MDing in National Forests

Melissa Archibald

Nov 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I gather with these paragraphs metal detecting on federal land as long as your using it to look for just coins and stuff they cannot chase you off or arrest you as long as the coins are not of historical value so if your looking for fairly recent lost coins its my understand they can't touch you. As long as you don't damage the land or resources in anyway or alter it.

Laws and Regulations
Protecting Cultural Resources

The restrictions on the use of metal detectors on public lands are designed to protect historical and archaeological remains. The Code of Federal Regulations, (36 CFR 261.9) states, The following are prohibited: (g) Digging in, excavating, disturbing, injuring, destroying, or in any way damaging any prehistoric, historic, or archaeological resources, structure, site, artifact, or property. (h) Removing any prehistoric, historic, or archaeological resources, structure, site, artifact, property. The Archaeological Resources Protection Act (ARPA, 16 U.S.C. 470ee) also prohibits these activities, stating, No person may excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface or attempt to excavate, remove, damage or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resources located on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit…. ARPA exempts the collection of coins for personal use if the coins are not in an archaeological context. In some cases, coins may be part of an historic period archaeological site, in which case they would be considered archaeological resources and are protected under federal law. These laws apply to all National Forest lands and do not vary from state to state.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just wave my name around and you will be ok.

kyrock

Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is that you can not metal detect in Mammoth Cave National Park here in Kentucky. I have been told this by Park Rangers.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well not national parks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread