How to cast a natural-looking nugget for an earring or pendant

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pour it in to hay it will come out like gold crystal they due it around here with copper or take a rock and form a cavity in plaster of pair's make a cope and drag good luck

liftloop

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a tutorial on the Steam Casting Method:
Steam Casting Lessons

Steam casting is great way to cheaply cast jewelry!

By all means be careful as this stuff will get hot!
PM with any questions!

Start by using some jewelers wax and melt some small chunks together then use an Exacto knife to carve the basic shape you want then smooth it with a small flame.
This may take a few times to get the hang of it!
Look at some nugget pictures to get an idea what you're going for!
image.jpg

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The method of casting depends on the form you want the earring to take - if as you mentioned you really want it o look like a gold
nugget - then you start with that nugget shape to either make an impression in something like dental investment , or Delft clay -
The original model could be formed through wax carving , but I think it would be much easier to start with a smaller copper nugget
which can (except for the color ) look like the gold nugget form . A rubber mold could then be made of that - and a wax duplicate
made .Then you follow the "lost wax casting " process . You might want to go on youtube and look at some of the possible casting
options available to you .

OP
OP
Snarkie

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere else, I saw something about casting in ashes. Online, I saw a pour into a rock salt mould. Now, I'm getting feedback on wax, latex and all kinds of stuff.

Am I missing something?

What do you pour your silver or gold into, to make a nugget?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I understand it, this is not that easy. :icon_scratch: You kinda have to know what your doing... :dontknow: Gold melts much hotter than silver, I don't think a standard torch will get hot enough. ??? I think you need some kind of forge and possibly some flux... You should use all the same Karat gold so it won't be an odd percentage. I've wanted to do this myself, but just seems like a lot to do and kinda hard ! :BangHead: You can poor it into just about everything, from wood blocks to a sand mold. You want textures you line the mold with hay and that will leave a texture but the hay will instantly burn away. I don't know it would be cool if you did it, may help me.

If you do it, I can't wait to see the thread/post of it. :thumbsup:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with melting same kt. If not, more or less impurities will need removed.
Be very careful when attempting at home ��!
GL
Peace ✌

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EEEEEEEAZY!

Just get a bucket of water and ice. Make sure the water is very cold. Melt your scraps, then pour the molten gold into the bucket of icewater. It will form beautiful natural looking nuggets. If you don't like the shape, you can always remelt and repour. Simple and cheap.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread