MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

Things have happened to make the ever so precious Diamonds not so precious anymore. Here is a link that shows a massive diamond vein exposed in Russia by a meteorite... ??? Published by Forbes magazine !

Is The Diamond Market About To Collapse Over Huge Russian Find? - Forbes

Also they seem to have discovered an entire planet made out of Carbon/Diamond.... That holds around a million trillion trillion carats of diamond. :icon_scratch: Worth about $26.9 nonillion, yes with an n !!

BPM 37093 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it would be better to get your wife a nice Amethyst or something instead of a diamond. :dontknow: Has the diamond market reached an end ? What do you guys think !!??

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't read the articles in your post yet. I thought those were more for tools and not jewelry. They have known about that deposit for awhile. I still think the whole diamond market is a scam anyhow though. lol

Just look at some of the real diamonds that you see in ads. When you get to the store, they are about as low of a grade you can get. They pump more money in advertising than anything. The first tennis bracelet I bought for my gf, when I first started working cost me a months pay. Now, that I know what I'm looking at,years later, the diamonds are complete crap.lol I sold estate jewelry for a short time. You would not believe the ladies that don't want a "used diamond"! What? They are all millions of years old! So, they would rather spend 10 to 100 times more on a "new diamond". lol

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A star can collapse in a carbon stage and become a very large diamond. There's lots of them. Doesn't matter because they are way out there. They have no market affect.
De Bears has controlled the market for years by managing the supply. Today diamonds can be made in a lab with devices that produce a diamond that takes an electron microscope to tell the difference. De Beers started to laser etch their diamonds with ID's because they believed buyers wanted a natural stone.
What makes a diamond valuable isn't because it's all that rare. it's perception of it's value and the fact that they really get your attention. A well cut stone is amazing to look at.
If the Russian find is managed right they won't collapse the market. Like gold, diamonds in some cultures are currency.
Maybe Jim from Idaho will chime in. He's a diamond hunter.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes a lot of lower grade diamonds are used for cutting tools...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, :hello:

Things have happened to make the ever so precious Diamonds not so precious anymore. Here is a link that shows a massive diamond vein exposed in Russia by a meteorite... ??? Published by Forbes magazine !

Is The Diamond Market About To Collapse Over Huge Russian Find? - Forbes

Also they seem to have discovered an entire planet made out of Carbon/Diamond.... That holds around a million trillion trillion carats of diamond. :icon_scratch: Worth about $26.9 nonillion, yes with an n !!

BPM 37093 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it would be better to get your wife a nice Amethyst or something instead of a diamond. :dontknow: Has the diamond market reached an end ? What do you guys think !!??

What gem is worth more than a diamond ….RUBY & EMERALD .. Diamonds are way over rated...

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a crappy investment, :icon_scratch: I'll stick with silver. :dontknow: If i ever get married I'll get her a Ruby, Emerald, Topaz or something nice. :thumbsup:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a crappy investment, :icon_scratch: I'll stick with silver. :dontknow: If i ever get married I'll get her a Ruby, Emerald, Topaz or something nice. :thumbsup:

Just get her a natural red diamond!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamonds are pretty rocks but completely worthless unless it's an exceptionally large and flawless specimen. All those pretty chips, 1/4s, 1/2s, and even 3/4 carat stones have almost no REAL value. If you feel differently, just try to sell some loose stones to a jeweler!

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamonds are pretty rocks but completely worthless unless it's an exceptionally large and flawless specimen. All those pretty chips, 1/4s, 1/2s, and even 3/4 carat stones have almost no REAL value. If you feel differently, just try to sell some loose stones to a jeweler!

I've been saying that here for 3 months, no one seems to listen to me !! :dontknow:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Go try and sell a diamond ring. He'll buy the gold, and won't pay a thing for the diamond.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) Pretty much any rock is only worth what the other guy wants to pay for it. Australia has a pretty big diamond patch to that's being sit on for similar reasons and Canada is digging into its deposites.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched a video of a huge ship mining diamonds off the coast of Africa. They must be making something because that ship has to be costly to operate.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They make money because the world is full of gullible people who still think diamonds are valuable. The evidence of real value is trying to sell them back to the sellers. I can sell all my gold and silver for 90+% or better of the spot price. If I buy an ounce for $1000, it's still worth about $1000 tomorrow. If I buy an $1000 diamond, I would be lucky to sell it back for $100.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, I sold some of my "dug" gold. One of rings had a stone �� at least 1\3 carat. It was considered so worthless, it was removed before weighing the gold ring.
Peace ✌

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The 'cut' of the stone also matters.
Passed down to me was a stone over 1 carat. I took it to the jeweler and he refused to give me a bid since the 'cut' was 'old fashioned' and not in demand.
Don...

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'cut' of the stone also matters.
Passed down to me was a stone over 1 carat. I took it to the jeweler and he refused to give me a bid since the 'cut' was 'old fashioned' and not in demand.
Don...

Sounds like another excuse to me... :dontknow:

Thanks everyone for commenting turned out to be a good post ! :notworthy:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Diamond prices have always been artificially inflated by rationing. If South Africa dumped all the stones they have stockpiled in warehouses on the market, the value would plummet.

But diamonds will always have a market as long as there are men trying to get women in the sack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread