Does anyone here detect in the snow... or has?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snow season is for ice fishing in a warm ice shanty but I got a call from a gal that lost her ring at a ski lodge. I thought I'd never find it but did when I checked the entrance where skiers take off their gloves.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet. ice fishing? whats that ... can you eat ice? never heard of the elusive "ice fish" heh

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
every time i went ice fishing there was a whole lot more drinking going on than fishing...

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very difficult hunting. If there's say 5" of snow, then that's 5" of depth you're not getting. Also, if there's frost to dig through it makes digging a good plug very hard and a digger
braking proposition.

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunt until the snow is too deep or the frost makes it difficult. Also my hunts aren't quit as long, fingers get too cold.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Woods are good, as Perses states. Much easier diggin'.
Screens will fade. Others have said its not the screen, but batteries getting to cold. A couple hand warmers under the housing protector does the trick.
Peace

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near Chicago and have detected when it was in the high 20's with 3" of snow on the ground.
As "Perses" mentioned, if there are leaves on the ground and snow on top, the ground is still relatively receptive.

The day I took this photo I found a Teens Buff nickel and a few Wheats.

DSCN1709.JPG

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool... dedicated.. I am sure if I lived up north I would attempt as well...(prolly over and over) sheesh don't have worry about people or competitors... never really considered the batts getting too cold etc... or machines but I can see it... the hand warmer idea is great.... If I might make a suggestion... I do not know if they sell em up there, and they are actually hard to find here... or at least the good ones...but a sprinkler hole shovel ... the one with the back heel to it with good lip... the skinny ones... love mine in very hard ground...Digging real hard ground is no stranger to me in the keys it is VERY hard to dig due to coral and rock. The plus to this is coins and other items do not go any deeper... NOT on beaches but on private inland properties.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I dig in the snow! Also detect the plowed snow piles, things get dropped and pushed into a pile for ya! Just be careful if the plow is still plowing we may not find you till spring!

Wear gloves, I ended up with blisters after battling the frozen tundra for my goodies!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes
keep an eye on the plow truck
iron sight or scope if he tries to plows the road one more time..

liftloop

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love to detect snow piles where the snow trucks dump the snow from the streets...found a few big bills and tons of coins.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't usually, but a neighbor lady came over and asked if I was the guy with a metal detector. I said yes. She asked if I would help her find her engagement ring she lost in the snow. I searched for over a hour but the snow was too deep, plus a plow had gone through the area where she lost it so will probably be spring before I can search again for her. I asked her how she lost it and she sheepishly replied that she was driving down the road when she was arguing with her boyfriend and threw her ring at him. She didn't realize that his window was rolled down.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighbor at one time brushed off the trunk of her car to get the grocery out and whipped her hands as to air dry them and her ring went flying as she frantically told me as we looked and then i seen a flash on the bumper sure as sh$t it froze it self to the bumper from her heat .all never for get it... was she lucky..

liftloop

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sledding hills are the best places to go in the winter.Lost rings(jewelry),money and cell phones can be found.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the true north , where I live - There is no metal detecting from now until approx. April. All ground is frozen, All lakes are frozen, Everything is frozen! I am part of the ring finders and that is the only time I get out, to find a lost ring, key, or alike.......... their not under the frozen stuff yet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter is here in Florida, only got to mid 70s today. Had to put on my 50/50 tee-shirt and leather sandals.... Too cold for flip flops....

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the true north , where I live - There is no metal detecting from now until approx. April. All ground is frozen, All lakes are frozen, Everything is frozen! I am part of the ring finders and that is the only time I get out, to find a lost ring, key, or alike.......... their not under the frozen stuff yet.

It is the same here. The ground stays frozen until April. You need a jack hammer to dig finds.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much in the same boat as those guys in Minnesota and Montana. Here at 10,000ft., if there's snow on the ground, the ground is frozen. And deep. About the end of May, first of June before you can dig much here in Summit County. If somebody loses somethin in the snow, I'll help em out, and it's usually pretty easy to hit what you're lookin for. In the spring, I'll go detect where the city dumps the snow they cleared off Main Street when it melts down. You can indeed find a lot of stuff that way. For now, the only detecting I've done right around here, is when the wife believed she lost an earring in this 6x8 shag type carpet in our living room. Went to work with the DFX. LOTS of confusing noise and screen activity, but there was a pattern to it. I found an 86 Lincoln cent and a bobby pin. Turned out the earring was back under the couch.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been running my heat for days... anything below 70 and I am chilly... below 60 I am cold... below 50... FREEZING.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread