Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like i said OK let it rain …And i never used a rain cover or a plastic bag on my detectors .. and hunted in the rain and it never hurt my detectors … I think most if you just buy to have stuff that is worthless ..
I don't know Keppy...electronics don't like water.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have homemade covers for my Teknetics Omega and Minelab xterra, but in rain I add a really thin small wastebasket liner that covers it and wraps around the handle. Main use of covers is to protect the LCD display which is easy to damage,

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not use my covers on the machines that are not water proof. I use a zip lock baggie and heavy rubber bands.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a simple zip loc style plastic bag, works perfect. Sometimes a throw a little duct tape across the zip part just in case and always take a spare. I go this route because I don't trust the traditional cover.

Yup! My buddy does that with his etrac and never had any issues.

Wrap it twice and roll the dice!..Oh..maybe that saying was meant for something else

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't even find a cover for my big block head machine.I usually just carry plastic bags in case of rain.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only take my covers off to change coils. I once run my lesche across the LCD. A cover would have prented the scratch. If you could see my coil covers, you would use a cover. The covers also keep dust out. Covers came with my detector and a detectors should come with protective covers. Its such a small cost for lots of peace of mind. You ATpro guys loose a few inches for all that waterproofing. But if your happy to be a duck good for you.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i think they're like condoms some times they fail sometimes they dont.......................its a crapshoot.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use a couple of grocery store plastic bags and some electrical tape to close it off at the shaft with enough room for my earphone cord to exit, then just hunt by sound until the rain lets up.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heat shrink clear poly bags is what I use. Like the stuff they use on gift baskets. I keep one on my 705 to keep dirt/dust off the pad along with water. Use a hair dryer to shrink it tight. Cheap efficient,effective.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks foiler.
I've heard of this. Where do you purchase the shrink wrap?
Also, is it durable?
Thanks
Peace ✌

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you detect around in the rain or around water... your clock is ticking... especially salt.
That is one reason I will never buy another non water detector.
Water just "comes with the territory"... the morning dew even is no good for electronics.
I know guys that bagged for years with detectors... to me that would be not only a pain in the arse but I look at it like this....
It can work a hundred times.... but it only has to not work once.

I have always wondered why ALL detectors were not designed with water/moisture in mind.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree ARRC. Yet my immediate concern is for preventing damage do to rain/moisture for an ETrac.
A heat shrink application might work? Or not. Worth a try...
Peace ✌

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree ARRC. Yet my immediate concern is for preventing damage do to rain/moisture for an ETrac.
A heat shrink application might work? Or not. Worth a try...
Peace ✌

Unless your rain is different than mine ;) a cover will do the job.

I've hunted in rain this hard for an hour, 2 hours, which might as well be 10 or 20 the way it's coming down and no problem. And I'd always be with someone else with an explorer doing the same, and just a cover on the thing and no bags. Never a single problem in 14 years.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tomorrow will answer my initial question.
80/100% rain ☔ is expected.
I will either fully destroy an ETrac, or a custom made cover, (mentioned in a previous thread), will work.
No double covers this time.
I will be without the luxury of tree coverage.
I will detect a "disc golf" course, concentrating on left �� and right �� of launch pads, hopefully proving another threads theory.
My ATPro will not be on site, if/when I become concerned.
If my reply tomorrow is unfavorable or outright offending, I will have trashed an ETrac.
This weeks testing of rain covers grants confidence.
Peace ✌

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From reading all the replies I think a metal detecting special made zip lock would be a great seller for a manufacturer. one size fits all, hole for headphone cord. I'd buy a three pack.

(just got an idea, box of zip lock baggies, scissors to cut a hole and some duct tape..I'll be up and manufacturing in no time.)
Anyone want to buy a three pack?

I can't believe I didn't think of this before, I'm gonna make millions !!!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From reading all the replies I think a metal detecting special made zip lock would be a great seller for a manufacturer. one size fits all, hole for headphone cord. I'd buy a three pack.

(just got an idea, box of zip lock baggies, scissors to cut a hole and some duct tape..I'll be up and manufacturing in no time.)
Anyone want to buy a three pack?

I can't believe I didn't think of this before, I'm gonna make millions !!!
Its just that simple...if you want to partner on this, I will supply the duct tape and you supply the baggies...we can hire someone to cut the holes...we will get rich.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With this days downpour, control unit remained dry when using custom cover.
I do have reservations. The battery �� compartment is subject to water damage. No harm, but I will address this before detecting in rain ☔ again!
Peace ✌

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I have rain/dust covers on all of my machines; keeps them looking new. Would I trust them protecting my expensive machines in heavy rain – doubtful? In the rain, I use the AT Pro or Gold since they are not affected by the rain. When it rains the other machines (White’s and Minelab) go back to the car. Many of us do not mind detecting in the rain. The limiting factor appears to be protecting our expensive machines from the elements. I am going out in a few minutes, of course it’s raining. The AT Pro will be joining me with the rain cover for mud control.

Happy Hunting – Rain or Shine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread