Transmitting Sound with a Laser Beam!

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few electronics projects I built years ago.

I've already posted my High Powered "Burning" Lasers, but in case you missed it. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/446562-you-ll-burn-yer-eye-out-kid.html

Audio Laser transmitter and receiver.

Laser "Tripwire" Alarm

Analog version of the Knight Rider light, very simple to do with a microprocessor, but not so with analog electronics.

Microprocessor controlled LED array (scrolling message board) linked to my PC.

Digital Strobe Lights (processor controlled)

OP
OP
Nugs Bunny

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Analog Strobe Lights (microchips no processors)

Dual Timer

Random Light Chaser

Sequential Light Chaser

Simple Electric Motor

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive Nugs.
A bit off topic, but have you ever modified a metal detector in any way? You obviously have the ability.
Thanks
Peace ✌

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a good question, can a Laser Beam be used in treasure hunting ?Some how in the future, someone will figure out how to make a laser beam pickup metal in the ground. I use laser scan guns at work, and I can scan a bar code on a rack a few stories high, so it is a powefull technoligy, if only it could be used in treasure hunting.

OP
OP
Nugs Bunny

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive Nugs.
A bit off topic, but have you ever modified a metal detector in any way? You obviously have the ability.
Thanks
Peace ✌

Thanks! I have more videos I will post sometime.

I have never modded one... yet! :laughing7: But I do have a schematic to build one somewhere, one day I will get around to it, it's kind of a off and on Wintertime hobby. I'm not sure how well it would work compared to my Whites but it might make a really cool pinpointer.

OP
OP
Nugs Bunny

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a good question, can a Laser Beam be used in treasure hunting ?Some how in the future, someone will figure out how to make a laser beam pickup metal in the ground. I use laser scan guns at work, and I can scan a bar code on a rack a few stories high, so it is a powefull technoligy, if only it could be used in treasure hunting.

Yes it can!

The CIA has used the technology for years, they bounce a laser off a window, the sound vibrations in side the room can then be sent back on the reflected beam and that is the World's Coolest Wiretap... except it's wireless!

They have even implanted small crystals into the window glass of sensitive offices. (The glass was custom made) I forget the actual case, but if you search you may find it.

So if you can find the guy who knows where the Lost Dutchman's Mine is at... just bounce a laser off his window and listen! Lol! :laughing7:

All jokes aside, I can see microwave or even possibly lasers being used to find treasure in the ground. Metal detectors use electromagnet waves, radio waves, light waves, microwaves, x rays, gamma rays are all considered electromagnetic waves.

electromagnetic-spectrum.gif

The trick would be in how to decode the data and make it mean something. PS The CIA thing was no joke, they use the same principle as in my video.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember the CIA doing that. My understanding was that the glass acted like a receiver in a telephone. They might have had a device on their end that close coupled the beam to a resonate receiver. Like a tin can with buttons and string. I can see focusing the beam with an extremely small offset angle and receiving it's reflection to something that would resonate.
I think I thought of a new project for you.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting thread!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the detectors I know of seem to be based on reflecting energy. I suppose it's valid to consider how substances might act differently in how they absorb some type of energy like a beam. Like how different materials conduct heat.

OP
OP
Nugs Bunny

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the detectors I know of seem to be based on reflecting energy. I suppose it's valid to consider how substances might act differently in how they absorb some type of energy like a beam. Like how different materials conduct heat.

They use electromagnetic waves. Faraday's Law, Lenz's Law and Eddy Currents explain the physics.

Eddy currents are created in conductive materials when introduced to a magnetic field.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now some of your projects are kinda cool but listen to this...

I can take a new 2" x 4" x 8' board and in a few seconds turn it into enough hamster bedding for a few weeks!!!!! And I can prove it also. Ask the local pet shop I supply. Can't say how I do this miracle though... (trade secret).

In truth... I CAN'T HOLD A CANDLE TO YOU PARTNER!!!! :occasion14:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
They use eddy currents to find flaws in chiller piping. There is also a motor speed control that uses an eddy current clutch but I have no experience with that app.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a laser in underground treasure hunting would be difficult at best. Since a laser is a beam of light, it can be made ineffective by heavy fog. Maybe a laser used in conjunction with something else that can penetrate the ground with greater effectiveness.

Maybe someone could do a study on how radar waves can effect a laser beam. Seems simple enough. Fire a laser into a light reader. Bounce a radar wave (from say a GPR Unit) through the beam, and see if there is any effect on the laser beam.

Mike

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I completely admit I don't have a CLUE on how an MD works and/or how to improve it. And any suggestion, idea or stupid inquiry from me PLEASE excuse if this is elementary in nature to those in the know.

Without looking up "how an MD works" I'd like to understand how it works in very elementary terms. And I have my reasons. Please bear with my naïve intelligence on this matter.

It obviously works off of sound waves or "radio" waves... right or wrong??? I'm guessing the 1st... sound waves. And please DON"T overwhelm me with knowledge if I'm wrong. 1st -2nd grade level will do. If it is NOT sound waves... then what "signal" is directed into the ground for the MD to receive back and "report"? I have NEVER cared how it works in my life but I take great interest in taking a basic concept and twisting it around.... I actually make a living out of this years ago. Brad

OP
OP
Nugs Bunny

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely admit I don't have a CLUE on how an MD works and/or how to improve it. And any suggestion, idea or stupid inquiry from me PLEASE excuse if this is elementary in nature to those in the know.

Without looking up "how an MD works" I'd like to understand how it works in very elementary terms. And I have my reasons. Please bear with my naïve intelligence on this matter.

It obviously works off of sound waves or "radio" waves... right or wrong??? I'm guessing the 1st... sound waves. And please DON"T overwhelm me with knowledge if I'm wrong. 1st -2nd grade level will do. If it is NOT sound waves... then what "signal" is directed into the ground for the MD to receive back and "report"? I have NEVER cared how it works in my life but I take great interest in taking a basic concept and twisting it around.... I actually make a living out of this years ago. Brad

A detector uses electromagnetic waves.

Electricity and magnetism go hand and hand, one cannot exist with the other.

When conductive material is in the presence of a magnetic field it becomes "energized", electricity and a electromagnetic field are created.

A coil on a detector "energizes" objects in the ground, a separate section of the coil is able to "detect" the electromagnetic from the energized objects.

That is about as simple and basic as I can explain it, hope it helps. The videos I posted on electromagnetism and eddy current will explain the physics in more detail.

This link How Metal Detectors Work will explain it much better without overwhelming you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions