Has anyone ever used a blacklight to hunt fluorescing minerals?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've done quite a bit of it. Western Wyoming is full of fluorescing material. Quite a bit here in Idaho, also. I use a dual bulb unit. Each bulb is 18 watts...really a strong light. It's also heavy, and I carry it on a handle, like a metal detector. I use a sling around my shoulders to support the weight. One bulb is shortwave light, and one is longwave light. Some material fluoresces under one, but not the other. Some material fluoresces under both, but different colors under each wavelength. This type of light is expensive, and uses lots of power. An 8 pack supply of 'D' cell Nicads lasts about 1 1/2 hours if both bulbs are on all the time.
You can get by much easier by getting an LED UV flashlight, but they don't make a shortwave LED light, so you'll miss some material. The good news is that most gems that fluoresce do so under longwave light. :-) Not all gems fluoresce, however.
If you do this, you should also buy a set of UV protective goggles. Your eyes don't focus well under UV light, and that causes a certain amount of nausea. The goggles really lessen that problem. They don't cost much, either. If you use SW light you REALLY want the goggles. If the SW light reflects off the surface of glass, or maybe water, it can damage your vision permanently. You should NEVER look directly at the light source of SW UV light.
Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Jim

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I did not know that.
I have a small light you have to be right on top of what your looking at.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, 18 watt is what you want. Just recently portable lights have gotten cheaper. I've seen 18w selling for $100-$125.00. Only a bit more than the 8-D rechargeables. Lol
I'd be sporting one IF I had flourescents within 1k miles of here! ugh-ugh
Is it true that New Jersey has the best brightest colors in the U.S?
Do have the goggles, as it will make you sick.
Ray

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Know a rock shop owner who does it all the time. Finds a bunch of stuff. Also collects the scorpions that glow from being around the rocks and keeps them in a cage at the store...

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the rock forum :) here

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, 18 watt is what you want. Just recently portable lights have gotten cheaper. I've seen 18w selling for $100-$125.00. Only a bit more than the 8-D rechargeables. Lol
I'd be sporting one IF I had flourescents within 1k miles of here! ugh-ugh
Is it true that New Jersey has the best brightest colors in the U.S?
Do have the goggles, as it will make you sick.
Ray

Any thoughts of any fluorescents to dig under 600 miles of New Orleans?
Perhaps Marion Ky fluorite is the closest. UGH-UGH 7-800 miles!!
Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread