Any coffee "connoisseurs" out there ? What kind ? And "how do you like it" ?

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whatever I brew up over the campfire works for me. Right now I have a can of regular Folger's in my camp gear. I can't get Cain's, but that was the staple in Oklahoma. No sugar or cream and very hot. I noticed growing up that those in my family with a greater degree of Indian blood would use an awful lot of sugar in their coffee. Another curious custom I observed among some of the old folks in SE Oklahoma is they never drank coffee out of the cup. They would pour it into a saucer, blow on it, and sip it from the saucer. I don't know where that came from and haven't seen it since.

Believe it or not, that is what the saucer was initially introduced for... There are even some very old paintings by some of "the great" artist depicting English and French royalty doing the same thing.

As time passed, the slurping (like burping and trencherboards) became "bad table manners" and the saucer became a place to set your spoon.

~Tejaas~

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Freshly ground, strong BLACK!!! Need to grow my own :)

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
There's a small coffee shop two blocks from me that roasts their own beans. The stuff that they sell is uniformly good, but their beans from Ethiopia and Papua New Guinea sort of changed the game for me. There are all sorts of berry and floral notes in those that I don't normally associate with coffee, and as a result I've become a bit spoiled. A lot of the coffee from other areas of the world that I used to like just don't do it any more for me now.

As BC1969 mentioned earlier, roasting the beans more results in more bitterness and less caffeine in the coffee. Taken to its logical extreme in the opposite direction, you have "white" coffee, which is barely toasted. Done correctly, you pretty much have to use an espresso grind or something close to it just to brew coffee, as the beans aren't as affected by the water as darker grinds are. The coffee brewed from this looks rather odd, being a sort of transluscent khaki color, but the bonus is even more caffeine (if that's an issue, and it is for me) and a nutty flavor that lacks any bitterness at all, reminding me strongly of peanut butter. I've been finding myself liking this more and more recently.

I've had coffee black, white, and everything in between. I like a little stevia or sucralose and cream with mine. I tend to treat my white coffee the same way out of habit but when I forget to, I don't notice much of a difference.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been drinking 12+ cups a day for 50 + years. Like to go to the coffee house next to the movie theater & get a triple espresso. The looks I get from the girls behind the counter are funny. Especially when I stop back in to get one for the road after the movie! Don't get wired very much, but if I go more than 6 or 7 hours without a cup, get headaches from withdrawals. Favorites are mid price Colombians brewed strong enough to hold a spoon upright.

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i never was one to put on airs……. All i drink is plain black coffee no sugar no cream and now for about the only coffee i buy to have at home for about the last 20 years is ,.. Dunkin donut original blend arabica coffee .., Buy it at dunkin donut's shop 3 lb's for $19.99 …. on the road driving truck if i do not have a Dunkin around i go to a Sheetz service station or a truck stop…….. Never buy at Starbucks or places like them.. Never drink that stuff that people call coffee now but it is not coffee to me...

I stop for a large cup of Sheetz service station coffee every morning. And get a cup to take home in the evening.
Works for me..

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was growing up, I didn't drink coffee. I remember my dad pouring coffee into his cup, then some into a saucer, blowing on it to cool it, then drinking it. After a while, the coffee in the cup was cool enough to drink from the cup. When I drink coffee now, I pour it into my cup and add a couple of ice cubes to cool it enough to drink. My mouth is tender (I guess from 40 years of smoking; you'd think it would be tougher!) and I can't drink hotter coffee. Yes, I like it black, no sugar, no milk, no cream, just straight, strong, black coffee.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was growing up, I didn't drink coffee. I remember my dad pouring coffee into his cup, then some into a saucer, blowing on it to cool it, then drinking it. After a while, the coffee in the cup was cool enough to drink from the cup. When I drink coffee now, I pour it into my cup and add a couple of ice cubes to cool it enough to drink. My mouth is tender (I guess from 40 years of smoking; you'd think it would be tougher!) and I can't drink hotter coffee. Yes, I like it black, no sugar, no milk, no cream, just straight, strong, black coffee.

Another word.....RAW!:laughing7:

takeonestepback

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually used to be a coffee roaster. Not at starbucks, and the term 'barista' pisses me off. I roasted over 15k lbs a day on a slow day.
I know the tricks of the trade/biz and my favorite coffee is one I made up at work.
Let me explain first how things work in roasting coffee. A huge myth is darker the roast = stronger coffee = more caffeine. You'd be wrong, dead to rights. Think about this, the worlds best coffees are light (city) roasted. Why? Because it's like a pizza, the more you burn it, it doesn't give you more flavor.
My mix was Maui, Kona, and JBM all roasted separately to a nice 62.5 agtron. You take that and cold brew it for 24 hours and you have the smoothest coffee that packs enough punch to revive Jesus himself just by pouring on his grave. It provides all the best coffee, and the 24 hr cold brew soaks up all the caffeine without any bitter taste.

Sent from my beer can using pocket lint.

takeonestepback

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dubbed it 3 Fire Island. It was my Mona Lisa of coffee.

Sent from my beer can using pocket lint.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok ... Ill take 2 - "3 fire islands" with cream and sugar.
Please "hold" the pocket lint.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Can't drink regular "joe" anymore. My stomach can't handle it. Now I'm regulated to de-caf...Which is kinda like coffee!!!

Hate to tell you this, but decaf is just regular coffee that has been soaked in salt water to 'neutralize' the caffeen.
Frank five star.png

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drink my coffee black no sugar. I prefer Starbucks Pike place roast but also enjoy Dunkin Donuts coffee as well

tracey17

Dec 26, 2014
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coffee......LOVE IT!!!

I've been trying Caribou Blend coffee. Also LOVE Diedrich's morning blend, and I'm a REGULAR Gevalia drinker!!:key::key:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kahona or Starbucks vanilla bean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions