AT Pro/gold Ace series Retro fit handle

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys please take a look at this. Personally I hate the "S" shaped handles..they don't balance right and cause fatigue so I developed a straight shaft retro fit handle. People that saw it liked it, made some locally and it took off really well, so I patented it and manufacture them. I and others weren't about to pay near $200 for a certain other handle and this one is easy to attach, you don't have to break down the whole detector. Check it out here or Finders Keepers

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_MAK_0326_zps3aa76974.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_MAK_0326_zps3aa76974.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 87
  • C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_MAK_0327_zpsc50372ff.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_MAK_0327_zpsc50372ff.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 117

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only used "S" shaped shafts. Yes, they may cause fatigue. But, I believe it's simply weight and not design. Does a straight shaft improve balance?
Will a straight shaft alleviate fatigue/weight by design?
What are your shafts composed of?
How long was patent procedure?
Are coil cables contained within shaft?
Thanks
Peace ✌

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll answer questions in order.. Yes a straight shaft improves balance and is easily felt once used, take notice of all the higher end machines that use straight shaft design and those that use a large coil, a straight shaft helps balance and removes the fulcrum position of where your pointer finger is in an S shaft.
The shafts are made of the same aluminum alloy that Garrett uses but with a thicker wall since my design uses pipe for strength rather than tubing that Garrett uses. As far as my patent process I don't know why that even needs to be answered but it does take some time(several months) but was easier since I'm filed as a micro entity and not that of a larger business,a corporation or a business with more than one person owning the design. As far as fees it also ranges in price to size of business and again due to micro entity it costs only $745 and lasts me for 11 years and that is per item or per kit if that's how it's deemed. There are a lot of people that have and use my tools and the handle. I've had one complaint and that came from a guy who tried to use the sand scoop to dig up then pry up a metal post that was cemented in the ground, covered by sand. The scoop bent and he tried to get a new one for free but his wife wouldn't go along with it and told the truth. He is buying a new scoop now. I build my stuff to last but anything can be abused. Also No the cables are not contained, the retro fit handle is just a handle.the upper part where the handgrip, box and arm cuff is not the whole shaft. Check the website out and see.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I have been using the At Pro with the Garrett standard shaft and find it awkward at times. I replaced my Garrett Infinium LS with an Anderson straight shaft, what a difference! I would be interested in hearing from forum members on how your design feels after a few hours of detector time. Also, how does your price compare to the Anderson replacement shaft.

Thank you for your time.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im very interested in this! I have been contemplating doing something to the shaft/handle of my AT Pro to make it more comfortable. I get arm fatigue and elbow pain after detecting for more than an hour. You mentioned your tubing has a thicker wall, can you tell me what type of weight difference if any this creates between your product and the OEM piece? Do you have any Tnet members that have used your shaft on the AT pro and if they have any reviews? Thanks!

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no distinguishable difference in weight at all and as far as references on Tnet I have none here I do on other sites that I'm mot allowed to mention and the reason for this site is you have to become a charter member before you can sell. I honestly have been selling them through my own website and recently contracting with certain metal detecting supply companies we all know. The pictures you see are actually from a buyer who posted them on another site and how happy he is about his purchase and how its made a difference in fatigue and arm/shoulder pain.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you bzbadger.
I didn't mean to seem offensive with my initial questions. I only "badgered" you with a multitude of questions because I think you have a great product.
Also, I once gave thought to patenting an unrelated product. At the time, initial cost was formidable.
GL
Peace ✌

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if this can be adapted to the CZ3D? I used mine this weekend with the big 10" coil and it is probably the most unbalanced machine that I have ever used.

I checked the website out. Does the rock pick fit on the T-handle?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poontman, I'm about to buy a CZ3D " older one" and I'm well.aware of how unbalanced this machine is and I plan on designing a handle to fit it if the current one doesnt fit. From what I've seen its very close and may not have to do anything but don't know until I get my hands on the 3D.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grr I meant pointman, hate a misspelling on a post

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Poontman, I'm about to buy a CZ3D " older one" and I'm well.aware of how unbalanced this machine is and I plan on designing a handle to fit it if the current one doesnt fit. From what I've seen its very close and may not have to do anything but don't know until I get my hands on the 3D.

Definitely let me know. Please PM me.

Looks like it should fit the AT Pro rod. All you would do on the adapter for the control box is drill out the old rivets and then have to drill and rivet it back in place on the new shaft, unless one will come with it. I think that it would work if the length and upper and lower shaft would fit. The spring holes for the lower rod would have to be re-oriented 90 degrees, though, I think.

The CZ-3D with the 10" coil is a beast to swing. I swung one for 2 hours this past weekend and then I switched to my CTX with 10" coil and it felt like a toy for the 3 hours I used it. Weight/balance wise, I would prefer using the CTX with a 17" coil verses the CZ-3D with 10" coil. The CZ-3D is a detector where the S-shaft absolutely is a poor idea and it begs to be re-engineered.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had two AT Pros and loved them but sold them both for the same reasons stated above. The balance was off and the arm and wrist fatigue from the S shaft. Even with the popular smaller coil installed I would still have this issue.
Had your Handle replacement been available, I would still have an AT Pro.
Looks like a great design and when I replace my AT Pro I will definitely look to your upgrade.
Best of luck bzbadger!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just ordered one for my GOLD, can't wait to get it, I too hate the fatigue of the s design. had considered building my own but at this price, decided it was just too hard to beat. thanks for your post

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bzbadger, also very interested in what you find out in reference to the CZ3D. Keep us posted, THX and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread