What map sites do you use?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Winter is setting in here in Mich.......time to research some new sites!! Question......I have been using Historic map works, and I love their overlay feature, and found some great home sites, that produced some older finds. Problem..........sometimes the overlay feature does not work, for weeks at a time!!!..............Is there a better choice for finding old home sites, as far as a mapping site? What is everyone using

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually start a search with Google earth. Although, I wish sat scans would also been done in fall when less foliage reveals more ground.
Historic Map Works is my go to for purchasing local maps. They help to have on hand when traversing woodlands looking for sites.
GL
Peace ✌

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually start a search with Google earth. Although, I wish sat scans would also been done in fall when less foliage reveals more ground.
Historic Map Works is my go to for purchasing local maps. They help to have on hand when traversing woodlands looking for sites.
GL
Peace ✌

Did you try going back to early spring?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wt, I haven't. Tried, but don't know how.
Please explain.
Thanks
Peace ✌

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GIS (my county has a free link). It shows who owns the property. And Google Earth.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use to use a NOAA / Google Maps mashup as shown here:
NOAA Charts/Google Maps mashup

but it hasn't worked lately, does anyone have something similar? Something that shows a google map and water levels?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One of my favorite maps sites is historicaerials.com

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GL
Peace ✌

I agree with worldtalker. Sliding back the time line on the map had helped me search more clearly in the more grown up areas.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent time in libraries, and museum archives. I have found that many time the images you find on line are horrible compared to what you can get if take your own pics of the original source materials.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Historical USGS Topo Maps

The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

These topo maps go back to the mid-nineteenth century for some locations around the country. In my area, Louisiana, they usually only go back to the 1920's or 1930's, but I still use them for finding old schools, farms, etc.

Zoom in the map to the area you're interested in, then on the right side click "MARK POINTS". Left click on the map to drop a red marker where you want it. Left-click on the red marker and a bubble appears with a list of all the available topo maps for that area. Right-click on the file size and select "Open"...a pdf file will be downloaded to your PC.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions