Youve got to be kidding

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Whites 4900/D, Fisher TW-6, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If, by that, you mean "scientific test" (ie.: table-testing, double-blind studies, studies of their interior components, etc...), then the answer is simple: It's because it's in a class of "un-discovered science". Besides, if by "tests" you mean "results", then you're wrong: Because even by your own admission, many DO swear that they work. And on what basis? RESULTS (they found stuff). Therefore, by any way you look at it, your statement isn't correct :)

What?? And you think that's some sort of proof that they don't work ?? ON THE CONTRARY ! It simply means those persons didn't practice enough. If they practice for a week, well ... then they must need 2 weeks. If they've practiced for 2 weeks, well .... then they must need a year. If they've practiced a year, well .... then give it 2 years. And so forth into infinity. Heck, some md'rs have found gold and silver coins right? But the beginner picks up a detector, heads out his first day or week, and FAILS to find a gold or silver coin. That doesn't prove that detectors "don't work", does it ? Therefore why the double standards for LRL's ?

Tsk tsk, now repent of your Kill-joy post. Otherwise it's as Keppy says: "Some people just enjoy putting other things down ".
Gold Maven was quoting from the Wiki page that "many swear by them" (actually it states "Many treasure hunters swear by the devices"
Long-range locator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is the working link that Gold Maven posted.
If you read it, Yes they did blind tests as well as many others.

If you ask me it's a bunch of hokum.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Gold Maven was quoting from the Wiki page that "many swear by them" (actually it states "Many treasure hunters swear by the devices".....

Ok. Well .... then what's to argue with ? How can it be "hokum" then? What do you think those that "swear-by-them" are basing their opinions on? RESULTS, of course. So if they've had results, then how can you dispute it ? If it didn't work for you or someone else, well then obviously: You/they weren't using it right. Or you/they didn't have enough practice, etc... Or sun-spots, solar flares, or some such interference on the days you tried or tested it.

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Well .... then what's to argue with ? How can it be "hokum" then? What do you think those that "swear-by-them" are basing their opinions on? RESULTS, of course. So if they've had results, then how can you dispute it ? If it didn't work for you or someone else, well then obviously: You/they weren't using it right. Or you/they didn't have enough practice, etc... Or sun-spots, solar flares, or some such interference on the days you tried or tested it.

Dude, it being hokum is just my opinion. Reread the line where I stated "If you ask me". I also think that snake oils, divining rods and santa are hokum. but that is just my opinion.
Don't get all ruffled over my opinion. How bout you go buy one and tell us how great it is.

According to your logic, If I threw a rock then dug where it landed and dug up gold, then the rock worked in finding it. Who could dispute that?

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom Tom ,Tom , You see i do not care what any one buys , and i do not want any one to care what i buy , What you buy and think is great that is your business , What i buy and think is great is my business.. But you see like most i do not follow the crowd to try to be popular. Or the post's … I don't know you , You don't know me , Just from what we see in our post's here … If we met we could be good friends or we could hate each other …. For on the net no one really knows some one...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a you tube video of a guy using one. Looks like an electronic divining rod. LOL
Didn't watch the whole video, but wonder how many times he says "and everything" through it. LOL

$6.75 I'll take one :thumbsup: maybe even $25.00

Interesting it pointed to a Buffalo Nickel & Pocket knife :thumbsup:
after he dug them, he put them in his Pocket or pouch & the electroscope didn't
get confused & point to him during the Next Try, but it pointed to a harmonica piece & no matter what he dug, Once he Dug it.
It didn't go after it again .

Back in the early 80's there was a Guy who wrote a story for one of the Magazines.
He said he stopped at this Rest stop

elec.jpg

And got his Scope out & it lead him into the woods where he found a Jar of Silver dollars
or something just as amazing :laughing7:

Personally I don't see how they can work.
i knew an old guy who owned one & also insisted they work
But for some reason he kept buying different detectors & going back to a site he insisted
there was a Cache. But he never found it :(

By the way this Guy in this Vid, Picked up metal trash, Threw it forward
onto the ground and Kept detecting :(
I hate to see people Not pocket their trash :(

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Dude, it being hokum is just my opinion. Reread the line where I stated "If you ask me".......

Weycoyote, I'm sorry my wry humor wasn't apparent. I was playing the devil's advocate of what the proponent's will always say, in-light of the critiques of these LRL's. I'm totally in agreement with you that they're hokum. Was just pulling your leg there bro :)

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weycoyote, I'm sorry my wry humor wasn't apparent. I was playing the devil's advocate of what the proponent's will always say, in-light of the critiques of these LRL's. I'm totally in agreement with you that they're hokum. Was just pulling your leg there bro :)

It's all good.:icon_thumright:

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't they take that Radar Gun looking thing to Oak Island and find the lost treasure. That would make that gizmo the hottest selling thing on the market, if it worked.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to your logic, If I threw a rock then dug where it landed and dug up gold, then the rock worked in finding it. Who could dispute that?[/QUOTE]

Great analogy!
And everything found below the rock, it detected.
Who could argue?

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it brand new or 1970's I have old metal detecting magazines with gimicks like that.

This is what I was going to say. I've seen old Popular Mechanics when I was a kid with crap like this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread