newby night detecting (stupid, got the fever)

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sad thing is: So many places have been banned from metal detecting for NO REASON AT ALL - That's the detectorists biggest problem!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I do the majority of my detecting at night for several valid reasons, one my machines always seem to work better when the sun is down. And my best spots that I've done a lot of research on and even more to obtain permission on, is best served at night so there is less chance one of the younger entitled kids doesn't see me and decide they can walk right in and swing their coils, happens to often and not just by the kids.
Pro tip! Not being able to see in the dark blows! Do what I did long ago, and its much cheaper nowadays..
DNVM-6 Digital NV Monocular 6x color Digital Night Vision Monocular - ATN corp.

Please don't trespass!
Read the sticky at the top of this forum!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/362060-obey-laws.html

Mike

yellow_metal

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2014
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
Seriously when you read these reply give some consideration to the rest of us. We hate new laws and obstacles and have enough to deal with already. If somebody like you gets shot dead trespassing while detecting you can bet there will be headlines and at the very least some new local if not state or national laws passed in your memory.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A public sandbox and private property with posted "no trespassing" signs are very different things....

Yes. Granted. And you'll see from my context that I point out that since some md'rs actually think they need to "seek permission" for sandboxes, well then how-much-more-so would those persons take a dim view of fence-hopping. I wasn't saying they were the same in legal/ethical md'ing category :)

.....many good hunting sites are now off limits due to guys sneaking in and trespassing......

Jeremy, this notion has always perplexed me. That "laws" are created when md'rs "break laws". Huh? How so? If someone is hopping fences to detect, and is caught ...... then .... correct me if I'm wrong: Isn't he ALREADY breaking a law ? :icon_scratch: Why do you think that the cop or homeowner who chases him off, jumps from that to thinking "gee, let's make md'ing at our local beach illegal ?"

I'm not saying it's right to hop fences. But just that I don't see the connection between that, and the notion that bureaucrats will then rush to outlaw it at legal places, where no law is being broken.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Granted. And you'll see from my context that I point out that since some md'rs actually think they need to "seek permission" for sandboxes, well then how-much-more-so would those persons take a dim view of fence-hopping. I wasn't saying they were the same in legal/ethical md'ing category :)

Jeremy, this notion has always perplexed me. That "laws" are created when md'rs "break laws". Huh? How so? If someone is hopping fences to detect, and is caught ...... then .... correct me if I'm wrong: Isn't he ALREADY breaking a law ? :icon_scratch: Why do you think that the cop or homeowner who chases him off, jumps from that to thinking "gee, let's make md'ing at our local beach illegal ?"

I'm not saying it's right to hop fences. But just that I don't see the connection between that, and the notion that bureaucrats will then rush to outlaw it at legal places, where no law is being broken.

I think you are talking about laws against hunting public property, with you there. But that isn't in this conversation. We are talking about PRIVATE PROPERTY. Own any? Know what Your rights should be?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"No Reason At All" started this thread!
Peace ✌

Your wrong kid - All of the 3 rivers parks in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area have been banned to Metal Detecting for no reason, except the authorities don't understand it. Someone complained about a detectorists on a beach and "the powers that be" decided to make a law. People fear what they don't understand and therefore laws are made up.

They said they don't want people digging the beach up at a meeting - We asked about kids making sand castle's - They couldn't come up with a reply, but the law stands because a few people complain.

That is very sad - and it's happening all over this Country.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one should trespass on private property, though I think people are pushed to illegal activities as more and more "bogus" laws are passed, not saying it's right; just is. This should be a wakeup call for all detectorists to join the fight against these "powers" that push anti-detecting laws. Sign every petition, start your own petitions, attend city council meetings - BE HEARD!!!!! AHMEN!!!

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all though I do find the story amusing I do have to agree about the trespassing thing....shame shame..

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Past Times and Present Tensions: Archaeology and the psyche: part six ? archaeology as fetishism If you will notice on this link I provided in paragraph 5 is a quote by me that was borrowed with my permission. While I don't really feel I'm important enough that my permission is needed to use one of my quotes, I think it was noted out of courtesy. I feel this is where the Battle lines" should be drawn as for someone's claim to ownership of something someone finds. Unless people realize that they are stopping the natural history of an item when they force someone to do something they do not wish to do with an item, they can not argue the point of how far (and under what circumstances) controlling an item can go. While your suggestions sound good they could have a backfire effect in bringing attention to the hobby. They could be beneficial if all people involved would look at the fact of what they are talking about. That fact is that when someone is forced to do something with an item they find, the natural progression of the history of that item is lost.

Yeah Kemper - I hear what your saying. We are really in a situation of damned if you do and damned if you don't. None us can see the future, though it looks bleak for us detectorists!
Good Luck out there - and we all take the fight in our own way! :icon_thumleft:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
next time you go there just paint a bulls eye on your back so when you're running away the property owner knows where to shoot you.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near a foundation I hunt

Attachments

• image-358425874.jpg
    image-358425874.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 55

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I certainly understand the serious urge, BUT don't do it unless you get permission.
I did the night trial thing... yeah, was laughing at myself too. BUT I did it on my own acreage.
Every night, the first week with my new detector, I was tired but still up past midnight digging thru my yard like a mole.
Had to use my head lamp to see the screen... yeah, looked like an idiot too.
LOL I couldn't wait, either... :laughing7:
I didn't loose my pin pointer, but got pissed when I realized my big dog had grabbed my shovel and was playing"keep away" from me with it! He's a black dog, so, I couldn't see him until he got closer...

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, Thanks for sharing.:censored:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think we all should leave SeekandFind alone now. He knows how we feel. When I was 20 years younger, and had my first detector, I did all kinds of silly things. Many of us have. Its a part of growing up. Our hobby depends on how we raise the next generation. Lets raise them with strong ethics, and a good code of conduct. Nuff said.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your wrong kid - All of the 3 rivers parks in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area have been banned to Metal Detecting for no reason, except the authorities don't understand it. Someone complained about a detectorists on a beach and "the powers that be" decided to make a law. People fear what they don't understand and therefore laws are made up.

They said they don't want people digging the beach up at a meeting - We asked about kids making sand castle's - They couldn't come up with a reply, but the law stands because a few people complain.

That is very sad - and it's happening all over this Country.

I would like to comment about this a little. I truly believe that laws like this are made by bureaucrats and officials to make life easier for THEM, and not for the welfare of the public. The reason that these types of laws hang on the books so long is that it would actually make them do more work to get them off the books. I'm not saying that people who work for the cities and states are lazy, but they surely do not wish to do more than they have to.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Utoh!I think I hear jefferson airplane's White Rabbit playing in the background:).I use to do that kind of stuff when I was younger,I think i mostly got a thrill out of the sneaking over anything else.But later on I realized it really isn't the thing to do,and found that there are better opportunities out there if you try and do things the right way.But whatever you choose to do just be careful ,you might find something you don't want too,"or something might find you'.one possibly being trouble.gl.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread