pinpointers

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they do the same job. With that logic all of us would be detecting with the cheapest unit out there. It is just that the ones that cost more function better in most cases. There are exceptions with some and other issues with one that was recently released.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a $16 Harbor Freight will pick up a coin at 1" at best.. a $135 Whites TRX will pick up a coin from 3-4". I have had both and will never hunt without the TRX

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated, they all work. Yet others function much better and go far deeper.
A few new ones have been released recently, but I only use Garrett ProPointers.
GL in your choice.
Peace ✌

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
What the difference between the high dollars ones and the cheap ones, don't they do the same job?

What is your baseline for a "cheap one?"

Having asked that, the bottom-basement priced pointer(harbor freight) are good for a minimum for detecting but they a junk for durability and out of the box performance. Really, they are cheap for a good reason, they break! I thought about buying one when I began. I was gonna buy 2 to get ready for the first one breaking. At $16, I thought it smart at the time. Luckily, I bought the Garretts proPointer, even at the large price difference in cost.

In conclusion,,,yes thay all do the same things generally...for a while.

BTW, you should highly value the warranties and CS reports from these websites. The best PPrs have a 2 year warranty.. If you are simply buying into the detecting hobby at ground zero, I imagine pointers at or above $100 seems like nonsense. My opinion changed quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

Nov 8, 2014
Greeneville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your baseline for a "cheap one?"

Having asked that, the bottom-basement priced pointer(harbor freight) are good for a minimum for detecting but they a junk for durability and out of the box performance. Really, they are cheap for a good reason, they break! I thought about buying one when I began. I was gonna buy 2 to get ready for the first one breaking. At $16, I thought it smart at the time. Luckily, I bought the Garretts proPointer, even at the large price difference in cost.

In conclusion,,,yes thay all do the same things generally...for a while.

BTW, you should highly value the warranties and CS reports from these websites. The best PPrs have a 2 year warranty.. If you are simply buying into the detecting hobby at ground zero, I imagine pointers at or above $100 seems like nonsense. My opinion changed quickly.

I've seen a few in the $30 and $50 range and didn't even know about the Harbor freight ones. I would be looking around $50 since I already have an expensive hobby my wife would kill me if I start another.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joekidwell, your wife will be even more upset when you purchase a $50 pinpointer, only to realize it is terrible and you NEED to buy a quality pinpointer. ;)
Do yourself a favor and buy a quality pinpointer.
Peace ✌

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not waste my time on a cheap one, I bought a $45 pin pointer and it's lucky to detect a quarter at 1/2 inch. Useless to me. I now have a Garret Pro pointer, it does great. I see them on craigslist for $85. Well worth the money.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I consider my detector, pinpointer, and digger, tools of the trade. Having been a contractor for the last 40 yrs, tools are important to me. I want good tools and that usually costs money. Buy the best you can afford.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When i first started this hobby i bought everything cheap i had a harbor freight 9 function md a harbor freight pinpointer when i found out that i love this hobby and got serious i got a gpp and now with a few other md's i have an at pro its a difference of night and day.When you spend your money you get what you pay for.Spend the extra money and get something good from the start.I have my gpp and a deteknix x-pointer they both work very well for me.The x-pointer cost 89 bucks and will be heads above the 16 dollar hf model.I can't say it enough spending the extra money is well worth it.Good luck with whatever choice you make..HH

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

Nov 8, 2014
Greeneville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joekidwell, your wife will be even more upset when you purchase a $50 pinpointer, only to realize it is terrible and you NEED to buy a quality pinpointer. ;)
Do yourself a favor and buy a quality pinpointer.
Peace ✌

Good point : )

soonerdg

Nov 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using the $16 harbor freight pinpointer and it works ok. The problem is it doesn't get quite the range of the more expensive pinpointers. Although there is a trick online to get a little mor rage. It get about half of the range of the garret propointer. The BIG issue with the HF pinpointer is durability. It's not a sturdy item, i've gone through three of them in a couple of years and I don't really hunt all that hard (maybe once a month) The switch is notorious for going bad. There are also online videos to modify the switch but I've been wanting a propointer so I put that on my Christmas list.

If you have the means then certainly get a good pinpointer. Especially if you plan on hunting hard and using it hard. It will take a beating. If money is really that tight then you can get by with the HF model if you don't abuse it. But you will absolutely need to modify the switch at some point. Beware of the cheap Garret Propointers on Ebay. Some of them are knock offs and not the real thing. I watched a video from garrett about this and how to tell the difference. .

Good luck and happy hunting.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have three. The oldest is a SXL Merlin Pro and, like many good things, was discontinued as far as I can tell. This will pick up a dime at 1-1/2", which is just about ideal in my opinion. Has an LED light and vibration when it hits a target as well as a beep. When you depress the monetary-on button (has to be held so you don't waste batteries) it also has a LED "headlight" to see into the hole. Not waterproof but works great. They do show up occasionally in classifieds.

merlin3.jpg

I also got a free F-Point with my Fisher. I kind of like it but it is generally poo-pooed by others. It's small, waterproof and rides easy in a pliers sheath on my belt finds pouch. It's a but less sensitive than the Merlin but has a much smaller tip - so if you get a hit you're there. I find that's better than one that reads at 3" and you're not sure just where the coin is.

But the best is my Sunray. Pricey and it connects to the detector. Adds about eight ounces. Uses the detector's audio and display (it's a 1" coil on a wand), is waterproof to the length of the cable and doesn't need a separate battery. They're not made for all detectors because of licensing, partially, and they are a quality tool that I feel are worth the price. If you have headphones no one nearby hears the hit - and that can keep kids off you at the park. ;-)

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said soonerdg, the counterfeit Garrett PinPointers are surely out there. Visually, it's hard to discern real from fake. I/we have found the on/off button to be the telltale. No beep on the one my friend bought.
Buy the time anyone realizes they have a fake, it's to late. Can't get loot �� returned from an unscrupulous dealer.
Peace ✌

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You pretty much get what you pay for they all work for awhile some work better for longer periods of time.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P., has Sunray stopped making probes for ETracs? I looked high n low earlier this year and couldn't locate one.
Thanks
Peace ✌

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For your price range OP I would order a Fisher pin pointer. They work good. The only bad thing about them is you might need to tape the end cap on after a while. If you do decide to save and get a better one, STAY AWAY from the Garrett and go with Whites, Minelab, Makro, etc. Save yourself the trouble.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can solve the end-cap issue for you. I put the 9V in the cap with a bit of thin packing foam in the base to just hold it snug. It causes the tangs to catch better in the grip.

HPIM0091.JPG HPIM0092.JPG

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a whites bullseye since 1990, I had changed the switch 3 times and just didn't want to do it again, so early in the year I got a Garrett's pro pointer, whites TRX wasn't out yet. It works, I'm happy! As long as you know the strengths and weaknesses of your equipment you can manage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions