Getting Permission from Farmers

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

John (not his real name) had a map that showed him where a long-ago 1850s schoolhouse had stood, and he knew the name of the farmer who owned the property.

John's dilemma: How to ask permission? What to do, what to say, what NOT to do or say?

In this show, I discuss the approach John used, and then I give my own thoughts on what John did right, and what he did that maybe wasn't so right, and what he could have done instead.

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Thread Dan Hughes.
I daily drive by 3 formerly farmed fields that date to the early 1800s. Each are cleared of growth in late Oct.
I simply don't know how to approach the land owner. I've only seen him twice in 10yrs. His home was built in 1830 by his family.
Best part is, the road passing these fields is now sparsely traveled, yet back "then", was the only thoroughfare.
They always keep to themselves and bother no one.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Peace

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is always better to get to know them before you ask to look for treasures on thier land,or let them get to know you.i look for adds where people want some kind of work done then do a good job and barter with them on the pay.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Take a schoolteacher with you. I taught high school and college part-time and the landowners in our Hill Country warmed right up. Some even showed me old ruins and helped dig. Routinely got lemonade, iced tea or ice cream...

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Cincinnati Kid,

It's tough when they stay cooped up. Go back to my podcasts (In the Corner with Dan Hughes) and scroll down to show #46. That might give you some help in getting permission to hunt this fellow's land.

Let me know if you give it a try!

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good info you have here.
What if I know nothing about the owners, and don't know how to contact them??
Should I just forget it?? I know of an old home that sits WAY in the back of someones' property. I didn't even know where I was... followed an old road near the home, and after about a mile... came out from behind someones current dwelling! I freaked out, as I didn't even know which way to go . I took a chance and walked down the driveway away from the dwelling and FINALLY got to the main public road. Boy I was sweating the chance they would meet me on their driveway! I ended up crawling out of the fence to be safe! PHEW!! I would love to go there and not be afraid of getting caught. There is so much to see. I need to get all info I can, as I just ordered my first detector today! Can't wait to use it.
In the mean time, I have 2 other old homes to detect near, and don't have to have permission.

Tony in Virginia

Dec 14, 2012
King and Queen County Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC / FISHER GOLDBUG
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Go right to their door ,introduce yourself, tell them what you want to do.I just did it last week and got a great area to hunt close to my home. Offer to show your finds ,but half the time they don't care. If their yard looks like it needs some help offer to help. works 90 percent of the time. Good luck.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a small farm (sheep, chicken & turkeys). I'll give you some tips at what upsets farmers.

Gates left open - this one is HUGE as we're responsible for what our livestock does, they're expensive, they're stupid, and they don't know cars hurt. It's also a pain to try and get them back into a pasture if you do find them.

Crop damage - holes don't matter so much as stepped on and knocked over crops.

Liability - I know if I give you permission and you step bad on a rock and break your leg or get tangled up in a conveyor I will end up liable.

So, when you come to ask I'm going to be a lot more favorable if you tell me ahead of time: " I'll make sure your gates are closed and even keep an eye out for loose fencing, stick to the rows and be careful near the crops, and even though I seem concentrated on the detector I'll pay attention to moving equipment and where I'm walking."

And it NEVER hurts to say: "I'll show you what I find and you can have all the personal items but I'd like to keep the coins."

And here's a tip. There are usually tons and tons of old iron around farms if they've been there very long. Unless something big is in the tillable parts it's probably best left buried. I'm more annoyed with a huge hole than I am happy to have you find a horse-drawn cultivator with 80% of the tines snapped off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread