sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A landscaping friend called yesterday needing help. One of his customers, an older lady who is a dear friend of my family and who just recently lost her husband to a very fast cancer, was working in the yard and lost this earring. It has a half carat diamond and was a gift from her late husband. I hightailed it over to help look for it. I asked if it was silver or gold, and he replied "Silver." Good, I thought. Should be a snap. After an hour, nothing.

Well, I went over to where she works and got the other one, took it outside in the grass that I had made sure was clear of signals. I wanted to see just what kind of hit I could expect. For what it's worth, I'm using a Eurotek Pro and a Deteknix X-Pointer. With the two pieces together, I got a weak 45-49. Stud only, a pitiful little 15, something I'd walk right over. I was running sens at 10, disc at 0, and vol at 11. Even when I set the vol back to 10, I still got a dismal response. I'm glad I didn't push it down into the grass for realism or I may never have found it! That'd be a hell of a note, wouldn't it?

An older fellow who is also a friend of the family (small town, if you haven't already figured that) came outside the store to see what I was up to. I pinpointed the pieces, and nothing, even jam up against them (I get a slow beep with yellow). He held out his hand with his wedding band (lost his wife not long ago to cancer as well) and I held the X-Pointer against it and nothing. White gold? Yep. I went back inside and asked her the same, and she also replied, "Yes, 14 carat." Talk about my hopes plummeting. I had to get back to work, but I'll go back and pay more attention to the low signals, but you get hundreds of hits like that. The flap will slip off, but not easily since the stud is threaded, so hopefully they are still together.

My buddy went back around lunch when the sun is highest (not saying much this time of year) to see if he could eyeball it. No luck. I went back last night about 8 or so with a head light and walked it for an hour. I used the bright white, the low red, and the blue blood tracking lights with zero luck. The dew had already fallen, so I got a lot of false alarms. Of course, if she lost it while planting flowers, then eyeballing it is out of the question.

We're thinking about just screening what she planted through a half inch screen onto a tarp, then screening that with an eighth inch screen. If y'all have any ideas, let me know. Thanks.

earring.JPG
earring1.JPG
earring2.JPG

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the TRX I would try that.. it is VERY sensitive to small items.. no VID (I wish they put that on the cap) but if the area is small you may have some luck.. No I have not tried it on gold but it fined tiny pieces of rusty nail with NO problem.. i mean smaller than that ear ring.. I constantly am chasing tiny stuff when I recheck the hole after recovering the primary target.
Good luck!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A PI would pick it up easily and you are only looking for a shallow target so you could just probe the signals and check the shallow ones only.
Frank five star.png

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn knows his stuff. I'd try a PI unit.
A recent post about how hard it is to to find small gold chains, came to the same conclusion. Must use PI.
GL
Peace ✌

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 1/3 of diamonds fluoresce so you could try a blacklight, that's if it is still on top.Just a thought it might work.Should fluoresce blue.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you saying your pin pointer wont pick up a white gold band?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No he is having trouble because it is just the post of the earring and the stone.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i am recovery member for theringfinders.While on a similar call at a ski area I had to search under an outside deck area.I was looking for a dainty 14k bracelet,very thin chain type big time sentimental value.The deck is actually outside a bar at the top of the ridgeline and plenty of snow had blown under.Unable to stand up I resorted to just using my pro pointer and shoveling targets onto an 1/8 inch screen box.They helped and we got it.
The point is that I could eliminate the vast quantity of trash in the lower ice zone and only focus on shallow items.I say it was similar only in as much as my machine was useless..pro pointer was the hero.3 hrs in tough conditions but worth it.Big smiles.

I hope and pray you can give her a valuable memory,a big smile, and find it.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Right. Not a peep. I get a slow beep off mine which is yellow gold.

If you have the TRX I would try that.. it is VERY sensitive to small items.. no VID (I wish they put that on the cap) but if the area is small you may have some luck.. No I have not tried it on gold but it fined tiny pieces of rusty nail with NO problem.. i mean smaller than that ear ring.. I constantly am chasing tiny stuff when I recheck the hole after recovering the primary target.
Good luck!

My X-Pointer raises Cain over the tiniest bits of iron, lead, silver and copper. But slow beep on yellow gold. Nothing on white gold.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, now I have to try my pin pointer on tiny white gold and see if it picks it up.

I think Frank's idea is best, PI and look for shallow targets.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it that by PI, y'all mean a pulse induction coil? I'd love to find it for her, but I can't afford to go and buy new equipment unless one is reasonable and would be compatible with my ETpro.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe try a higher frequency machine if you know someone that has one. My Teknetics G2 picks up earnings and the backs just fine to 8 inches in all metal mode in sand in Florida soil at 90 gain. So a surface find will not be a problem for any higher frequency machine over 14 Khz.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right. Not a peep. I get a slow beep off mine which is yellow gold.

My X-Pointer raises Cain over the tiniest bits of iron, lead, silver and copper. But slow beep on yellow gold. Nothing on white gold.
My Pro Pointer picks up white gold just as good as yellow gold...I just tested it.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, everybody.