Whats the best treasure hunting equipment money can buy?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

The best metal detector is the one you are comfortable using and skilled in its operation. This requires many hours of “in the field” detecting live targets by you. I have read in various posts that 100+ hours of operation is a good reference point, I think this is valid number in most cases; especially if you wish to hunt with tone only. I believe most of members of this forum have multiple detectors for different hunting environments and needs. I do not think there is a “best” detector, but having a number of machines with different purposes will meet almost any hunting experience.

Happy Hunting

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, you can't buy the best treasure hunting equipment as it already rests between your ears, but if I had the money I would have a stable of detectors to fit the situation I was facing. So, first would be a modern coin and ring machine with a VDI including a large, medium and small coil which would be used as my major workhorse machine. Then a VLF-TR like an older Whites 5900, 6000, or Garrett Deepseeker, or Groundhog with an assortment of coils also, for hunting those old deep sites and relics. I would also have to have a BFO for high grading mine tailings, locating black sand deposits, paper money, and it's uncanny ability to sniff out gold chains where all other systems fail miserably, and any big coils I could find, as one of these with the extra large coils makes a pretty awesome deepseeking detector. So, now I would want a beach and surf machine to hunt in the water along the oceans edge, probably a PI unit. You would also need a gold machine dedicated to locating gold nuggets. Then last but not least I would have a 2 box TR unit for that big deep stuff. The old Groundhog unit was made to be plugged into a two box system, so it would serve a dual purpose if I had one of those setups. That would pretty well cover it for me, but right now I am making do with a second hand BH 202 which has paid for itself multiple times and covers most the hunting I am presently engaged in. I speak with some experience as I began detecting in 1964 with a Fisher T-20 BFO, and have owned and used many different machines in the past 50 years and found several dump truck loads of coins and everything else, some were magic, and others were miserable. Cheers!!

karlH

Sep 28, 2011
Well after another year and a lot of work have a unit field tested and ready to sell. Have found many dumps, trash pits and privies. I have relocated to the Augusta Georgia area and have a pit to dig on Monday that I found with the radar.
My site is www.easyradusa.com , trying very hard to reduce the price to under $4000 so as many people as possible can have a chance to try real ground radar. Happy New Year to all. Karl in IMG_3494.JPG Aiken SC IMG_3507.JPG IMG_3514.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3507.JPG
    IMG_3507.JPG
    829.3 KB · Views: 163

vanderleven

Greenie
Jun 1, 2013
MEXICO
Detector(s) used
GPR, MALA , GARRET,WHITE, FISHER,WHITE, JEOHUNTER,ACUUMETER,RUNABOUT,NOGGIN,NOTKA, SSL ,OKM runabout, Lorenz
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi karl:

Today i sent a mail about your equipment. my name is Daniel Vander leven http://www.treasurehuntermexico.com.mx i thought may be your equipment is possible distribuited in Mexico.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro,
W.O.T. Coil,
research and a bit of luck

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors are all like tools in a tool box. With a blank check, you would still need multiple "tools" to accomplish your goal efficiently. My choices -The GPZ7000 or GPX 5000 would do well at finding a cache in a site that isn't too trashy with iron. A traditional two box or similar like the Fisher Gemini III or Garrett GTI 2500 with Treasurehound would be helpful for large targets that are deep. The new XP Deus Hoard Coil anticipated for 2016 might be a good tool. and finally, some type of GPR to help look for ground disturbances, caves and voids.

I don't think you can use one detector effectively to find these types of treasure.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Your question is incorrect. There is no 'best ' detection equipment! There is only the best equipment for a specific purpose.
I do all kinds of Treasure hunting, except diving. That is in a class by itself.
Here's how I look at the best for the situation at hand. I carry all of my detectors in a Motorhome when I go after a cache. If I am looking for grandpa's loot he hid before he passed, I will use my 15 year old Whites Surfmaster . It will go down deep and work fast. This type of cache will be found at 2' or less. I use this same detector on the beach also. It has hit anchors at 4' on the beach. Now if I am looking for something specific like a ring that has been lost in a junkey area, I will use my Whites XLT because it can be set for that item and it pinpoints EXACTLY. Now if I am looking for a big deep cache, well it's time to break out the Hays 2 Box. It will go over 6' down or sideways. Yes you can walk along a wall and it will nail it at over 6'.
So you see that the target defines the best detector, not the ads or bragging. You notice that my detectors are over 15 years old, even the 2 Box. Good equipment holds up and there has been little if any change in the detecting power of detectors. Oh yes, there have been bells and whistles added, but some are more hindrance than help. Mine are almost turn on and go and little if any calibration is necessary during the day with the exception of the 2 Box which is touchy by it's very process and sensitive.
Hay, I have been at this since the 70"s and hunted all over the USA.
FRANK
Emerald on cross 2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread