Might have found a good site(UP DATE GOLD)

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
I found out about a possable good hunting spot from a new reservist this last weekend at drills. I was on my laptop, bored, typical drill weekend doing some TH research like I always do when I have nothing to do and this new guy walks up. He asks me if I like old coins and I said yep. He said he was into buying them and collecting them but he showed me one he found on his property digging a garden.
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
I took the pictures using the laptop camera as it was the only one I had on me. It is a 1853 large cent. He does not own a
metal detector nor has he ever used one. He came back the next day with more coins that he says he pulled from 2 shovelfulls of
dirt. he thinks the place he got the dirt from was from an old wishing well. I held the coins but did not get pictures this time :(
1918 half, 1963 quarter, 1963 and 62 dime. He also said he found some badly corroded coins he could not identify.
I am bringing a good camera from now on to drills. but now I am stuck on 2 week training in New Jersey and won't be able to hunt the site until after next months drills >:(

He did say I was welcome to hunt the property but I wonder if he will wait for me to finish my training. I think I got him hooked on treasure hunting when I told him about how fun metal detecting can be ;D I hope he does not get a metal detector and clean out his property while I am gone. When I get done with training I will try to give a update with photos and post any finds. HH,
Donny

vvv Scroll down for the update vvv

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Re: Might have found a good site

8) It definitely sounds interesting. Hmmmm....AWOL sure sounds tempting. Nope, just kidding. Good luck when you get the chance. 8)

OP
OP
djabend

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
Re: Might have found a good site

UP DATE!

I hated sitting on this update for a day but I wanted to wait so I could get photos of some of the finds
THESE ARE NOT MY FINDS. They were found by the owner of the property and all he used was a shovel.
I was stuck on 2 and 1/2 weeks training for the Navy Reserve. But I back now and went on a hunt yesterday evening
Those finds will be posted in todays finds shortly.
Well enough talk ::) here are the pics:

$20 obv.JPG
$20 rev.JPG
This was the best gold coin found so far also found were a $10/5$ and 5 or 6 $1 coins, most little more then gold disks
large cent obv.JPG
large cent rev.JPG
This was the best large cent found so far
group 1.JPG
group 2.JPG
Here are all the coins that were shown to me there are many more but some have been sent in for grading, some need cleaning
die.JPG
This one is a mystery ??? I know what it is. Its a 20 sided die. But why was it
made of fine silver(he had it tested) and what was it doing in a wishing well?
I know no one can know for sure but post guesses for fun anyway :D
More info as I get it. HH,
Donny.

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Great finds. Can't wait to see what you come up with MDing the site.

As for the die, I've seen sets of those before. Thought the silver sets were kind of silly to pay for. Since they come in a set, maybe whoever tossed it had bad luck, so pitched it in the well to change the luck of the others? That's my guess.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen 20 sided dice in dungeon and dragons dice sets,but i dont know why anyone would have it made of silver then throw it away...
Nice pics..and some great coins....

scottone928

Jun 9, 2007
Green Cove Springs, Fl
Interesting finds. I wonder if the old wishing well was a drinking well at one time. I know in the old days they would put a silver dollar in the well as a disinfectant. Silver is great for that. Maybe someone just put in the die instead. Just a thought.

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
teverly said:
I have seen 20 sided dice in dungeon and dragons dice sets,but i dont know why anyone would have it made of silver then throw it away...
Nice pics..and some great coins....

I played D & D when I was a kid. I had a friend that collected pewter figurines for it. I suppose it's possible that someone thought a silver die might be nice.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Pretty clean coins for coming out of the ground, it must be good soil there. Can't wait to see your results.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
When I was younger I played D&D with a rich kid, or should I say his parents were rich. He had several sets of die including one made of pewter, one of what he claimed was gold, one he said was made out of real bones, and one set made out of semi-precious stones. I would bet that someone had a set of die for a purpose similar to that. He used a different set depending on the character he was playing at the time. Strange dude, I didn't last long in the D&D crowd.

OP
OP
djabend

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
Wow I thought this post had died a few months ago with only a few responses.
Thanks for the interesting ideas on the dice. Unfortunately hunting his property for the short time I was there did not
turn up any thing but a few pennys and the well was all filled in. He never did take me to the site of the well said he got
it pretty cleaned out. Well does not really matter now he is on treasure net and can post his own finds. I don't really like posting other peoples finds. HH,
Donny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread