin coin. At that time, the edges of small coins were not milled and a used groat was rather sharp.’

So John, what's that got to do with metal detecting? Something you may have missed ...
The Gynaecological Hammered Penny | John Winter

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another informative thread John Winter.
It has surely allowed me to appreciate where coins have been.
Then, at ending of article I read, "walk as a revenant". I once thought myself to be a minor wordsmith, yet upon reading "revenant", I was forced to consult Webster's.
Knowledge is key.
Well done sir.
Peace

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One to be born and one after you die (or two for your eyes) for Charon to ferry you across the Styx. Great symmetry there.

OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another informative thread John Winter.
It has surely allowed me to appreciate where coins have been.
Then, at ending of article I read, "walk as a revenant". I once thought myself to be a minor wordsmith, yet upon reading "revenant", I was forced to consult Webster's.
Knowledge is key.
Well done sir.
Peace
I try to make my posts interesting, thought provoking and often educational. Since 2006 I have been writing every month in a magazine about my own finds and those of others. My blog is a kind of 'displacement activity' which I enjoy (perhaps more) and engage in it simply to escape the real work. I appreciate your comments. Like the donkey I often need a pat on the head and a lump of sugar to keep me going. Thanks for the feedback and support.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
‘If the membrane bag of fluid in which the baby had developed had not broken by the time the midwife arrived the wise woman would put her hand up … and break the membrane with a specially sharpened fingernail, or a thin coin.

Not too keen on infection control in those days. :p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread