Digger/Trowel recommendations

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure like my Lesche digger. $34 to $40 depending where you buy one but they are a good investment. Depending on soil & decorum I use the Lesche, a U.S. Marine Corps fighting knife (70's Camillus version), a stainless steel bulb planter from Lowes with a narrow, half-round blade and a large, cushy hand grip and or a small wood handled trowel that was something my wife got free for a garden book club.

Don't show up at a town park or school with a 7" fighting knife. Bad form.

I also carry a bricklayer's hammer if I'm cellar holing, in the woods, or where there might be fossils. Great for chopping out tree roots, splitting shale, breaking up hardpan, etc. You can spend 2X more and get a chisel head geologist's/rock hammer - same tool.

OP
OP
R

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Tony and Charlie thanks for the recommendation on the Lesche. Lesche it is. I went the garden trowel route and each time I would get a more sturdy tool but not sturdy enough. Hunted this Monday and unfortnantly half the garden tool is still in the ground.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Guess you made up your mind. But anyways, I have heard nothing but great things about the Lesche. I have heard that they are almost indestructible. I think you will like it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what I'll carry in my trunk all season now. I can't find the little trowl, I think THE ADMIRAL stole it back. Crook. The Lesche doesn't show the teeth well in this image. One side has some root savaging teeth.

The relic shovel is basically the Lesche upset and after exposure to Gamma Rays.

Highly recommend the rubberized woven nitrile gardening gloves. "Puncture resistant" and that's not a bad thing where needles and razor blades occur (which they do regularly in local parks - sheesh!)

Attachments

• IM000916.JPG
    IM000916.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 567
OP
OP
R

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Here's what I'll carry in my trunk all season now. I can't find the little trowl, I think THE ADMIRAL stole it back. Crook. The Lesche doesn't show the teeth well in this image. One side has some root savaging teeth.

The relic shovel is basically the Lesche upset and after exposure to Gamma Rays.

Highly recommend the rubberized woven nitrile gardening gloves. "Puncture resistant" and that's not a bad thing where needles and razor blades occur (which they do regularly in local parks - sheesh!)

Thanks for the tip on the gloves. I thought about using gloves, but did not know about the rubberized gloves you mentioned. I always knew I was taking a chance without them.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hiya,

I know you made your decision on the digging tool but I thought I would add my 2 cents

I picked this one up at Lowes for about $15, Its called an Ames 7in1 trowel. IT works really well and its not intimidating at the tot lots.

Attachments

• 7in1ames.jpg
    7in1ames.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 543
  • 7in1ames.jpg
    7in1ames.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 525

jeffinflint

Feb 10, 2007
I got a Raptor, and I had sharpened at Ace Hardware. This is best digging tool I have ever used.

HH, Jeff in Flint, MI

Attachments

• raptor.jpg
    raptor.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 525
  • raptor.jpg
    raptor.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 419

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
jeffinflint said:
I got a Raptor, and I had sharpened at Ace Hardware. This is best digging tool I have ever used.

HH, Jeff in Flint, MI

I really like the look of that digger! I have been wondering about it for soil removal from the hole. I still love my lesche but friends of mine use the older Gator that removes soil much like that Raptor looks like it would remove.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Wilcox 20" handled trowel, anything else is flirting with carpal tunnel syndrome. ;)

jeffinflint

Feb 10, 2007
I have one those old gators, and I have to bend it back into shape just about evertime I go out. The Raptor puts the Gator to shame. Just make sure if you get one, that you get it sharpened. When out in public, the Raptor doesn't look like a knife, so it is less intimidating, but it is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Shallow stuff is a breeze, but if you need to go deep, it will go deeeeppppp very fast. It is well woth the money, it's not cheap.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Just bought a Fiskar's digging trowel. Much like the Lesche but only $9.99 from Target's garden dept.

I use a pie server for sand. Yup plastic pie server that's used for serving individual wedges. Dollar store find. ;D

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
its_toby said:
Hiya,

I know you made your decision on the digging tool but I thought I would add my 2 cents

I picked this one up at Lowes for about $15, Its called an Ames 7in1 trowel. IT works really well and its not intimidating at the tot lots.

I bought two of those, They work great and have a saw edge to get through those nasty roots (2 one for each truck that way I don't forget it...lol)

jeffinflint

Feb 10, 2007
Craftsman Rapid Digger

I love this tool for prospecting on hard tough ground. But, if you need to totaly rip some soil, this is the tool. However, it will rip through anything, even solid cement. So, you have to be careful with coins and jewelry. But, this is one tough tool.

Attachments

• Rapid Digger.JPG
    Rapid Digger.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 319

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought the fiskar version of the Ames 7in1 trowel. Wanted something on Amazon to go with the C size batteries (2 Rayovac 12 battery packs for less than $21) I ordered to get free shipping. Doesn't have the inch markings, but otherwise looks the same. I'll see if I like it and let Tnet know if I don't.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Hi all,

I can't even remember what kind of digger I use to use (yikes).
But here is what I have been using for several years.
Unlike the cheaper diggers, you won't have to bend it back in place or pick up any missings parts. It is nearly indestructable!
The only problem I can see, is trying to tell you where you can get one like it. It was not store-bought. I purchased two of these from a gentleman at one of the Treasure Expo's in Fremont N.E.
All I know is that he was an elderly man (probably in his 70's)that everyone called "speedy" because of how fast he was during the competition hunts. He would not take a check, it was "cash only". I think he thought the Infernal Revenue was watching him and maybe they were.
It has been a great digger. I hope I never loose it or wear it out.

Attachments

• MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 207
  • MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 200
  • MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 206

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks dandy!

I have been trying to get the company that displayed this one to respond (without luck). If they ever do I will buy one and post the link. You are supposed to contact them for a price and they don't contact back. It looks ideal to me.

cts%20black%20widow%20t%20handle.jpg

Long handled version, too.

cts%20long%20digging%20tool.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread