Help finding small gold necklaces? All luck or any skill?

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm looking for some tips on finding necklaces and small bracelets. I've found a few figaro style bracelets 2 were ID so they had a small section to ID the other was just large enough to hear. I've found quite a few fakes as the copper/brass hits harder than gold. Is my only chance digging every noise my machine makes? Is it worth the digging?

Xterra 705 gold all coils
MXT

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You pretty much hit it on the head~ dig everything. Problem with fine gold chains is that they don't want to be found because the concentration of the metal is so strung out *unless its wadded in a ball* that it'll hit like small foil. Unlike a small bit of foil which will drop of to a sharply defined spot in pinpoint the target should show as fairly large or long in pinpoint. Just my experience though I've found few small chains and not with an Xterra.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried air testing an 18" 6.5gram necklace with my 6" 18.75Kh coil on the Xterra-nothing and the MXT read foil but no sound or threshold change. It threw me off. I found a surface necklace in the dark and my eliptiacal hit on it so I looked down and saw it but my machine hit it first. The eliptiacal is at the factory so more testing... The 15" coiltech hits them. I picked up a compadre to empty to tot lots maybe that will help... Who knows. May not be worth the time...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It takes a good PI to pick up the fine gold chains. I use an old Surfmaster PI from Whites that I purchased 14 years ago. Here's an example find found in the sand a couple of inches down. Frank
gold cross chain.jpg

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
important to consider that there are relatively few small gold necklaces to find out there.A large percentage likely end up inside the clothing only to turn up in laundry.(happened to my daughter...twice)I have only found 2 and it was the pendant that prolly created the hit.even my at pro barely sees them when tested on surface..a bb hits harder

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When in doubt, dig it out.
Small gold chains are a tuff recovery. Seems to be the case with all VDI machines?
I've not had much experience w PI machines, but as Frankn mentioned, I hear they are much better on small gold.
Peace ✌

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
backstrap80: Welcome to the harsh cruel realities of necklaces. Tinsel thin/fine necklaces and bracelets are a task for anything. You almost have to have a pulse machine (nugget or beach) to find them. You also have a "fighting chance" to get some of them, if you are using some of the 2-filter Tesoro type units. But the normal power-house deep seeker coin/relic/jewelry machines, will simply not hear them. Unless they have bigger links.

I have to agree with bigfoot1 though: Unless you are on the beach (or possibly sandboxes), I would simply not bother. They're demographics are hardly worth knocking yourself silly for. I mean, for turf and land type sites. Because any machine that can find tinsel-thin chains like that, is going to "ring the bells of notre dame" on every dog-gone flitty piece of cr*p down there too. Ie.: teensy foil, bird-shot, flecks, etc.... Possible to stip-mine that out in sandboxes I suppose, or the beach, but there's no way in heck I'm going to be chasing flutters like that in the average turfed park, lawn, relicky site, etc..... You'd go psycho.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have gave myself some sorta super luck. 2 days after this post, I went to the city park everyone goes to with a detector atleast once (you all know that park lol) the tot lot was super clean, I had the 6" coil on, first find was a penny, second was a bail for a pendant or necklace VDI lower than a BB, its gold plated, I walk around a little more and bam! 5gram 14k 18" necklace. I tried at another lot just for fun and after finding my 5th piece of confetti I decided I can buy small chains with the amount of coins I can find instead of picking scraps of trash lol. BUT, I did it! I only wanted 1, got it, now I need a 3-5gram Gold nugget<------- Please be good luck again! Thanks for yout help guys.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on ya :) Keep swinging :thumbsup: