Why One Mans Dog Loves Another

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why One Man's Dog Loves Another

As some of you know I recently moved to Indiana to winter here with my son. Whenever I visit it always drives my son nuts because his Cocker Spaniel is so absolutely devoted to me, even abandoning my son's bed for mine, this dog always in my presence and obeying every command without fault. This has been going on for several years now and despite my son's best efforts he has finally given up all hope of ever being top dog with his own dog. But why does this dog love me so much, even with my routine extended absence?

Last night, after everyone was fast asleep, as on most nights when I'm visiting, I retreat to my basement hideaway and I unlock the bottom drawer of my filing cabinet where all the dog treats and secret munchies are stored. Together the dog and I curl up to a good movie and a few snacks, come morning all evidence has been erased. :laughing7: (Kids, they just don't catch on sometimes.)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
food a dog' s best friend -- also it is why "spoiling" grandparents are wildly loved...

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
food a dog' s best friend -- also it is why "spoiling" grandparents are wildly loved...

Ditto. Spoiling a dog with treats by a visiting visitor, is an instant alteration of behavior.

Any dog will gravitate to the one who feeds them the most forbidden foods. My sister has a vicious little dog that always snaps at me intensively. First thing Sis does is hand me a piece of human food to give the dog...instant love.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night we enjoyed beef stick, cheddar cheese stick, and Ritz crackers. Dog slept like a dream. :laughing7:

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the Ritz remnants. My Rocco (25lb Min-Pin)don't do well with those. And your son's likely gonna be confused if found at your ankle end of your bed. Lol
Good story, thanks!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beef sticks, cheddar cheese sticks, and real Ritz crackers!?
We have a guest bedroom. ;)
Good story...
Peace ✌

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing this since she was a puppy....:laughing7: (In silent opposition of the controlling government policies, or course.) Tonight we have cheese puffs! :laughing7:

Last edited:

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very funny story !!!!!!!!!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
where are ya scoop? I'm a hoosier too

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, we are close bud
I was out till about 7 with a nice fire this evening

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fire sounds good! But then again, my son thinks I'm crazy because I want to grill out in the winter. :laughing7:

How close? Do you have a sunny beach, live near one? I'm starting to miss the beach. :laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the only beach I have is in my mind

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allot here with a beach within an hour or so, think of a Indiana fire pit.
But only October- November and April- May.
Oh and sometimes September when a hurricane enters the Gulf Of Mexico.
Lol Ray

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
be sure to open the trunk before the woman runs out of air ( just sayin)

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dog will love a man more than a woman ever will. If you want proof... lock each of them in the trunk of your car for an hour. Let me know which one is glad to see ya when you open the trunk.

LOL
VERY FUNNY!!! But... true! LOL
Yeah, you gotta watch out spoiling the pets too much... my dogs are RUINED!!
And, yeah, food is the trick, and play time too. The word "ball" will get my dogs up out of a dead sleep...

. spoileds 013.JPG

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This dog loves to chance the ball, but getting it back is an issue. Just more proof that possession is 90% of the law. :laughing7:

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dog will love a man more than a woman ever will. If you want proof... lock each of them in the trunk of your car for an hour. Let me know which one is glad to see ya when you open the trunk.

What kind of person would even joke about locking a dog in the trunk of a car?

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a little chi/terrier mix. She's almost 13 years old. I've had her since she was about 18 months old. A friend that is very close to my daughter moved here in June, 2013. She started coming by and taking my daughter's Australian cattle/black lab mix for a walk with her one or two evenings a week. Then it became an almost everyday thing. Occasionally she will take my dog with them also. My dog will try to tear down the doors to get into the other part of the house when the friend comes in the front door! She's 'all my dog' when the lady isn't around; but not even a friend to me when she is in the house! It's really comical.
As for food. My dog had an allergy to some kinds of human food a while back. The vet put her on steroids for about 2 months to get her redness, rash, itching cleared up. I've been giving her little bits of different foods to see if I can determine what is causing her allergy. She doesn't really like dog food, but loves human food. I have fed her several different kinds of wet food, but still can't find any that she really likes. When I got her from a shelter, I was told she had been eating only dry food. That's all the shelter fed the dogs. I already had one dog and he ate both wet and dry food. When this little female got into the wet food, she wouldn't touch dry food. I would occasionally feed them both some of the food I was eating. They both loved it.
I had to put the male down about 3 years ago, kidney failure. Since then I had stopped buying dry food because the little female never liked it. When she became allergic to some of the human food, the vet recommended that I feed her dry food. While on the steroids, she ate anything that was available. She gained from 9.4 pounds to about 10.5 pounds. After the allergies cleared up, I started feeding her some wet dog food again. She very seldom will eat the dry food.
Now, she will sniff the wet food, walk off, and look at me like I'm punishing her for something. If I sprinkle a little of what ever kind of meat that I'm eating on top of her food, she will start eating. After she finishes about half of the food in her bowl, she will look at me, wanting more of mine. I'll give her a little more of my meat from my plate. She'll finish her food and lay down and sleep for quite a while. It's like my food is an appetizer for her!
Yes, dogs can be pretty fickle when they get attached to others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread