mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's like asking "what's your favorite beer?"

I like the Pistol Probe and the Sunray.........and a nice dark stout.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question that you asked should be asked in about a month or so. There are new products that are on their way out that might clime to the top of the market. The Minelab that you asked about is a great pointer along with the Whites TRX and currently have a good following. The current crop has two pointers that have a high amount of reported problems and they are the Garrett pro pointer and the Chinese X pointer. Take a look about March one and see what is available and how they have in the hands of all these reporting members here.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The past few thread's I've seen about pinpointers a lot of people said they liked the xpointer. What problems are there with them?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's like asking "what's your favorite beer?"

I like the Pistol Probe and the Sunray.........and a nice dark stout.

I use a DX-1.....best stout I ever tasted!!

4731313195_9c1c1a51f5.jpg

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The past few thread's I've seen about pinpointers a lot of people said they liked the xpointer. What problems are there with them?

The battery springs breaking off on the original and now the same on the improved version plus they have a hard time sensing some metals effectively. I also seen some reports about leaking through the speaker.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
The question that you asked should be asked in about a month or so. There are new products that are on their way out that might clime to the top of the market. The Minelab that you asked about is a great pointer along with the Whites TRX and currently have a good following. The current crop has two pointers that have a high amount of reported problems and they are the Garrett pro pointer and the Chinese X pointer. Take a look about March one and see what is available and how they have in the hands of all these reporting members here.
The current crop has two pointers that have a high amount of reported problems and they are the Garrett pro pointer and the Chinese X pointer.

So tell me about all the reported issues with the X-Pointer since it hit the market last year? Battery terminals? Those were fixed in mere a month or two immediately after realease. Is that the high amount of reported problems?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True and tested, although counterfeited, I stand by Garrett's ProPointer.
Other recent same topic threads state a new "fully" waterproof version is soon to be released.
But as bowwinkles says, many new pinpointers are due. Save your coins for now. ;)
GL
Peace ✌

Spike5887

Jul 22, 2013
South-West Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently use a TRX right now and its amazing but im also looking forward to seeing the new garrett one too

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett pro pointer is the top one just my individual biased opinion.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best synopsis on pinpointers that I have heard can be found on the detect america website. They have a show called "The Good, Bad and the Cheap". It is a long video, but they give a very good account of the shortcomings and strengths of each. I agree with them 100% on their findings.

It is dated back in October so it doesn't talk much about the Makro which is my favorite. To give you some idea of my experience, I have extensively used all the pinpointers and then some, except the Deteknix and Pistol Probe, but like it is said, it is all based upon what you would like yourself.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The current crop has two pointers that have a high amount of reported problems and they are the Garrett pro pointer and the Chinese X pointer.

So tell me about all the reported issues with the X-Pointer since it hit the market last year? Battery terminals? Those were fixed in mere a month or two immediately after realease. Is that the high amount of reported problems?

I am also understanding that it interfers with the detector. EMI issues.

OP
OP
W

woodrat

Dec 26, 2014
louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer se. Whites trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I decided to go with the trx thank for the input though just seemed liked it was twice as deep as the Garret

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use your explorer se for depth and your pinpointer for precision. ;)
Peace ✌

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you'll be happy with the TRX. I really like mine. Be sure to read the manual and check out a video or two for it, as there is a lot of adjustments you can easily do with it, like changing the sensitivity ect. I really like the tip only detection and the instant sens ratchet down feature! Enjoy!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just purchased the trx from Big Boys and will have it next week. Will be sure to share my thoughts. Thanks Evan and Bart.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Garrett Pro Pointer and the White's TRX, but I'm always open to use new products!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same person been going on for months about shoddy X-Pointer - He tried to pry up battery connections causing it to break and he has been a angry little badger ever since - No kidding, first it was a big issue about paperwork needed for warranty - Manufacturer fixed issue - Then went on about broken battery connection - When asked how he got on with Deteknix support - reply oh I didn't bother sending it in, I just binned it - Now how can Makro let alone any company make things right for this guy??

They cant.............yet he has complained for months on various boards about how shitty the very good X-Pointer actually is -

Some folks complaint n to just complain to complain. I too had a issue with garret pp, but it was taken care of and I regret evey bad thing I said. See Evan Granger at Bart's Big Boys for your trx. I trust Evan and he has my business. Next purchase may be a dues. Don't tell first Texas.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also understanding that it interfers with the detector. EMI issues.

The only time I have had my xpointer interfere with the detector is when I have the pointer within 6" of the coil. Like when I set the detector next to the hole and probe. You can hear the emi drive the detector crazy. Easy fix. Don't set the coil within 6" of the pointer lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread