Why do people post about sites they intend to metal detect?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I haven't said anything to him that he hasn't said to me. Do your job and be fair.
Not open for discussion. Now you have issue with moderation handle it in pm not on forum and dont tell me to do my job...

No more about it on this thread!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Took me a bit to rid this thread. Some thoughts.

I'll play devil's advocate for a second and agree with boatload...the fact that permission was secured before just roaming some property you don't own is irrelevant. The fact you talked to countless oldtimers about an area is irrelevant. The fact that you spent countless hours at the library researching old maps, books and followed up with further hours spent researching google maps and other images for modern day views of a potential site is also irrelevant. Whether you did all of that beforehand or simply drove by in your car and saw something that looked appealing got out and asked for permission or didn't see anyone around so you just whipped out the detector and went for it is all irrelevant. And mentioning that you did all of that beforehand without having posted any find is glory seeking and to make you look like a researching bad arse!

What is relevant is what you found right...right? Good for you if you put in the time beforehand but no one really needs to read about that part.

I get it, I do. The assumption with most hunting sites is that some time was put into securing permission or access or research so why bother saying that at the outset, especially if its a site you have not even hunted yet? Maybe with your farm example, the crops were still up and while you have permission it is not until they are harvested so you are tantalizing us fellow TNETers with promises of finds that have not even been found, kinda dumb right?

/end devils advocate mode

Rather than assume most other folks on this site do this, I'll simply speak for myself. I love hunting (deer, turkey and such) and fishing too and for me that 1% of the hunt where you actually take out your target is important yes but whether you do or do not the 99% part of the hunt that did not involve taking out said target was just as much a part of the whole experience. Getting permission to hunt, walking the property to find good spots for stands or climbers, getting a lay of the land, getting up in the early morning, getting your gear on, getting to the stand, taking in nature before the hunt even begins. To me, thats just as important as the kill.
With treasure hunting, for most folks all that comes before digging out the target is just as important. Including the announcement of and anticipation for a new site.

While I too am very interested in what members actually found after all their hard work, I also enjoy hearing what it took to get there or other interesting things that happened during the hunt that had nothing to do with what came out of the hole.

Anticipation and preparation part of many; not all hunts. Some folks just want to say something where others might understand the zany aspects of finding sites to hunt(?)
Let alone hunting; or the quarry.
Should success seemed diminished due to advertising the hunters/huntresses's intentions; then either declaring fishing for the planned activity or just checking mousetraps may be in order.:laughing7:
I get excited sometimes about an upcoming T.H.ing related event. Bouncing a plan off others may garner encouragement or advice but not in my eyes any bragging.
There is one particular site I hope to hit one day....Most people don't get that. Some of those that do wonder why I would announce it. It's all good.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like Christmas is to little kids, all the expectations of lollipops and gold coins dancing in our dreams about a good site we are about to hunt.
Yep, sometimes its more fun getting ready for something and anticipating it than it is actually doing it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the first time I have actually watched someone get banned...that was awesome.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well here's a little story for you. Not far from where I live there was a Confederate training camp around 1863 to 1864. I tried to get permission to hunt there twice over twenty years ago. The lady that owned the property was very hateful about anyone hunting it but she was quite old at the time. I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but I knew eventually land ownership would change hands. I stopped by that residence yesterday morning and the property went to her son. Got in contact with him, and got permission to hunt. Was not the best weather yesterday but detected for a while. Didn't find any belt buckles or Minnie balls, but I did find a few items, and best of all I finally got permission to detect there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread