Oh Man!!

gtfd47

Apr 10, 2007
Northeast MA
Detector(s) used
Whites spectrum xlt
So how about this one. I am new to this as I have previously stated. I found a sweet series of cellar holes dating probably to the late 1700s in the woods. I go out yesterday, and for the first time, I put the loop of my Whites XLT spectrum to the ground. I take a couple of steps and bam, the tone is going off. Excitedly and unexperienced, I start to dig...Nothing. This goes on for an hour or so. Hit then nothing. I figure something is wrong with me or the detector. I am so frustrated, I put the detector down, with the pin point switch on and head phones still attached. I sat on the ground with my feet out by the loop when...overload. I was wearing STEEL TOE boots!!!!. Please tell me this has happened to someone else or just add insult to injury and tell me I am an idiot. All I came up with was an old Iron lock mechanism and enough nails to rebuild the house, but nonetheless, it was as good an introduction to the sport.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Welcome, Gtfd47! Glad to have you with us!

And no, you're definitely not the first to detect his own feet. ;)

As a matter of fact, I know a highly experienced relic hunter who made a similar "find" after strapping on a pair of heavy-duty snake leggings. Seems they have bronze mesh sandwiched between the layers of canvas!

Again, it's great to have you aboard, and I'll be watching for your future posts and finds!

All the best,
PBK

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
Welcome gtfd47! I feel your pain :D
I'm also a newbie, and I discovered (the hard way) - when scanning the hole to see if the 'treasure' is still down there, don't leave your digging tool right next to the hole! ;D
Best of luck and Hh-
Kilika

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
I can honestly say you are not the first............Been there done that.....Still do it occasinally when I go out after work, take a few beeps to realize I have them on.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Been there, done that...its all the fun in MD'ing m8

BTW rings are not a wise thing to take along, it took serveral hours to figure that one ;)

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
and if you use a Sun Ray probe it's always good th remember to switch it back to the target position be fore hunting. You don't want to know how many times I have forgotten to do it

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason I didn't wear my steel-toe boots the other day when I went out was because I read about someone else making that same frustrating mistake here on T-Net... funny, but apparently it can be a very common and overlooked mistake. Heh... good thing you noticed and didn't keep wearing them every trip, digging up everything around you.

Bran <><

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Since you are all confessing, I will too... :P

I've never done the steal toe boot thing, but have left my digging tool too close to the hole.

But the worst is walking around for twenty minutes and realizing I forgot to turn the detector back on! I always feel like I missed "the big one" and have to retrace my steps as best I could! :-[

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Montana Jim said:
But the worst is walking around for twenty minutes and realizing I forgot to turn the detector back on!

One of treasure hunting's best known personalities once appeared on a magazine cover, intently scanning around an old cabin. Since it was a promotional photo, the detector housing was prominently displayed and sharply in focus. Unfortunately, the power switch was OFF !

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben there done that,and even held my scoop over detector with my wedding band on. :-[ ::) HH

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
tenbears said:
Ben there done that,and even held my scoop over detector with my wedding band on. :-[ ::) HH

Yea! Done that too... wearing a watch and moving a clump of dirt under the coil... LMAO...

"There has to be something there!" Beep Beep Beep... LOL :D

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Weedhopper! You have just learned one of the first lessons of this new life you have chosen.

Go forth now!..............There is much to be learned!

Many of us have had that happen, and some of these new machines are so sensitive that the metal eyelets on your footwear can set off your unit. My younger brother spent most of his time at the beach one night backing up, constantly, because he had steeltoed rubber boots on. Thanks for the memories!
Have fun!.......Good luck and happy hunting!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
We learn from our mistakes. At least you admitted yours and had a lot of other folks fess up too. ;D

I do not wear steel toed boots so that never happened to me.

Welcome to the hobby. Happy Hunting.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Now that I have syopped chuckling long enough to relate my own...

Some years ago I got what we could only figure were the lace gromets in my Boots.

Don't feel like the lone ranger, we all do things like this. And as long as we TH, we will continue to do them.

And laugh later,
Old Dog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread