Ever entered a "Competition Hunt"?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never attended one on purpose before, though one time I went detecting at a park nobody bothers detecting anymore. I basically went there to relax and maybe find a rare find like a memorial penny, ended up digging a bunch of silver Rosie's and other things. Wasn't until a few weeks later I learned that a local club was having a seeded hunt the day after I was there....oops sorry! I didn't know.

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if i could get the $5000.00 i could put up with others for a short time.. But i never seen prizes like that on the ones i saw and the one i hunted.. From what i read and heard there are ones that cheat out there and put junk down for others to dig or check to slow them down..

Don't think it would happen on any of the major hunts, maybe small club hunts. GSBSO was very well organized and reputation means every thing to seeded hunts. The fields were swept clean before the hunts with pi detectors before they were seeded. Prizes are awarded by prize tokens found and done in public so you see everyone who wins....

I wouldn't hesitate at all to go to another hunt if it was close enough to attend...

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never attended one on purpose before, though one time I went detecting at a park nobody bothers detecting anymore. I basically went there to relax and maybe find a rare find like a memorial penny, ended up digging a bunch of silver Rosie's and other things. Wasn't until a few weeks later I learned that a local club was having a seeded hunt the day after I was there....oops sorry! I didn't know.

Mike
Highly doubt it was seeded the night before and left unguarded. Seeding us usually done day of or guarded if night before.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't think it would happen on any of the major hunts, maybe small club hunts. GSBSO was very well organized and reputation means every thing to seeded hunts. The fields were swept clean before the hunts with pi detectors before they were seeded. Prizes are awarded by prize tokens found and done in public so you see everyone who wins....

I wouldn't hesitate at all to go to another hunt if it was close enough to attend...

It does not matter how clean the field is before the hunt .. They can carry scrap in and put it down when hunting… no one knows what they are doing..And the more people out there hunting means you have more dishonest ones there ….

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keepy, I never thought of someone doin' that.
Retrieve a silver or token that designates a prize, and replace with a meaningless target. How twisted some must be to do that!
Great info.... Or idea for the unscrupulous.
Peace ✌
.. Cincci…… Oh yes they do it and for the most part they get away with it….. I guess some are really good at that type of cheating … Or they dig a scrap target and instead of picking it up let it lay to slow some one else down… Just like every thing else ……. every one with a detector is not honest….

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy, how many do you have first hand knowledge of or is it so & so told so & so they heard it happening...

I have hunted four 3 day seeded hunt events with no issues and know others who have hunted with no issues like you describe and we had several hundred hunters at each event.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy, how many do you have first hand knowledge of or is it so & so told so & so they heard it happening...

I have hunted four 3 day seeded hunt events with no issues and know others who have hunted with no issues like you describe and we had several hundred hunters at each event.

You do not know if you have issues they are not going to tell what they are doing and from what i hear these type of hunters are very slick operators…..Now if you knew they were doing it you would pull them out … You never know what happens in those hunts .. The ones that do it are not going to let it be known ..TH.. Every one that swings a detector is not honest … It has happened before and it will happen again …

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do not know if you have issues they are not going to tell what they are doing and from what i hear these type of hunters are very slick operators…..Now if you knew they were doing it you would pull them out … You never know what happens in those hunts .. The ones that do it are not going to let it be known ..TH.. Every one that swings a detector is not honest … It has happened before and it will happen again …

So it is strictly hearsay.... I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm saying it is rare at major seeded hunts ... I would never not attend a seeded hunt because of the outside chance of it happening.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The easier way most hunts are fixed, is to just give the main prize token(s) to a friend of the club or organizer. It never gets buried, and the club/organizer "awards" the prize to the "lucky" friend who "found" it during the hunt. The money is split, or the friend gets $100.00 and the new Minelab is returned to the organizer. This has been going on for YEARS, and yes, I do have first hand knowledge of this from two separate "organizers" that tried to get me involved in their scams over the years.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't have wanted to be that guy! Trying to explain the next day what happened. lol

I think everything has been solved! They hid the coins, the guard fell asleep, BC cleaned them out, The guard woke up and feared losing his job, buried a bunch of trash! Keppy being close enough to the area, heard about the burying of the trash! The whole thread is all coming together now!!!:laughing7:

I gotta say Nitric...that made me laugh like I never laughed before..

Mike

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I gotta say Nitric...that made me laugh like I never laughed before..

Mike
OH MY , OH MY… BC i would never thought of you like that … I am glad that .. Nitric spilled the beans on you ...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The easier way most hunts are fixed, is to just give the main prize token(s) to a friend of the club or organizer. It never gets buried, and the club/organizer "awards" the prize to the "lucky" friend who "found" it during the hunt. The money is split, or the friend gets $100.00 and the new Minelab is returned to the organizer. This has been going on for YEARS, and yes, I do have first hand knowledge of this from two separate "organizers" that tried to get me involved in their scams over the years.
You know and this is the truth .. Come to think of it the guy that won the metal detector that day .. Was one of the organizers … Terry it did seem funny to me at the time but it just come to me now that could have been why…. Any time you have cash and good prizes some one or more than one is finding a way to cheat..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still say that it is far and few between and would most likely be local hunts not the large seeded hunts....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread