watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver dollars did circulate widely through out the Western states - My parents have told me how in the 1950's (just after
they were married ) when they were living in Libby , Montana - they ran into them constantly , tried to get rid of them as fast as
they could because of size and weight . These would have been Peace and Morgans certainly . I would think it would be pretty
hard to lose one of these without noticing it , but If I was specifically going out looking for one , I would head for any of a
number of Western states , and I would target areas where there was a lot of activity during the winter months . Every
small mining or logging town in the West had like 17 saloons - drunken behavior was a constant - The challenge is getting
permission for an area that hasn't been worked over pretty well by now .

I grew up in the Chicago area and as a kid, I saw a lot of silver dollars in cash registers . . . I even paid for my "Nelson Fox" baseball glove with a dozen or so.
As for them being dropped by their owners, snow on the ground would pretty much guarentee they would stay lost. . . until we find them LOL.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I nearly always avoid "silver dollar" tones/signals. 99.9% of the time these tones/signals are flattened aluminum cans or tops of cans or big iron.
Ferrous/ Conductivity signals can both be elusive when hunting large silver. Have I missed a silver dollar, maybe? But not concentrating on these tones/signals, has lead to many more silvers of other denominations. Gotta pick n choose.
Good luck. Hope your first is a "CC"!
Peace ✌

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I nearly always avoid "silver dollar" tones/signals. 99.9% of the time these tones/signals are flattened aluminum cans or tops of cans or big iron.
Ferrous/ Conductivity signals can both be elusive when hunting large silver. Have I missed a silver dollar, maybe? But not concentrating on these tones/signals, has lead to many more silvers of other denominations. Gotta pick n choose.
Peace ✌

It's funny you mention flattened cans. . . the ONLY silver dollar I ever found (1922 Peace Dollar) was the third "flattened can" signal I got in a 10' x 10' area in front of a 1940's home that was going to be torn down.
Ever since then, I've only found flattened cans LOL.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny you mention flattened cans. . . the ONLY silver dollar I ever found (1922 Peace Dollar) was the third "flattened can" signal I got in a 10' x 10' area in front of a 1940's home that was going to be torn down.

I was sure my first dollar was just another piece of junk, mix that with rock-hard ground and you get nice ding on the edge (it could have been a lot worse). But when I saw the giant silver rim poking out in the bottom of the hole, I went into shock. I just sat there for a minute staring at it, saying "no, it can't be. it has to be, it can't be anything else. no, it can't be" LOL. But then I got out my camera and recorded the rest of the discovery!

I did get another perfect "silver dollar" signal later at that same spot, but it was the typical giant piece of trash.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peace ✌

Exact reason I don't discriminate it out, many gold rings tone exactly the same as aluminum cans, if you discriminate them out your discriminating out many 12, 14 and some 18k gold.... A friend found a beautiful custom made white emerald 18k ring, emeralds surround the entire ring and appraised at $7500. It toned as aluminum.... If he was discriminating out aluminum he would have missed it

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CincinnatiKid , I know what you mean about thinking that big honking dollar signal is gonna be a can , my only silver dollar (1923-S)
I was sure it was a pop can - as a result when I dug it up I scratched it quite badly on the obverse with a steel probe . It turned out
fine - I bezel set it into a bolo tie - eagle side up (Peace Dollar ) and sold it for $75.00 - I too have had an aversion to digging certain
signals -not so much the dollar ones , but the zinc penny signals - I need to get over it !- there's everything from Indian Head cents
to gold rings in that range of signal.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know bout y'all, but everytime I get that banging tone/signal, my heart pumps with anticipation and hope.
It will happen.
Peace ✌

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peace ✌

Don't know bout y'all, but everytime I get that banging tone/signal, my heart pumps with anticipation and hope.
It will happen.
Peace ✌

What? You said you don't dig them then you do?

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A fellow I worked with a while told me his uncle use to make shine close to a river that is near where I live. Said while it was cooking down the folks would play poker by a lantern, and they used mostly silver dollars. He told me exactly which cove it was in and the old fire base was still there. Checked it out the following weekend and sure enough, you could see the base where the cooker was made with river rock. I searched the place hoping they had gotten buzzed enough to lose a few silvers. All I found was a rusty old prince Albert can. Been thinking of going back since deer season's over and do a wider perimeter search. You never know.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was inferring to lower silver tones/signals than silver dollar tones/signals. But I wholeheartedly thank you Jason of Enid for pointing out my miscommunication. I will do my utmost best to clarify any and all statements I make in the future.
If you are willing to reveal what detector you regularly use, I may be able to explain in depth what I so wrongly stated to you. Please forgive me. It will never happen again.
Peace ✌

OP
OP
sproatz

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was inferring to lower silver tones/signals than silver dollar tones/signals. But I wholeheartedly thank you Jason of Enid for pointing out my miscommunication. I will do my utmost best to clarify any and all statements I make in the future.
If you are willing to reveal what detector you regularly use, I may be able to explain in depth what I so wrongly stated to you. Please forgive me. It will never happen again.
Peace ✌
Really?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the mid to late 70's when I was shopping for a detector, the local White's dealer sent me to talk to a couple that were using White's machines. I was very impressed with their finds, they had found a hot spot where the fair grounds had been over at the coast. They wouldn't say what town, but the fair was located on sandy ground, and they had a gallon jar half full of silver dollars. A few years ago, when I bought my MXT from this same dealer, (part time dealer, out of his garage) him and his brother-in-law were spending weekends in Nevada working the tailings of an old mine. They were raking and detecting tailings and finding raisin sized nuggets, not lots, but enough to make it worthwhile for the two of them. The miner had been living in a tent, and one day while the other guy was raking, the dealer detected the tent area. Buried near the tent site, he found an stack of 18 silver dollars, like the guy had dug a little hole and put a roll or partial roll into the ground for safe keeping. To add insult to injury, the two middle ones were CC's and to my eye, they look darn near uncirculated. Another friend who has never owned or used a metal detector picked up a silver dollar off the top of the ground next to the steps of an old house, out west of town on some farm land. But alas, sniff, sniff, my first detector was a BFO unit back before 1970, so for 35 years -- sniff, sniff, sob -- deep breath, sniff -- I've never found a silver dollar. Found a few flattened cans though.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't believe they were in circulation as much as regular coinage, you believe what you want but the numbers of them being found are the indicator for me as to how much they were in circulation.jmho. Goodluck![/QUOTE
They were used heavily as pocket change in certain states. examples would be Montana and Nevada. I found
one with a metal detector in Montana and got one out of a slot machine in Nevada, and I know approximately
where one was lost in Nebraska. I'll find it next time I go thru there.

Tell you what..tell me where you lost the coin in Nebraska and I will go find it for you...Sound good to you?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is funny, I just remembered losing a IKE "silver" dollar in my parents back yard. Way back about 30+ years ago I had my first ever detector and wanted to learn it. So I grabbed a handful of clad (including the IKE) and tossed it out into the back yard. I found everything EXCEPT the Ike dollar! All I could ever figure out is that it must have managed to roll und er go under or through the fence into the neighbors yard.

I may have to go back and look for it! It can be my 3rd to find, LOL

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I always dig those flattened can signals. Just like those pull tab signals, keep ignoring them and you will be passing over some really good finds.

OP
OP
sproatz

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you could of walked right over a sterling silver bowl or serving trays and would of thought it was a can. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions