LOOKING TO UPGRADE

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been using my ATPro for two years now with 90% of my hunting being relics, mainly 1812 battlefield artifacts in wooded areas and the balance general use coins etc.. I have had great success with the ATPro, but I think it is time to move up and even possibly a different brand machine. Don't get me wrong I love my ATPro :icon_thumright:, but I feel I might be missing some items and I am also looking to move up. I am thinking in the $1,500.00 range. Salt water beaches are not a concern. Thanks

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright! Now we're talkin'. $1500 and ready to purchase! There is only one. The Mighty Minelab ETrac!!!
I too have an ATPro, and love it. I still frequently use it when conditions apply. My other machines, sorry to say, are now basically untouched since entering the wonderful world of The ETrac. It's a silver killer and relic magnet.
The "learning curve" ain't to bad, yet it took me over 100hrs of infield use to grasp all it can do. I learn more each time I turn it on.
Others will obviously have varied opinions. That's what makes this site #1. Do yourself a "solid" and buy an ETrac.
Bart @BigBoysHobbies is a valued vendor here. Call him and he will help you with whatever choice you choose.
ETrac!
GL+HH
Peace

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or... You could save a ton of cash and get a lot more depth and sensitivity with a Tesoro Tejon.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I agree with the Minelab suggestions. If I had the money I would be using one as well. I used the AT Pro for a few seasons, loved how it hit on coins, hated the build quality. I Never really found anything all that deep, but in the town I used to live in when I owned it, most coins were 6-7 inches deep. I ended up getting rid of it and getting a Fisher CZ70 Pro, deepest machine I have ever used, but struggles in trash. I would get a minelab in a heartbeat if I could.

OP
OP
gldnbrew

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guy's, been looking at the ETrac videos on line and that is the way I am going to go. Going to give Bart a call today. Thanks all for the help. - Cheers

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check on the Nokta Fors CoRe too....

OP
OP
gldnbrew

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well after a couple calls to Bart and talking about the type of hunting I do, relics, he recommended two choices the Deus or the Fisher F75 LTD. I was very impressed with both, and it was a hard choice too make. After viewing a whole lot of videos I decided on the Fisher F75 XLT, I think it meets my needs the most, but I can also foresee a Deus in my future. I did look at all the machines that were recommended by all of you before calling Bart. Thanks for all the input.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! I have the F75s lil' bro, the F70. They are extremely sensitive. Don't initially be discouraged by excessive "chatter". Keep the sensitivity a bit low at first. As you get more comfortable w machine, crank it up!
Let us know how you like it.
GL
Peace

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chatter is one thing erratic chatter is another....

liftloop..

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just picked up a teroso tejon myself. I have the AT-pro for land and a Fisher CZ-21 for salt water But I want a deeper machine to use also. I went with tesoro tejon because of reading on how a metal detector works.. I mean really works. It's a little old school but I know about old school on a few other hobbies of mine. You need to become part of the metal detector you are going to use now. I have as much money as I want to spend on this hobby to buy the best equipment made for public use. As silly as this sounds any hobby I got into I always ended up breaking the hobby down to its origins. Fishing lead to fly fishing, My hotrod pickup lead to my 1930 model A roadster traditional Flathead 4 cyl hot rod. Choosing the Tejon to me is breaking this hobby down to its core. Being able to find an old relic or coin is exciting. That rush from seeing that flat button or special coin you have never found. The memory of finding something you really would like to find it stamped into you mind permanently. How many hobbies offer this kind of fun and excitement and also teaches you so much about history. It becomes sort of a meditation that will test your skill.

If your going to upgrade and go to the next level you need a machine that you will learn from. Do you like sound or visual aids to learn with ? whats the feature you want most ? whats going to make this new machine better then your machine your using now ? Don't mind my rambling.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Well after a couple calls to Bart and talking about the type of hunting I do, relics, he recommended two choices the Deus or the Fisher F75 LTD. I was very impressed with both, and it was a hard choice too make. After viewing a whole lot of videos I decided on the Fisher F75 XLT, I think it meets my needs the most, but I can also foresee a Deus in my future. I did look at all the machines that were recommended by all of you before calling Bart. Thanks for all the input.

My brother on here (novatreasure) bought a Fisher F75LTD and he primarily hunts relics. That machine is a beast! It's chatters quite a bit, but small trade off for such performance :icon_thumleft:. Good luck and HH!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I think an Etrac would be great! I so many great things about it. I'm thinking of upgrading soon and an Etrac or CTX.

Coinman123,

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tejon along with the Whites XLT both do the job very well for me. Est, $500 invested in both and have dug many $$$$$ worth of coins & relics with both.
Want an at pro for the waterproof deal.(Imo it;s always good to have a machine that will work in diff, situations.)

If I had access to better sites and above all the $ I would not mind trying a Minelab GPX Series Machine (Again Sites)
& Would love an f 75 0r a T2 or a Sand or tiger shark for that Water Hunting thing.
Ahhh one can only dream.

The Key word,s in my Signature is "Mostly the site" but the right Machine Works to.
Rant Over ....Over
Davers

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had thought about getting yet another machine until someone suggested a different coil for my AT pro so I checked the Nel coils out, watched video after video on YouTube on Nel coils until I was convinced it was a step in the right direction and I'm glad I did. I bought the hunter and it increased the sensitivity and depth by several inches and with the heavy shielding I was able to take the ATP on the beach and it worked so amazingly well I was calling fellow detectorists from the beach. I later bought the sharpshooter Nel coil for smaller areas. Others in my club have bought Nel coils and all have been overly joyed by the increase in the performance. Taking one of the hottest machines and then adding this coil turned it into a beast and has kept me from wasting money and time with another machine.

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my Tejon last week. I only have 5 hours on it and I am really liking it already. I know I have a lot to learn but its not that hard to learn if you know your AT Pro good enough. It's all about the sound of metal with Tejon. Grey ghost ultimate's pair up sweet. Cost you $700- $725 for the Tejon and the Ghost headphones and you in Treasure hunt mode! I found some stupid tiny acorn nut made from brass about 13 inches down. The ground was moist and I live in RI. This nut had the same mass of a 22 bullet. I was amazed this machine picked up. I also found a colonial flat button after 1.5 hours my first time out. Locations help big time but every place I have hunted has been pounded by others So I need depth. Thats what you need now if you upgrading from the pro. Cute LCDs and funny noises are cool but why spend the extra money for it.

I wonder if the fancy detectors are just there to get people into the hobby. More bells and whistles. I can bet your going to see one link to your Smart phone next.
Lets not make this look to exciting there will be nothing left for us Dirt Pirates!....oh I'm sorry... Historical Artifact Recovery Technicians ...H.A.R.T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions