Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are metal detectors for METAL only??
Can they detect other materials?? Yes, it is a stupid question, but maybe I misunderstood that in another post, someones said they found marbles with a detector.
It was probably that he found marbles same time... but NOT WITH a detector...?
I know, I have a lot to learn! LOL never used a metal detector, and my first one is coming by Fedex on Tuesday! YAY !!
Thanks in advance... and you can stop laughing now at my stupid question!
Have a great Thanksgiving, y'all!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal only; or at least conductive. Though if you look at the periodic chart LOTS of elements are metals. Carbon, Calcium and Sodium are metals. But some glass does have lead added for sparkle. Wouldn't be much, though.

I find marbles often incedetally near coins. Seems kids had them in their pockets regularly.

PS - keep asking. Ain't nobody here wasn't hopeless with a detector at some point in the past. They take a little learning.

Start by burying a few coins in clear ground for a test garden (be sure to map where they are!)

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
google marble detectors, along with wood magnets

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
All of my machines are rather good at finding worms. Seriously, every time that I get a hit and dig, I come up with at least one worm. Often the worms outnumber the legitimate targets.

I think that XP sold me a worm detector, but I'm not angry. It's a very good worm detector and if I ever start fishing again, it will serve me well.

O

Old Silver

Metal detectors will not detect marbles. I know because when I put mine up to my head it doesn't sound off.:tongue3:

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know. I am new to detecting and hunt Canyon Lake near you. One day I found what looks like a tiny sea urchin fossil...with my Garrett. A fellow tnetter thinks it's a bale seal. I talked to a ranger at the lake and learned there's an old mill at the bottom of the lake so possibly. Doesn't look like metal at all, and is round...I know my detector likes the round targets and is thrilled with bottle caps and lids. Have found nice silver near the dam. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL
It would be a plus for me if mine helps me find worms too!!
I do like to fish!!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marbles for some reason always tend to show up, especially when hunting residential front and back yards, so don't throw them out find a jar to put them. Good luck! Happy Thanksgiving!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. But as Rodbuster209 correctly states, they're often found in yards. When I started finding marbles, I naturally had to Google 'em. Aside from some being very valuable, a sort of "Marble Olympics" is held annually. It was at it's zenith in the 1950s. I found the rules n regs to be fascinating. Give marbles a Google.
Happy Thanksgiving
GL
Peace

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is great at finding worms too but also finds grubs, digging spiders and hornet nests!:BangHead:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, being as old as I am, I use to play marbles. There were various games from pockets to bumpers. There were different types of marbles like moonies and aggies. There were also metal marbles which were actually from old ball bearing assemblies.
Most marbles were a standard size, but there were larger ones, but they were harder to 'shoot'. Just some thoughts from the far distant past. Frank
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The musket ball I found I first thought was a marble it was round and a white clay color.

I have detected a clam at low tide in the beach sand I have no idea why, I waved it under the coil and it sounded off, I didn't want to cut it open to see why so that shall forever remain a mystery! :icon_scratch:

As for questions I was once asked by an onlooker at the beach if "that thing" would detect dollar bills, as in paper money, I told him it depended on how much metal was in the ink it was printed with. You could just see the wheels turning! :laughing7:

OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The musket ball I found I first thought was a marble it was round and a white clay color.

I have detected a clam at low tide in the beach sand I have no idea why, I waved it under the coil and it sounded off, I didn't want to cut it open to see why so that shall forever remain a mystery! :icon_scratch:

As for questions I was once asked by an onlooker at the beach if "that thing" would detect dollar bills, as in paper money, I told him it depended on how much metal was in the ink it was printed with. You could just see the wheels turning! :laughing7:

LOL!!

One time someone asked me about all my fossils. I was stunned when she asked what time of year do I find them..as if they come and go because of the weather. She already knows I'm outdoors all year long!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread