Holy crap it is cold outside... And I am in Florida... sheesh. How cold are you ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll trade ya !

Untitledgg.jpg

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were 38 here in Pa, I'd be out detecting. That's warm to me. It's 8 above now and the ground is frozen.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were 38 here in Pa, I'd be out detecting. That's warm to me. It's 8 above now and the ground is frozen.

at the very least 38 would be T-shirt Weather today :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right now it's 2°F in Vestal NY. Last night was -1°F with a 30 mph wind at sunset. That takes your breath away - something like -30°F with the wind chill (-49°F to -27°F depending who you believe). Lots of fun to get water out to the animals in that.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats crazy is... I dread even going out to get something out of the car below 60 heh.

I grew up in and on water...
My blood is thinner than water as well.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now it's 2°F in Vestal NY. Last night was -1°F with a 30 mph wind at sunset. That takes your breath away - something like -30°F with the wind chill (-49°F to -27°F depending who you believe). Lots of fun to get water out to the animals in that.

Charlie ? Your animals are "outside" in weather like that ?
My better half just saw that post...
And she says "she wants to know" heh

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats crazy is... I dread even going out to get something out of the car below 60 heh.

I grew up in and on water...
My blood is thinner than water as well.

I'm the same way.

If I have a month in the 80's & we hit low 70's
I dread going out without throwing a Sweat Shirt over My T & a Hoodie on.

However after this week, If the temps hit 40 tomorrow, I'd start sweating doing anything outside.

it's all conditioning

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is 9 degrees here. Laid in bed and listened to the wind. Sounded like a blizzard out there. BRRRRR. And I am betting Charlie has livestock. I had horses for years and it is tough to keep water to them in the cold. But, can't bring them in.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 degrees here.....schools are closed, wind chill -20 degrees...........yep its cold!!

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about right now, but at 5:30 am it was 5 below at my house. The girls are leaving for Florida on Saturday and I gotta stay home in the cold............darn.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie ? Your animals are "outside" in weather like that ?
My better half just saw that post...
And she says "she wants to know" heh

As well she should be concerned.

We have a south facing lean-to shelter and barn for the Shetland sheep (8 currently - should be 12 to 14 in the spring) to use and they will not go into it at night - even though that's were we feed them (hay at all times and Shepherd 16 - 16% protein for their little "engines" - twice a day). I know of two local sheep farms that don't offer ANY shelter - not even trees (which we also have for their windbreak inside the pasture). But then they have 8" thick wool sweaters. That's one of the reasons we went with that breed - they are "native" to Scandinavia (off shoot of the Finn sheep) and tolerant of North Sea cold winters. I still feel for them, and we put water out twice a day.

The turkeys and chickens are in coops that are inside a larger barn (were horse stalls that I walled in) - but there is no electricity and they rely on each other. On the other hand - they have free range, room to get out, plenty of food (whole corn keeps them warmer from the gizzard action) and have it better than the wild turkeys and grouse (and deer) who take it as nature supplies it.

Five cats and the dog all in the house (the cats are not allowed out ever). And usually at least one "volunteer" barn cat that folks are kind enough to toss out their door as they drive by the house. The five that are now house cats - one has three legs (mauled as a kitten by a dog or coyote), one was near tore in half by a dog or coyote and had a kidney and intestines outside the abdominal wall and had to be reassembled, one has epilepsy, one was found in a dumpster at Dunkin Donuts and presented to us at age about three weeks and needed to be bottle fed, and the last one was found almost entirely starved and was eating the greasy cardboard of a happy meal. That had been a house cat that had no outdoor skills and she is absolutely beautiful now. All black long hair.

The local SPEAK knows we are soft touches and will give the hard or difficult adoption cases a good home.

Moe (needs one mo' leg)
HPIM2485.jpg

HPIM2721.jpg

Mooch (the most attentive cat ever - all healed up - but look close - Moe is behind him - best pals)

DSCN1350_zps11362731.jpg

Toad
HPIM0638.jpg

Poodie (and her protector Jake - our Kerry Blue Terrier - about eight years ago. Still pals)
JakeandKaty.jpg

Cricket
HPIM2630.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1092_zpse89bd51c.jpg
    DSCN1092_zpse89bd51c.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girl loves ya man... she was like awwwwwwww blahhhhh bllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhh.
Too cool man... keep up the dream my friend.

SkinNFluff

Dec 27, 2014
Harrison County, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was so cold here that we broke out the prosthetic fur for one of our dogs. After that he was a very happy dog and ready to go for his walk. As for me, well I just wanted to crawl back under the covers with the rest of the dogs.

xDSC06226.JPG

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have everyone beat! -7 now wind chill just hit -42 I hope the cowboys arrive today!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have got the AC on to 72, although its feels a bit chilly in the house when I come in from the beach......:laughing7: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have got the AC on to 72, although its feels a bit chilly in the house when I come in from the beach......:laughing7: :thumbsup:

BVI your post is the only post that I actually can bring myself to "like" heh...
The others here make me shutter.

I would not be typing...
Would be using computer screen as heater in my bed. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread