Are Diamonds worthless ??

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing has any more value than people chose to agree to give it.

A glass of water may have more value than your car if you are thirsty enough. When in doubt - buy land. It's the only thing that can't be exported.

Gerald O'Hara [Gone with the Wind]: "Do you mean to tell me, Katie Scarlett O'Hara, that Tara, that land doesn't mean anything to you? Why, land is the only thing in the world worth workin' for, worth fightin' for, worth dyin' for, because it's the only thing that lasts."

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamond prices have always been artificially inflated by rationing. If South Africa dumped all the stones they have stockpiled in warehouses on the market, the value would plummet.

But diamonds will always have a market as long as there are men trying to get women in the sack.

Nothing has any more value than people chose to agree to give it.

Not exactly.... diamonds used to be rare. They were found accidentally or by painstaking prospecting every square mile of ground for a new hotspot. That rarity gave them their value by supply and demand forces. After the debeers discovery it became an artificial price-fixing market. The debeers family sits on warehouses filled with diamonds. If those were released for sale, the diamond would become about as desirable as a piece of quartz.

So if I hold the worlds supply of water, I can make is as expensive as I want even though there is no shortage.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not exactly.... diamonds used to be rare. They were found accidentally or by painstaking prospecting every square mile of ground for a new hotspot. That rarity gave them their value by supply and demand forces. After the debeers discovery it became an artificial price-fixing market. The debeers family sits on warehouses filled with diamonds. If those were released for sale, the diamond would become about as desirable as a piece of quartz.

So if I hold the worlds supply of water, I can make is as expensive as I want even though there is no shortage.

To me its as if they already released them for sale. :dontknow: I see no reason to invest in something that I'm already aware has a flooded market. ???

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my biggest dissapointment in md'ing was selling a honker mens ring with 3 half c diamonds.the buyer(a jeweler) asked if I wanted the stones cause he didnt.A recent flood in the market of estate jewelry hasnt made jewelers too happy...they cant scrap the stuff fast enough.I have those stones and will make something with them.ebay might get a little more than gold weight..but likely not much.
and emerald coctail ring sale went MUCH better.Screw diamonds...they are best used in industry.emeralds are forever baby !!

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamond prices have always been artificially inflated by rationing. If South Africa dumped all the stones they have stockpiled in warehouses on the market, the value would plummet.

But diamonds will always have a market as long as there are men trying to get women in the sack.
Barry White and Godiva's worked well for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread