How do you properly clean coppers?

nate7394

Aug 16, 2012
Middlesex County, MA
Detector(s) used
Deus, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my 3rd large cent today along with a few other odds and ends. When I got home, I threw it in some boiling hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for roughly five minutes. Then I lightly brushed it with a toothbrush until the thin layer of crust came off. As a result, the coin now has what look like rust spots all over the obverse side. These spots appear vividly when put in the correct lighting (see pic 2). I can still see all the details, but these spots really take away from the visual appeal of the coin.

For my previous two large cents, I had used the olive oil method (which worked fine). I stopped because I had heard that olive oil could actually end up damaging a coin because of it's acidity. My question for y'all is what you think the best method for cleaning old coppers is. Thank you-Nate

IMG_1694.jpg IMG_1695.jpg IMG_1696.jpg

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Everyone seems to have their own recipe. Since I'm not selling I use a fibre brush from Lowe"s
on a dremel with either virgin olive oil or GO-JO Original crème. Requires patience and knowing
when to stop.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you got it clean enough. If you keep going you are going to start removing patina (which is corrosion) and only showing the ugly, pitted metal remaining underneath.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread