Any coffee "connoisseurs" out there ? What kind ? And "how do you like it" ?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 scoops of Folgers out the pot,then add about two big teaspoons of instant for that extra kick:oooh yeah!and black!

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Community Coffee with Chicory
12-oz--ground-coffee-and-chicory@1x.png

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
You know a guy is serious about coffee when he builds his own coffee pot!

cp5.jpg

It's hard to tell the size from the picture... It's 10" round on the bottom and 5" at the top, it is 18" tall to the top lid ring.
This "Creek Water" was made from 16ga stainless steel, hand formed, it holds 2 gallons when filled to the bottom of the spout.

cp.jpg

After the water and coffee is in the pot, it is placed directly in the fire until it starts to "roll", then placed on the edge of the fire until settled. The tapper prevents grounds from being poured into your cup.

Yeah.. I'd put my name on it!

name.jpg

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I've been drinking Maxwell House for the last 50 yrs. Its what Im used to. Probaby about 12 cups a day. I usually buy their columbian, if available.
My grandparents had a virtual coffee pot when i was a kid. Didn't matter, day or night, there was always a pot on the cookstove or on the gas stove. Everybody always would hang out there, so someone would fill a bunch of cups on a tray and bring them to the living room. Originally, I used cream and sugar. But there, you had to get up and go back to the kitchen for that. The rule there, was 'Move your feet, Lose your seat' So I soon learned to drink it black.
I like our local McDonalds coffee. At others, not so much. I would guess it is the same blend, so I blame the water.
I have a friend who roasts and grinds coffee. All of it I have tried has been good. I don't buy much of it because of the cost with the amount I drink.

Hondo

Jul 1, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my coffee black, and darker than my ex-wife's soul.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Colombian dark roast for me. I generally just buy a decent brand such as Folger's because I don't drink coffee enough to warrant saving money and buying the cheaper crap. If I need something to keep me awake, I will drink a cup or two of straight black, but if I want to really enjoy it, I will put liquid creamer, in plain, vanilla or hazelnut. Usually no sugar

McDonald s has a decent coffee, but I can't help but reminisce while drinking it about the million dollar lawsuits they had years ago when folks burned their laps because they spilled it. I will usually have them add a shot or two of vanilla flavoring to it.

No Starbucks for me simply because of all the hype. Kids now drink coffee when their parents take them there and everyone wonders why kids are so hyper these days. Back when I was active duty and pulling 48-72 hour training exercises with no sleep, I would take a couple of packets of MRE instant coffee and swallow it down with a few swigs of water to keep going.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
When I was a little kid my father did not allow me to drink coffee in the morning. He said it would keep me awake in school.

CT1976

Dec 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The finer it is the stronger it is. A buddy of mine from Australia, on his business trips, gets all sorts of strong coffees. One coffee that had the consistency of powdered sugar had me sweating and palpitating(!) Anything between colored water and that (which I've mentioned) is fine.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pinch of salt and then Eggshells and a dash of cold water to settle the grounds?

Nothing like "campfire coffee!"

The best cup of coffee I ever had was made like that, over a campfire on the Sheenjek river in Alaska. My buddy was good at making it, he threw a hand full of coffee into the cold, clean river water in the old enamelware coffee pot, added a pinch of salt and eggshells, then when it was done, a cup of cold water to settle the grounds. Ah, that's living !

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone enlighten me what the egg shells do for the cowboy coffee? I have made plenty of pots of campfire coffee but never put egg shells in it.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they reduce the acidity of the coffee a little and help keep the grounds down.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not exactly sure myself but it may be like adding Irish Moss or ground sturgeon bladder to beer mash at the end of the boil ("finings") to get the suspended solids to particulate out of the brew, which is where a lot of the bitterness resides. I know that's what the bit of cold water also helps with.

Like when you stretch it and take that last swig from the last cup out of the pot and suck in a mouthful of the grounds. Yumm.

Calcium is also alkaline so it will neutralize some of the acids. Probably if you could heat the coffee without boiling it there would be no need. But on a campfire it tends to get rolling pretty good and more of the acids come out of the grounds.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Another factor in the campfire coffee is the comfort level. When you are just sitting there all itchy and scratchy from lack of vermin extermination ability, That coffee supplies a necessary bit of comfort that really helps! Frank five star.png
6 06-1 Yellowstone 103-1.jpg

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't drink regular "joe" anymore. My stomach can't handle it. Now I'm regulated to de-caf...Which is kinda like coffee!!!

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
You pickup a lot of bitterness if you "cook" the coffee to long... coffee is stronger and more bitter from a percolator than a pot where coffee is dumped in on top of the cold water.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
My uncle made the strongest coffee I ever drank. On a hunting trip, he said we would all take turns cooking. He said he would take his turn first. Next morning the aroma of coffee brought me awake. The smell was invigorating, but when I poured it into the cup it was more like a syrup. He said "It don't take near as much water to make coffee as most people think". WOW would that stuff bring you alive. I drink mine black. Fortunately he was never allowed to cook anymore after that. I wonder if he did it on purpose? And his gravy, well that's another story. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions