Terry228

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt schools parks old churches mostly looking for coins and jewelery some trashy sites and some water hunting

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Terry228.
Since you mentioned water, The 3030 would be the one.
I don't have either machine, but have done extensive research on both. I do have an ETrac. Love it! This said and me being me, I like to try various machines annually. Since I don't hunt water and own an ETrac, this forthcoming spring I may try a Deus.
Whatever choice you make, call �� Bart@BigBoysHobbies. He will guide you and provide a good deal.
GL
Peace ✌

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perses, just noticed you indeed have an XP Deus.
Can you afford the time to describe your thoughts on what may be my next detector?
Thanks
Peace ✌

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Perses, you have outdone yourself!
Upon reading "french temptress", my mind went elsewhere. ;)
The fully wireless design is what compels my intrigue, combined with low weight. Not to mention, 4 individual frequencies.
I too am a fan of Bart.
Thanks again
Peace ✌

OP
OP
T

Terry228

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info,Im still trying to decide. Target separation is a really big plus for the dues which I think is very very important.Found a 1872 quarter with a few nails in the same hole with the atpro.Low and slow is what that took could have been real easy to miss.Not interested in our modern clad but it is nice to find a loonie or toonie once in a while. May give Bart a call but I think the exchange, duty and shipping may kill the deal.The ctx with its good target id is a plus but then again none of the silver i have found so far correctly id on the atpro

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These two machines are really almost polar opposites. The short answer:

CTX for old coin/silver hunting, especially in areas that contain modern, non-ferrous trash. Strengths are ID accuracy, particularly on the deep ones. Can't compete with the Deus for target separation and iron handling abilities.

Deus for pulling non-ferrous targets from older, iron infested sites. Strengths are target separation and the ability to handle iron well. Takes a back seat to the CTX for ID accuracy, especially on the deep stuff.

Deus also for gold jewelry hunting unless you're on a salt beach in which case the CTX gets the nod.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CTX for old coin/silver hunting, especially in areas that contain modern, non-ferrous trash. Strengths are ID accuracy, particularly on the deep ones. Can't compete with the Deus for target separation and iron handling abilities.

Deus for pulling non-ferrous targets from older, iron infested sites. Strengths are target separation and the ability to handle iron well. Takes a back seat to the CTX for ID accuracy, especially on the deep stuff.

Deus also for gold jewelry hunting unless you're on a salt beach in which case the CTX gets the nod.

Well put.

I have no experience on the CTX, but I'm pretty sure that XP have cornered the 'Recovery Rate' now called reactivity.(Target seperation)

You have to get what best suits your needs. For me the XP have concentrated on the right things - weight being the most important to me (specially due to a previous back problem & 400-500 hours hunting a year). The CTX would be too heavy for me, so its an immediate 'out'.

The Deus is crazy light & they have recently even gone lighter with the coil!

I've only had 5 hunts with it, but I can tell that once I understand more, its going to be the only detector I need.

Also, I never use VDI's so the IDs on ANY machine are irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Terry228

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, the only thing i dont like so far about the ctx is the weight

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What he said^^^^^^^^^.

OP
OP
T

Terry228

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts on the best all around coil size 9 or 11 for the dues?Since the dues is more of a tone machine,would a person with hearing loss have any trouble?I dont seem to have any problems with the atpro.Thanks for all of your opinions.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts on the best all around coil size 9 or 11 for the dues?Since the dues is more of a tone machine,would a person with hearing loss have any trouble?I dont seem to have any problems with the atpro.Thanks for all of your opinions.

Not sure but you can chose from 1 to 5 different tones, & you can customise those tones (I think I read), you can turn up the volume as well, but I'm not medical so not sure on your effects.

9inch for very trashy areas, 11inch once you have cleared the surface & want to get deeper. My tactics are to have both, swing mostly with the light 9 inch, when your short of targets go deeper with the 11". I'm mostly basing this on the XP GMP, because I've yet to charge the 11" & try it, that will happen soon when I return to an area that the 9 has cleared.

OP
OP
T

Terry228

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you adjust the volume of each side separately?Coils are expensive,if you could only have one what would it be 9 or 11 for the dues

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience there are targets the CTX will see that the Deus misses, and vice versa. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. :thumbsup:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, also if you can only have one coil most get the 11". With the adjustable recovery speed you can kind of make the bigger coil work like a smaller one... again sort of.

With the WS5s you cannot control the volume side to side....

And if I could make a suggestion.... consider the WS4s, and add a set of either Grey Ghosts or Vancephones for the WS4 module. This will give you some flexibility and options as to how you can use them, at about the same cost. The Vancephones have been getting rave reviews for their sound. I will know in a day or so as I have a set coming in to try. We are going to add them to our lineup very soon! :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you adjust the volume of each side separately?Coils are expensive,if you could only have one what would it be 9 or 11 for the dues

11", gives depth & when you work everything think out, more functionality. Down side as mentioned, slightly heavier, but as its so light anyway, not a big deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions